So, what are the benefits of the tall(er) iPhone?

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Orange County, California
We all know why we hate the iPhone 4SLong, but what are the potential benefits of this design? Any pros we can can come up with? Is Apple thinking of things we are missing?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
16:9 video
Extra row of icons on the home screen
More on screen content in safari and apps

This think if you surf a website in portrait all the time there will be more content on the screen without scrolling. what benefit would a wider screen be in portrait mode? Make things a little bigger? hardly. This is a good idea that is the easiest way for apple to make the screen bigger with little to no draw backs. im all for it.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
There must be benefits - there is a reason we are not designing the phone and other people are.

I cant wait for the release.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Extra row of icons on the home screen
More on screen content in safari and apps

This think if you surf a website in portrait all the time there will be more content on the screen without scrolling. what benefit would a wider screen be in portrait mode? Make things a little bigger? hardly. This is a good idea that is the easiest way for apple to make the screen bigger with little to no draw backs. im all for it.
Agree. Apparently everyone watches movies on their iPhone...

garbeth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Brisvegas
This isn't Apple's first time designing a phone. I'm sure they have their reason which will become apparent.
Either that or it'll be a giant flop (but I doubt it) ;)

smotheredhope

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2009
The S in the 4S is for Speed
The 5 in the iPhone 5 is for 5 rows

Revolutionary, apple! Really great work. :rolleyes:

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I am by no means an App developer, but from what I understand most Apps will be able to utilize the extra space right off the bat if programed properly. I'm not sure the technicals of it but I read that somewhere.

What I am really hoping for is a banner area that can be customized. This area could have weather information, a sports score ticker, toggles (wifi, blu-tooth, other settings), etc. that is open to third party developers. I bet they could do some pretty creative things. That would be awesome.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Vertically, enough of an increase for one additional row of icons.

Horizontally, no change, same old size.

A change of aspect ratio to 16:9.

Yet that's an extremely limited "feature". Personally I have a 75" widescreen TV / Home Theatre display for movies.

It's awfully hard for friends & family to crowd around a minuscule 3.5" display to enjoy a movie. :D

----------

I am by no means an App developer, but from what I understand most Apps will be able to utilize the extra space right off the bat if programed properly. I'm not sure the technicals of it but I read that somewhere.

What I am really hoping for is a banner area that can be customized. This area could have weather information, a sports score ticker, toggles (wifi, blu-tooth, other settings), etc. that is open to third party developers. I bet they could do some pretty creative things. That would be awesome.
I can't imagine anything "awesome" on such a tiny display.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
We all know why we hate the iPhone 4SLong, but what are the potential benefits of this design? Any pros we can can come up with? Is Apple thinking of things we are missing?

EASY one handed use
More content on screen.
Doesn't break the 600,000+ apps
Keeps iPhone at a manageable size (not a behemoth)

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Vertically, enough of an increase for one additional row of icons.

Horizontally, no change, same old size.

A change of aspect ratio to 16:9.

Yet that's an extremely limited "feature". Personally I have a 75" widescreen TV / Home Theatre display for movies.

It's awfully hard for friends & family to crowd around a minuscule 3.5" display to enjoy a movie. :D

----------

I can't imagine anything "awesome" on such a tiny display.
Yeah I forgot I need a 75in display to fully enjoy reading a sports score or to turn off wifi by hitting a wifi toggle.

Its not healthy to be so cynical all the time...

takezo808

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
bigger screen. That what samsung has been doing. They have capitalized on a delusional masses that believe having the biggest screen means better phone. Increase of the screen of iphone 5 will be .5 inches. Yet the iphone leaked photo shows a product just slightly longer than original. 4" android phones are far bigger in size and width. Sure the thickness has decreased a lot due to the shrinking of components. Apple's iphone 5 will have the larger screen people have been waiting for but not compromise the size and feel that people come to expect.

If iphone 4s which does not look any diffrent than iphone 4 can sell big. An iphone that finally gives users the screen increase they want. It will totaly change smartphone design and newer android phones will focus on 4" screens with a smaller footprint. Samsung's phablets will fade into obscurity like those brick phones of the past.

P1otr

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
PL
None for me. I love the 4s size. It perfectly fits my hand and pocket. I will not exchange it for the iP5. I simply looks a bit too big to be used and carried comfortably.

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011

Not if it's a game.

Anyways, I want a wider screen, not a taller screen.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Portrait is the most used configuration on an iPhone thus more vertical space means you'll see more info while retaining compatibility with current docks if you own one.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Agree. Apparently everyone watches movies on their iPhone...
Movies are just one thing that 16:9 screens are useful for. You also seem to have ignored the other points.

----------

The s in 4s is for siri? Not speed.
I really think your looking to much into it trying to work out what the s stands for. In the 3GS it was speed but for the 4S apple probably did it because people already associated the s with an upgraded device. If that makes any sense.