So what does it cost to upgrade to the new iphone without the full discount?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krashx7, Jul 13, 2013.

1. krashx7 macrumors regular

I know the new one is coming up in a few months and I just uprgraded last year to the 5. Id rather just get the new one when it comes out for multiple reasons but I wont go into that. How much does AT&T charge? I know its still discounted but how much. Like the 16gb version is always 200 bucks. How much more is it without the full upgrade?

Thanks

2. cynics macrumors G4

Dunno how much AT&T charges for unsubsidized but off contract unlocked is 650-850 depending capacity.

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

Only AT&T knows at this point. Past history may not be the best indicator now that the Galaxy S4 has created a lot of pressure on Apple. We're seeing discounts on iPhones we've never seen in the past, a trend that's likely to continue.

4. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Actually, if you log into your account on AT&T's website and click on upgrade, it will tell you what the upgrade price is for the current phone. Since there is no way to tell what the price of the new phone will be when it comes out, this would probably give you the worse case scenario for an early upgrade.

5. krashx7 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes Im aware of that. Wasn't what I was asking at all..

6. krashx7 thread starter macrumors regular

ha websites says 450 to upgrade. Im sure I could sell my 5 for that. thanks anyway for the replies.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Actually, that is what you're asking. I'm not sure why you think there's some type of discount, but you get three tiers of pricing

Subsidized
    Early upgrade
    Unsubsidized

You're probably looking at 450-850 depending on the capacity, but again, I don't think AT&T is going to give you early upgrade price.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You qualify for early upgrade pricing 6 months after your previous upgrade. Early upgrading price is the full subsidized price, in this case, $199, $299 or $399 + $250 for the early upgrade "fee".

9. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

An early upgrade at a discounted price on AT&T starts at $449 for the 16GB, but with no discount at all it starts at $649 for the 16GB.

I have an early upgrade available that I'm gonna use this year on the 5S.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No idea until they announce it.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Really? No idea at all? Has iphone new model pricing varied much in the last four generations? I'd say one can make a pretty reasonable estimate, with the caveat that it could change; "no idea" isn't accurate.

12. atteligibility macrumors regular

I am getting the new iPhone every single year.
    At first ATT would let you upgrade to the new one with no extra cost.
    Last year they started charging $250 early upgrade fee (+$36 upgrade fee).
    So the lowest priced new iPhone would end up costing $199+$250+$36=$485
    Some of us that argued hours over the phone with ATT got some of that extra fees waived, mostly depending on your monthly bill.
    I personally got 2 months of free service and $36 back, so the upgrade for me was $199+~$90
    Some with higher bills got the fee completely waived, others got nothing.
    Last month, ATT made their upgrade policy a little less friendly, so we could imagine that negotiating those fees down will be even more difficult.

I personally am tired of having to call ATT for this kind of argument. I just switched to T-Mobile with the cheap $30 prepaid plan. I will buy the new iPhone unlocked when it comes out, won't need to argue with anybody, and end up with a much lower bill.