So what happens at the end of the beta?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mreffinsweet, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mreffinsweet macrumors newbie

This is my first beta testing for OSX. So what happens at the end? Am I going to have an update and then ask me for my credit card?

2. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

A reinstall of the GM or Public release and if the update is not free (Which, I doubt it won't be) - you will need to pay for it first before downloading it, yes.

3. heyadrian macrumors member

Since Lion, Apple have introduces Expiry dates to their Betas. There's speculation whether the Beta's (or the Gold Master, aka GM) have (or will have) one when it comes to OS X.

As an apple dev, I used lion GM until a week after its release when i decided to buy it.

GM is pretty much the final 'of the betas' though in the public release there is usually a few 'funky things' unlocked and a few final bugs ironed out.

If I were you, do what I do and keep constant TimeMachine backups of everything on your development machines. Another thing I like to do is keep a 20GB - 30GB free at the end of the drive (unpartitioned) so if the GM expires and the Public release can't be restored from TimeMachine, I can always use the Migration Assistant to move across all of my development tools.

The other linklihood, which WAS the case as from lion, is that you get the App Store pop up and ask you for your Apple ID (developer linked ID) to ensure that you aren't a bootlegger. Hopefully this is the case again, and I can start trusting that I won't get booted out permanently (which hasn't happened to date).

As a developer (in various environments) I've learned all too many times to keep safe measures in place to avoid any inconveniences.

Just to keep on the safe side, it's also worth keeping any User Data i.e. whatever is in your Documents user folder backed up.

I personally use Automator for this which fires off after TimeMachine regulars and dumps the whole Documents folder to the HFS+ partitions I have on my backup drives.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

A

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

With both Lion and Mountain Lion, the redeemed gold master copies on the Mac App Store became the final release versions after release (at-least for me anyway). I never needed to repurchase them, nor server tools.

5. mreffinsweet thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Why do you make a separate backup of your documents folder?
    Doesn't time machine do this for you?

7. heyadrian macrumors member

I do with beta's :) Through beta's, as the versions differ, the various time-machines backups made from older versions of the beta's sometimes aren't compatible.

This isn't always the case, but as i said, I like to walk on the safe side :D

8. BlankStar macrumors regular

Your mac will explode obviously. All beta's end with a self-destruct.

Haven't seen those pix of exploded iPhones? Those were end of beta's.

9. heyadrian macrumors member

I thought the exploded iPhones were a direct result of thieving jail breakers :p

10. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Nothing happens. You will receive a GM build which will update as a normal purchased copy.

That said I still pay for my license (and the ability to install it on to new computers).