So what if Apple does a teardrop iPhone?

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
1. Due to simple physics, the aluminum would also have to have 2 plastic bands just like the leaks. It would also count the rounded corners which would make it look bad. Just because it's teardrop, doesn't mean it magically won't obey physics. Otherwise antenna gate 2.0
2. The imbalance in thickness would make it feel awkward in landscape
3. Because of uneven thickness, the battery wouldn't be as good as it can be. Thus causing battery issues.

There are reasons Apple and highly experienced engineers axed that design. Unfortunately it seems that some people know too much. And they get worked up so much that this new design looks "too much" like the iPhone 4/4S.

The galaxy S3 is the S2 but with a bigger screen, a thinner body, and a slightly modified back. Isn't that what this new iPhone design is? On contrast, the S3 still retains a cheap plastic body(funny enough the iPhone has a new body), it still has those stupid capacitive buttons, and with those touchwiz enhancements(most of them gimmicky), it still has that fragmentation.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
1. Due to simple physics, the aluminum would also have to have 2 plastic bands just like the leaks. It would also count the rounded corners which would make it look bad. Just because it's teardrop, doesn't mean it magically won't obey physics. Otherwise antenna gate 2.0
2. The imbalance in thickness would make it feel awkward in landscape
3. Because of uneven thickness, the battery wouldn't be as good as it can be. Thus causing battery issues.

There are reasons Apple and highly experienced engineers axed that design. Unfortunately it seems that some people know too much. And they get worked up so much that this new design looks "too much" like the iPhone 4/4S.

The galaxy S3 is the S2 but with a bigger screen, a thinner body, and a slightly modified back. Isn't that what this new iPhone design is? On contrast, the S3 still retains a cheap plastic body, it still has those stupid capacitive buttons, and with those touchwiz enhancements(most of them gimmicky), it still has that fragmentation.
that is why everyone thinks it will not be a tear drop.....so you made a most to confirm what everyone else already believes....

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
So what if Apple does a teardrop iPhone?
Impossible. That's too innovative for Apple. A really new design plus a slightly bigger display plus 4G LTE? It's already magical that they can tweak the 2010 iPhone 4 design, add a little bit more screen diagonal and add 4G LTE.

And it will be the best iPhone ever.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Even the concept of a teardrop phone has been debunked about 150 times already. There's no room for internals in the lower half, it won't support it's own weight in a dock (not that there's even room for a connector or speakers down there) and would feel terrible in landscape. Why do people keep bringing this up?

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I have no idea what's the obsession with the impossible teardrop shape. Last year most people seemed convinced of the leaked iphone 5 teardrop design. So much that case manufactured lost money making cases for it.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Impossible. That's too innovative for Apple. A really new design plus a slightly bigger display plus 4G LTE? It's already magical that they can tweak the 2010 iPhone 4 design, add a little bit more screen diagonal and add 4G LTE.

Fine, so what do you want?

----------

Plus, you've got to at least see all the new features before making such an idiotic assumption

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Fine, so what do you want?

----------

Plus, you've got to at least see all the new features before making such an idiotic assumption
Hey, all I'm saying is that the next iPhone will get a slightly bigger screen, 4G LTE (North-America support only, obviously) and an updated 2010 iPhone 4 design - it will be magical.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Hey, all I'm saying is that the next iPhone will get a slightly bigger screen, 4G LTE (North-America support only, obviously) and an updated 2010 iPhone 4 design - it will be magical.
Once again, you haven't seen all the features. Tell me which device you've seen in 2012 that has a new physical innovation which isn't incremental or a speed improvement. Nowadays, most of it is in software

----------

It's not going to be a teardrop design and everyone knows that. But thank you for the thread on a dead topic.
I disagree that everyone knows that. What its mainly meant for is for the people that WANT one and think that they SHOULD have done one instead of the current leaked designs.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Once again, you haven't seen all the features. Tell me which device you've seen in 2012 that has a new physical innovation which isn't incremental or a speed improvement. Nowadays, most of it is in software
Okay, sorry. The next iPhone might or might not get 4G LTE, the next iPhone might or might not get a slightly upgraded 2010 iPhone 4 design and the next iPhone might or might not get a slightly bigger screen - and thus the next iPhone might or might not be magical, as usual.

Oh, and looking at design. HTC One X is quite nice. Samsung Galaxy S3 is drastically different compared to the Galaxy S2 design wise (although it does look like the Nexus).

I think the new iPhone sucks... but I dont want the tear drop either... And I know the teardrop design cannot work... What category do I fall in?
I agree with this. I don't think the new iPhone sucks, but I'm not excited about it either. A teardrop design, indeed, will not work.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Okay, sorry. The next iPhone might or might not get 4G LTE, the next iPhone might or might not get a slightly upgraded 2010 iPhone 4 design and the next iPhone might or might not get a slightly bigger screen - and thus the next iPhone might or might not be magical, as usual.

Oh, and looking at design. HTC One X is quite nice. Samsung Galaxy S3 is drastically different compared to the Galaxy S2 design wise (although it does look like the Nexus).

I agree with this. I don't think the new iPhone sucks, but I'm not excited about it either. A teardrop design, indeed, will not work.
you aint excited most probably because you dont know whats going in it

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I don't care either way. I'm content with my 4s. If the new iPhone manages to somehow wow me; then I'll just upgrade in December. I use very little cellular data since I'm almost always within wifi range when I sit down to do something data intensive; so even 4g LTE doesn't do it for me.

Lower expectations, less disappointment. Works with women as well as technology. ^^

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I really do not know what to say if you call this drastically different....one is rounded one is not.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Don't forget the camera and sensors changed sides. ;)
:) People are so weird with the new iphone, if it is in fact what we are getting. The design is sleek and sexy. If they could keep going thinner that works for me. Personally it is all about hardware and software. Obviously you want it to look good, but guess what, the 4/4s already look great.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
:) People are so weird with the new iphone, if it is in fact what we are getting. The design is sleek and sexy. If they could keep going thinner that works for me. Personally it is all about hardware and software. Obviously you want it to look good, but guess what, the 4/4s already look great.
Yep, cannot wait to get my hands on one.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I really do not know what to say if you call this drastically different....one is rounded one is not.
I consider it drastically different, especially compared to the rumoured sixth generation iPhone's design. Both devices also feel completely different in your hand.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I consider it drastically different, especially compared to the rumoured sixth generation iPhone's design. Both devices also feel completely different in your hand.
Obviously, the new iPhone and GS3 are two different phones... :confused:

You still haven't said how the S3 is drastically different design wise from the S2...