So what exactly is backed up/restored through iTunes (or iCloud)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sakau2007, Jun 21, 2012.

1. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

I made sure I backed up everything the best to my ability before upgrading from a 3GS to a 4. I was disappointed to see the following was not backed up:

- none of my text messages
    - none of my login information for the various apps I use
    - none of my custom ringtones and texttones for all of my different contacts

I know there are utilities to back up text messages (anyone reccommend a good free one?) but is there any way to deal with the other two? I have different ringtones and texttones for almost all of my 200 contacts. It was a huge pain for me to go through and set all those again. I shudder to think I will have to do it again when I upgrade to the new iPhone this fall.

One related question concerning my custom ringtones and text tones...

I use Google ActiveSync to keep my contacts synced up with Google over the air. None of the contacts are stored on the phone (best I can tell, otherwise, I'd have duplicates). Is there a better way to approach this? If I back up all the contacts through iCloud, would that keep all my ringtone settings correct?

2. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Text messages and all app data should have been backed up.

For security reasons I don't think they keep the login info for anything.

All app data is backed up. The apps themselves are not.

Google active sync and iCloud essentially do the same thing. Cloud based sync of contacts. The iCloud solution may work better since it's Apple's but personally I use google active sync as well and have had no issues.

I'm assuming you did all of this through iTunes?
    -Backup 3GS in iTunes.
    -Plug the 4 in.
    -Right click -> Restore from backup.
    -Select the 3GS backup to restore from.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

3. sakau2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i did all of that. the texts were backed up now that i think about it...i just didn't backup my phone for a few weeks before i got a new phone... a mistake i won't make again.

the ringtones is the real kicker. takes me a couple hours to get them all straight. i'm curious if i back up through iCloud, if it will remember the ringtones. that could save me a whole lot of time in a few months.

4. jman240 macrumors 6502a

When I restore from iCloud it puts all my ringtones back. Even the custom ones I didn't buy. However, I have it set to manually manage content on my phone instead of the sync method. I have to drag and drop everything but I find I never connect it to iTunes anymore anyway.

Just to clarify. Last time I did a restore, it was via icloud, and it restored all my custom Tones.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

But does it maintain the associations with contacts (what the OP is asking)?

6. sakau2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

This.

I've got specific ringtones for specific people so I don't have to look at my phone to know who is texting and calling.

I was quite disappointed to find that when I upgraded, all my contacts were set to the default tones, though my custom tones were all on my phone.

7. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I wish I knew. I don't assign specific tones to specific contacts. I would assume the iCloud sync would but maybe google doesnt restore that information into the contact cards. Sorry I don't know.

8. sakau2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

If nobody knows I may do some testing with this and see if I can get the answer. I'm sure I'm not the only person that would like to know!

9. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Easy way to test. Set a custom ringtone on a contact. Go into settings and delete your google active sync info and then re-add it so it has to download all your contacts again. I'm betting there's no field for custom ringtone in the google contact cards.

You could probably try the same thing with iCloud to see what happens. Just turn the contacts part off or something that will wipe out the contacts stored on your phone to see if they come back with custom ringtone info.