So what if it comes down to "super delegates"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Feb 14, 2008.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/14/superdelegates/index.html

The Dems better not screw this up or we are in for some really pissed off voters.

I for one believe that whoever gets the most votes should be the nomenee, but some super delegates (Edward kennedy and John Kerry to name a few) have already said they are voting for a candidate even though that particular candidate did not win their states popular vote... :mad:

2. stevegmu macrumors regular

I had lunch with a Democrat strategist today, who seems to think the Super-Delegates will vote for Hillary, because the Dem political insiders have the antiquated notion that H. Clinton is best for the party, and has the best chance to win the general election.

There's a reason H. Clinton was all smiles when the topic of SuperDelegates was raised last week.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

For all of her talk about making sure that the voters' voices are heard while she campaigns trying to get MI and FL delegates counted, she should also be encouraging all of the superdelegates to back whomever has the most pledged delegates.

Somehow I just don't see that happening, and it goes to prove that the voters' voices are only meant to be heard when they favor her.

4. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

The thinking up until a week or two ago was that Hilary had this locked up if it went to the convention.

Basically, the theory was Obama's only chance was to beat her outright in the primaries.

Since then, I think Obama's wins have been so convincing and especially the past week, he's stringed together enough victories that it will be hard for the super delegates to ignore.

I think if Hilary loses Ohio or Texas, she can kiss her super delegate lead goodbye, and will probably lose the vote even if she wins both those states...

5. stevegmu macrumors regular

With the states awarding delegates proportionally. H. Clinton will be close- even if she loses every state. She's leading in polls in Ohio by double digits.

6. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Wasn't she in South Carolina as well? And look what happened there.

Count as someone who thought it was inevitable she'd get the nomination just last week, but seem to think the Obama machine is unstoppable now.

The only thing that might work for her is the big break before the Ohio and Texas primaries. It may help cool off some of the Obama momentum...

7. stevegmu macrumors regular

From what I heard a couple hours ago, her numbers are actually going up.
    I think she has something up her sleeve which she will use to attack B. Obama with. She doesn't seem as worried as she should be. She also fights dirty.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It's too close to call anyone unstoppable at this point without a 300+ delegate lead.

It doesn't help with the GOP nomination pretty much over and Limbaugh pulling for Clinton because he thinks she's the best shot at a GOP win. There could be a massive push for GOP to vote for Clinton in TX to influence the process.

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I didn't mean literally, I was referring more to the perception people currently have of his campaign. Sorry if that wasn't clear...

That very well may have happened anyway. Texas is the GOP stronghold, after all...

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It is a GOP stronghold, but if the GOP nomination was still in serious contention it might have pulled more GOP faithful to vote in their party primary rather than try to influence the Democratic one....

It's always been my fear that the primary and two party system could lead to both sides doing what they can to get the least electable candidate to the nomination for the other party thus giving the US voters the worst two candidates to choose from in the general election....

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If its too close. Say a by 15 or 25 delegates. Can the superdelegates vote either way?

12. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i hate the idea of super delegates. undemocratic.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Whoever said party politics were democratic? :confused:

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The superdelegates can vote either way no matter how close the margin. With 796 of them and a candidate who has them all in their back pocket that candidate can win despite a 795 delegate lead from their opponent....

Although I can't see that happening in a blowout like that, but with this close election it may come down to it and Clinton currently leads the tallys by ~80 superdelegates. On the plus side they are free to change their minds as they see fit so there's no guarantee they'll go with Clinton if Obama keeps up his momentum.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm hopeing it comes down to the ultradelegates, or the awesomegates.

If we make the system sound absurd enough, maybe we'll come up with something that can produce optimal results and not funnel money into the deep dark earth.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

if it comes down to the super delegates I truly have little hope for the dems. They are to split on a candidate to see them all voting for the winner.

17. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Yes! I've been telling people for years that our gov't actually finances Satan in hell through a series of subterranean pneumatic tubes. At last another believer!

18. Queso macrumors G4

If the Superdelegates can make the two front-runners see sense, pick one as the candidate but under the condition the other is the running mate, it could work for the party as a whole.

However, common sense and politics rarely exist in the same sphere, so I'll be extremely surprised if that happens.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Do super-delegates have super powers then?

If not.... I suspect my imagination has been lying to me yet again ;)

20. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I don't know if that will work this year. Sure it looks good on paper, but if it gets negative and nasty before the primaries are over it will give ammo to the oposition, "you guys were at each other's throats 2 months ago, now you're best friends?"

And while I have faith that the US can elect a woman or an African American as president, I'm not so sure that it's ready for having both on the same ticket... especially since they are both also from northern states so there's no one to court the south which could push the election back to the GOP.

21. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I don't think it'll happen either, but for some other reasons. Firstly, if Obama wins (and I hope he does), there's no way Hilary will accept playing second fiddle to him. Plus, I don't think Obama would enjoy having Bill Clinton hanging around the White House either.

Although, since you brought up having an African American and a woman together on the ticket, I found it interesting that one of the names that keeps coming up as a possible running mate for Obama is Kathleen Sebelius (Gov. of Kansas). I honestly don't know much about her except that she gave the Dems response to Bush's State of the Union, but I think it's noteworthy that another woman is being floated around as a possible VP (Geraldine Ferraro aside)

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I would expect either one to pick a running mate from a southern state so I could see the KS governor, although, I personally think that the running mate for both will probably be a white southern-ish male to link back to the status-quo and ease some of the tensions among those who do have an issue with the race and gender of the candidates.

23. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Unless they've written off 50% or so of the white male vote to Republicans. Which would be a dumb idea, but this IS the Democratic party. I heard somewhere Joe Biden's name being mentioned, which personally I would like, but he has a way too severe case of Foot-In-Mouth Disease to be a viable choice. As for the "white southern-ish male" thing...didn't work too well for John Kerry.

As long as the choice is legit, and not an obvious attempt to pander to a specific demographic, I'll be fine with it.

24. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Is Texas an open primary? I'm guessing it is, based on this.

I never understood why voters from one party should be able to vote in the other party's primary. Because I wouldn't put it past the GOP to screw up the Dems nomination just like you're suggesting.