So what do I do for the next iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SilentLoner, Apr 21, 2012.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

So I have the iPhone 4s on verizon. I know what I'm like and when the next iPhone is out I will want that. Now I will still be under contract so what would I need to do. Especially if I get one from the apple store?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Well you won't be eligible for an upgrade, so you will have to pay full price.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Not on Verizon, but I'd guess you'd either need to buy an unlocked iP5 (lets call it that for the sake of easiness) or pay the ETF charge which is likely to be quite high.

4. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Is the etf a Set fee?

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

$350 minus $10 for each month of a fulfilled contract.

6. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Cheers. Would I be able to sort that at an apple store? Anyone done this with the iPhone 4 Verizon one and the iPhone 4s?

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You can;t do an ETF at the Apple store, and AFAIK they terminate the line and you lose your number with your ETF. I know ATT allows you to just buy the new iPhone every year for $200 below retail as long as you sign for two years again. Verizon may offer this as well, I am not sure. That might be something worth calling about.

8. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

This is exactly why I bought a used 4 off ebay, rather than be tied into another 2 year contract for a mid-cycle phone. Not that big of a difference between the two, to feel like I'm missing anything.

9. andyx3x macrumors 65816

You should be able to sell your 4S on Craigslist next fall for around $375-$400 and that will pay your ETF and leave you some extra money to put toward the new iPhone.

10. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

So I would lose my number, cant I just say to verizon when I get the phone, look I'll pay the full price just give me the damn phone and keep me for an extra two years lol

11. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

IIRC, when you want to upgrade, you don't need to pay the ETF, you just need to pay the full upgrade price. Or if you have another upgrade on one of your lines, you can steal that one. but likes someone said above, sell your 4s on craigslist or ebay and get like $400 then just pay the difference for the full 5.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

AT&T eliminated 12 month upgrades last year for all customers. Not special iPhone exemptions anymore.

Verizon eliminated 12 month upgrades last year.

Sprint eliminated 12 month upgrades last year as well.

Get the trend with the big three carriers?

If people used their upgrade to buy the iPhone 4s at subsidized pricing last October. They won't get the $199/299 subsidized pricing for sixth gen iPhone.

1. Sell iPhone 4s to buy sixth gen iPhone outright
    2. Add another line to buy at new contract price

13. andyx3x macrumors 65816

You can keep your number regardless of what you do to get the new iPhone. If you just buy it outright, you'll just transfer that phone to your main line. If you open a new line to get subsidized pricing, you can transfer the number from one phone to the other before you cancel the line that you don't want.

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

You just buy the iphone at the full price, probably around $500-$600. You could buy it from verizon or the apple store, but if you want to save some effort you could buy it at radio shack and best buy and trade in the old 4s to make a few hundred bucks back.

15. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

That's funny since "mid-cycle" phones generally have more changes and improvements than the others.

Outside of cosmetics, there's much more of a difference between the 4 and 4S than there was between the 3GS and 4.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I can't speak for Verizon and Sprint, but AT&T will give you $200 off any smartphone's retail price at the 12 month mark (notice I am not saying you get an iPhone for $200, but $200 OFF of retail, which would be $450). They still do this. If you are not upgrade eligible, but have hit at least the 12 month mark, you can check for yourself by logging in and attempting to put a smartphone in your cart.

17. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Sell or trade your 4S online and then buy/trade for the new iPhone. I had a 10 month old iPhone 4 which I traded for a 2 month old Blackberry Bold 9900. Then a few weeks after the 4S came out I was able to trade the Blackberry + $40 for a brand new in the box 4S which I still use now.

So pretty much paid $40 for an upgrade, and will try to do something similar for the next iPhone.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wish $500.
    Full price iphones are $649, $749 and $849 plus tax. 16GB, 32GB and 64GB the most expensive one.

19. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I have 2 lines, 1 of which is my daughter. Our contracts are 1 year apart. She currently uses a ip4 and me the 4S. Her line Is already eligible for a full upgrade. So when the 5 comes out I will just use her upgrade for the 5. And I'll either sell my 32 ip4S or give it to my daughter.

20. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

What if your daughter wants the next iPhone?

21. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Yeah thats what I might do, as I could just give my current line to my gf, and transfer my account over to the new phone via *228 right?