So what happens next year when new phones launch? (merged)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smartass, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Smartass macrumors 6502a

So currently we have Iphone 5s and iPhone 5c. No more iphone 5 since they removed it to make way for 5c. So next year we can expect Iphone 6 and iphone 6c and no more iphone 5s? Or do you think they gonna continue with iPhone 6, 5c and 5s? oh so many questions

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not sure about the 5C to 6C but rest assured, I think you'll see the 5S around at least until the 6S. History tends to repeat itself here.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

4. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6 and iPhone 5c. The iPhone 5s gets dropped and the 5c stays for a second iteration.

I have nooo idea how Apple will play it.

5. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

They will most likely drop the numbers once Apple introduces a larger size iPhone. There are only so many designs you can get out of a rectangle Unless they start making iPhones In the shape of a football or circle.

6. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I think it will be:

Iphone 6

and Iphone (light or just Iphone C).

and 2015 Iphone 6C and Iphone 6S.

I expect the Iphone 5C has to drop down and replace the 4S and offer a real budget 4" retina phone next year.

7. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

iPhone naming convention next year

This should be interesting.
    Flagship phone will presumably be iPhone 6.
    iPhone 5S becomes... what? Not iPhone 6C. Will there be a new phone called iPhone 6C? Perhaps with a bigger screen and iPhone 5S internals?
    iPhone 5C replaces current iPhone 4S as the cheapest iPhone offering?

On a side note, I get that the 5C is a 5 in a cheaper-to-produce, higher-profit-margin case so that Apple can sell it at a slightly cheaper price point and make the same margins. What I think is cheeky is the 4S goes from 16GB at $99 on-contract to 8GB for $0 on-contract. Really? 8GB in a smartphone these days? They do it every year! Next year will iPhone 5C go to 8GB for $0 on-contract? Gotta maintain those margins...!

8. lazard macrumors 65816

most likely

iPhone 6 - aluminum chassis $199 for 16 gb.
    iPhone 6C - plastic. $99 for 16 gb with 2 yr contract.
    iPhone 5C - free on contract

9. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Best case scenario ever:

iPhone 6: Liquidmetal, in all colors.
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 5C

10. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Still waiting for the iPhone 69 jokes.

logic is
    2014 iPhone 6 iOS 8
    2015 iPhone 6S iOS 9 = iPhone 69 teehee. Ok thats all. Just a random thought, but iOS is going to outpace the iPhone in numbers very quickly. They should've matched them, it would show logical progression and limit consumer confusion.

11. terzinator macrumors 6502

I'd guess next year we'll see:

iPhone 6 (32GB, 64GB, 128GB)
    iPhone 5C (16GB, 32GB, 64GB... will perhaps have the 5S internals)

and there you go.

12. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

This.

13. midsguy macrumors newbie

Next year's launches

I understand the reason for it this year, but do you think Apple will have just the one annual launch for both phones next year?
    I wonder if it may be a better idea to launch one phone in say June/July and the other in say Sept/Oct in order to differentiate clearly between the 2 models and the 2 target audiences. What do you guys think?

14. businezguy macrumors 6502

I think they'll handle the launch exactly the way they did this year.

15. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

16. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

It's a strange one because the 6 is potentially going to have a bigger screen. So weather they make a 6c with a bigger screen would be interesting. I suppose it hinges on the success of the 5c.

17. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

This is what I'm hoping and what would get me to switch back.

iPhone 6 @ 4.7"+ Rumors says Apple is testing up to 6".

iPhone "mini" or "Classic" @ 3.5"

I say 4.7" is the minimum and I love my hTc One.

If you're going to make a cheap iPhone price it cheap, not $599.99?!?!

18. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

I think that apple will make iPhone 6 (32GB, 64GB, 128GB),iPhone 5C with 5S internals and maybe iphone 5 for free :confused:

19. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

They should have named it the iphone 7 and drop the S names a long time ago. They shouldn't have named the iphone 2 the iphone 3G and its successor the 3GS. That was where the problems started

20. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Apple never actually hinted it was intended to be a cheap iPhone though ;)
    If you think logically, it's just the iPhone 5 on the inside, and it has taken the place that the 5 WOULD have dropped to this year in terms of price, except it's cheaper to make, thus making them more profit.

It's a tough one to call though for next year. I think they'll introduce a larger screen iPhone, but I don't think they want more than different 3 models on the market at a time. That said, I reckon we'll get this outcome:

iPhone 6 with a 4.3 inch screen - it's bigger, but not so big that fans of the current 4 inch size will be completely put off;
    iPhone 5S sticks around in all it's golden glory
    and a new "C" class model that lands at a slightly cheaper price than this year.

21. MetaKn1ght macrumors newbie

I suspect that we will only see new C-class hardware (as in iPhone 5C), in "refinement" years; odd numbered years, or "S-class" phone years. It makes sense if Apple's goal is to no longer offer 2 different phones with the same form factor as they have in the past. The 5C achieves this by replacing the 5 and being sold along side the 5S. Since next year will supposedly be a new design year, we could expect the 5S to fill the $99 on contract spot, since it wont be sharing the exact same form factor as the new flagship phone (iPhone 6, or whatever they call it), and the 5C will be the free on contract offering. The following year is when we could see a new C-class phone for $99 on contract to be offered along side the 6S (or whatever), and the 5S would occupy the free on contract slot like the 4S does currently. Basically I think the lineup will look like this for the next few years:

Currently:
    iphone 5S: $199
    iphone 5C: $99
    iphone 4S: free

2014:
    iphone 6 (new design): $199
    iphone 5S: $99
    iphone 5C: free

2015 (will look a lot like this year's lineup):
    iphone 6S (same design as 6): $199
    iphone 6C (new, plastic design): $99
    iphone 5S: free

In each case, the 3 phone tiers each have their own hardware design. Which I suspect might be one of the goals of Apple's 5C offering.

22. bushman4 macrumors 68000

That depends on what path Apple decides to take.as well as what path cellular carriers go as far as subsidized IPhones
    Fear not as we can expect many changes in the smartphone market in the next couple of years. The reason is simple ...... The smartphone market is saturated and Apple will have to employ better technologies and as we'll as hardware and software to get customers to update

23. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I was wondering the same thing. I think Apple just totally screwed themselves in the naming department. Sure they'll figure it out. They should have just dropped the 5 from the 5C and just went with iPhone C. Then the next gen could have been iPhone C2

24. lazard macrumors 65816

[​IMG][​IMG]

25. CEmajr macrumors 601

I agree this seems the most likely scenario.