So What Happened To The Legendary Mac Story ? (MBP hanging)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, Feb 11, 2014.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Long before I started owning a MacBook I was smitten :eek: by these Legendary stories...that I used to hear about Mac that a Mac never...never...ever gets hanged ! ;)

Was it just a Myth ?? :rolleyes: I don't know ? :confused: I am forced to think other wise...:cool: the reason being my experience today and some days back. Today I had multiple activities going on my Macbook, was watching Youtube Videos, some other Videos as well on a Flash Enabled website, couple of more websites open, 2-3 word Documents open aswell and I was trying to copy paste from one word doc to another and when I did tried pasting, the spinning Disc kind of thing appears...just like the sand clock that appears for something is processing in window so that spinning disc appeared and just kept on spinning for about 5 minutes meaning the word.doc did not finish its task and the paste command was not executed, finally I hd to force quit the word APP and reopen it. Only then it got working...And the state of awestruck which I was in, finally got shattered to make me believe that yes ! Even a Mac does hang !! Also I had to restart Firefox also once, even that had stopped responding so I had to force quit that aswell...:rolleyes:

By the way on a more serious note do you guys think it was because of no RAM to execute the Task, I have a rMBP 13" with a i5 processor and 8 GB RAM. iStat Menus RAM reading Said I had key 50 MB of RAM left when my word document got hanged. So do you guys think was this because of shortage of available RAM to execute that task, or was it one isolated incident which has a lot to do with the WORD APP and not the entire RAM in general...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course it was a myth, and I don't know where you heard that. Any computer can have problems, and any computer can be maxed out to the point where it becomes unresponsive.

Check Activity Monitor to see what processes are consuming system resources, and check your RAM usage. Be sure to change "My Processes" to "All Processes".

As far as a Word document is concerned, your problem could stem from a corrupt font or document.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Any Music Perfomance especially these DJ's that use a computer they have to have a MAC, the other day I was at one of the other music shows, all the lights on the stage there, were controlled by a software on the Mac....So if such a reliability is entrusted on the Mac, getting hanged is that not betraying of that trust :rolleyes:

----------

Where to do this ? I mean where in Activity Monitor ? And what will it do ?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're attempting to attribute specific problems that you're having to Macs in general, which is flawed reasoning. You simply need to troubleshoot your own specific problems and find a resolution, rather than trying to blame Macs in general for your specific issues.
    This is further evidence of the fact that you're not qualified to blame Mac products for your problems, since you apparently aren't as familiar with your Mac as you need to be. Activity Monitor is an app in your /Applications/Utilities folder, that enables you to check the current status of the various components of your system.

5. simsaladimbamba

In Mavericks it is under the VIEW Menu Bar item.
    And it will show all running processes on your Mac. It makes it easier to trouble shoot.

If you do not have OS X 10.9 Mavericks:

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

6. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

lol ! @simsaladimbamba who edited my thread's title ? Was it you ? No but I don't wanna change the thread title :D your sign does not say you moderate this section ?

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

In my experience, the beauty of the Activity Monitor is that you can usually identify the problem process and kill it there. If it is an important process like Finder, it will restart and (hopefully) no longer be a problem child. :)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A moderator changed your thread title to make it less ambiguous. Using a thread title that describes the problem you're having will enable you to get better responses.

From the Forum FAQ:

9. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Ok so coming back to my concern, by any chance is it also a RAM issue ? Did it fall short of available RAM but I guess 8 GB of RAM should not be such a concerning issue !! Isn't that good enough ?

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Members of the Moderation Team have the designation "Moderator" under their username.

Similarly, Administrators have the word "Administrator" under their username, and Editors have the Word "Editor" under their username.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why you need to look at Activity Monitor, to determine if RAM was an issue. Simply guessing without checking facts is a poor way to approach troubleshooting.

12. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yeah but that's what I am saying when my Word DOc Got Hanged the RAM reading said 50MB of only free RAM available so what could that mean ?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you still had free RAM available at the time Word was hanging, it's very likely RAM wasn't the problem.

14. Robisan macrumors 6502

I apologize -- I don't want to divert this thread but I just looked at Activity Monitor for the first time and I have a (hopefully) quick question. What is the "file cache" and how do I see it? Is there a way to clear it? Thx.

(Right now I have two apps and the system using ~3.7gb of App Memory and ~3.3gb of File Cache. With Wired Memory using ~0.9gb, my 8gb is essentially full with just Firefox and Thunderbird running!?)

15. simsaladimbamba

You only mentioned iStat Menus yet. Have you looked at Activity Monitor yet?

We can ask this all night if you want to evade the answer.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your system will manage memory without your interference. Caches exist to improve performance, not degrade it, so unless there's a specific problem with a specific cache, it's not advisable to clear them. Just let OS X manage itself.

17. simsaladimbamba

File Cache is Inactive Memory: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/67031/isnt-inactive-memory-a-waste-of-resources/67048#67048

18. Robisan macrumors 6502

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

50MB of free RAM isn't much. It means that only 0.6% of your memory is unused.

However, for a more accurate description, will you just go open up Activity Monitor, for crying out loud, and check how much swap you've used? And the app memory as well?

Take a look at my screenshot. Although 'Memory Used' shows 5.07GB, actually only 1.64GB is used by apps.

Meanwhile, 'Swap Used' is 0MB because I still have plenty of RAM left.

If your 'Swap Used' isn't much, you still have enough RAM. Also, if the Memory Pressure remains green, it's fine.

Attached Files:

20. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Thanks ! For the explanation !!