So, what is your opinion of the Amazon Kindle?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iphonepiephone, Jul 13, 2011.

1. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

So, what is your opinion of the Amazon Kindle?

I just bought one to try it out... not 100% sure of my firm opinion one way or the other yet. Suffice it to say, these devices have a gigantic amount of work needed on them, if they're to be even considered for the (ridiculous) "replacement" of paper books; not gonna happen. Ever. EVER.

Thoughts?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I love mine. I enjoy reading books much more now (this is just for "normal" reading, not text books and studying). I love the fact that i only have to use one hand and that I can try samples/get new books when I'm lying in bed at night and want to read something different.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I love mine and it has completely replaced paper books for me so it's not "ridiculous" for everyone...

4. iphonepiephone thread starter macrumors regular

My point, and I think you well know it, is that it will never replace paper overall. It may suit you, it doesn't suit all. They are great tech, but don't "feel right" to me, but that's just me, eh.

5. palpatine, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

palpatine macrumors 68040

i have the kindle dx (big one). i love it. i love the small one. great products. highly recommended. but, they aren't for everyone. if you aren't a big reader (a book or two a month) then you probably won't get much benefit out of it. i'd seriously consider reading on an ipad or ipod.

if you are a big reader, especially if you read a book or two a day, then the kindle may just change your life :)

be warned about one thing, though. amazon has a very spotty record about updates. i have had the dx for a year. still no updates. still no word if there will be updates. i have emailed repeatedly. no clear answer. i still have no page numbers (for example) while people who paid about 1/3 as much for the smaller kindle have received multiple updates. very frustrating in this respect. still a good device, but don't expect the kind of support you get from apple.

oh. i forgot to address your point about paper. i don't think the kindle is meant to completely supplant paper. taking advantage of technology they have revolutionized book publishing, book selling, and book consumption. but, there is still a market for traditional books, especially if you read specialized works. personally, i prefer the kindle and ipad over paper books, but as a researcher i'll take knowledge however i can get it! i have digitized my personal library, and scan any paper book i buy, while also spending several hours a day in the library with my old pulpy friends.

in short: there is room for both paper and digital texts in the world. but, next time you have an international flight, which one would you rather bring along? a time and place for everything :)

6. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

like mine. The screen is superb for reading text. the keyboard takes up too much room, and it sucks (it's not needed for much). the interface is sketchy, and the 4-way keypad keys are recessed too much for my fingers.

if they could come up with an touch interface with iPad level feel (and get rid of the physical kbd), it would be fantastic

7. iphonepiephone, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

iphonepiephone thread starter macrumors regular

Ah yes, I was just saying these exact same words to my Mum, earlier - this is supposed to replace books, so lose all the menu clunk and buttons - I wanna READ A BOOK, not work out menus.

Also, my Kindle refuses outright to connect to Wifi, 99.99% of the time - this has happened ALL DAY, and since I bought it. I am in the UK, and I hear various stories about people being shipped new Kindles due to faults etc - I purchased this from a chain store (PC World) but they clearly stated "NOT TO BE RETURNED", and even though yes, it is faulty and I have a consumer right to return it, I don't wish to argue or debate with those idiots in the store... so will Amazon ship me a replacement, seeing as I cannot connect via Wifi? (all else about it works spot on :))

Help, please... I want to like this device!

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have an older gen (2nd maybe?), before the WiFi model and when they were still only in white. Anyway, I like it. The buttons and keyboard don't really bother me once I actually get into the book. I don't have any problems clicking the next page button. The menus are clunky, though. I do love that e-ink screen, though. I have the Kindle app on my iPad, and I hate trying to read on that glossy screen.

I still buy paper books, though. I like browsing through the sale/clearance section at the bookstore. I can find some good bargains there.

9. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I bought my Kindle from Currys (PC World) and returned it fine got a brand new one right there and then. Kindle is a marvelous device, I use it on the train to work all the time, also use it on the Plane when I goto America for work, it's brilliant and you can read in sunlight :)

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I got Mrs Cake one for Christmas, and she very much loves it.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have the Kindle DX2 (graphite), and it's fantastic for regular books. For textbooks and scientific journal PDFs, it's not amazing, but not too bad.

I carry roughly 10 textbooks and ~80 journal articles on mine, and really love reading on it. However, flipping backwards and forwards between pages isn't fun, which is why I believe it's not great for this type of reading. It does allow me to carry all my reading with me when I go on vacation, go somewhere for business reasons, or when I'm at work and don't want to work in front of my computer.

However, I made the right voice when I bought the Kindle. ;)

12. mscriv, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I don't have a Kindle, but a blog I visit on occasion is run by a guy who uses an iPad, Kindle, Nook, etc. Here's his review on the Kindle. If you poke around his blog you will also find posts about the Kindle DX and the Nook. He's a teacher so what I enjoy about his reviews are the way he describes practical uses and shortcomings of the products. Anyway, I just thought the link might help.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I love my Kindle. My wife and kids got me the newest one for Fathers Day. I love it. I don't buy paperbacks any more. I'm able to carry around hundreds of books with me. It gets great battery life (I left for vacation 2 weeks ago, and inspite of heavy reading, even with the lighted cover that uses the Kindle's battery I haven't had to charge it yet.)

The Kindle has a dictionary so I can look up words. The search feature is great. I use the keyboard to make notes for my reading in my graduate classes.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think if I read books a lot, it would be great. But I only read intermittently, so I just stick with regular books.

15. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I don't own a Kindle, but it seems like a good idea, especially for travel. I hope to get one soon.

16. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Love mine. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. I read a lot, and it makes it easy to having a bunch of books with me.

Most importantly (especially for summer reading), the screen is absolutely perfect to read off of in sunlight and otherwise. The e-ink on the Kindle is really top notch. I'm so glad I'll have it for my vacation this year.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the kindle has been easier on my eyes. Plus I tend to read more using it over my iphone. I debated ion it or the nook but the single thing was the syncing between my kindle and iphone. thats handy I use the iphone in the dark as all the lighting options for the kindle are too bright. so when I start the kindle app it syncs to the page I left off on the kindle or the iphone. Plus the app is one of the better ones over the nook or ibooks.

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...and others feel the exact opposite. I don't think it replaces paper books outright, but it's a close enough approximation to spend the $140 to carry around more reading material than I can read in several months.

I think the Kindle does what it's supposed to do just fine. Light, easy to read, and easy to hold.

19. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I don't own one. I read books here and there on my iPad, but I still prefer paperback. I like holding the physical book in my hands, knowing how much I've read and how much I've left to go. I like being able to dogear the pages or use a bookmark. I love the character that some of my old books have - the worn spines, discolored pages, and "old book" smells.

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't read a lot of books, but when I do, I always use my Kindle. I find it better than my iPad or traditional books.

21. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

22. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Love my Kindle. Use it every day. The size, weight, and feel of it is really nice. The screen has surprised me. When I bought it I half expected some eye strain after long hours of reading, but I think I've experienced less eye strain using the Kindle than some paper books.

So, to summarize...
    Size is great
    Feel of the device is great
    Screen is perfect for reading
    No eye strain, and possibly less than conventional books (my personal opinion)
    Battery life is loooong

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Thanks for that link, I prowled around looking at some of his other tech reviews and comments. This is an era when software and hardware manufacturers alike are trying to make the most of the overall e-reading market, even while touting the features of their own offerings. So many products and apps claim to be useful for the same functions, claim they can use or adapt the same formats, etc. I do like reviews from people who are clearly using an assortment of the technology, who write well and can thus share useful details on the interfaces of related hardware and software.

PS - Might be the first time I stashed bookmarks for a blog like "This Lamp" in my TechBuzz collection :D

24. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I liked it a lot, and used it regularly until I got an iPad. For the device itself, my only complaint was the slight lag when "turning" pages. I was willing to live with that and the selection of available books.

Since getting an iPad, I'll only pick up the Kindle if the iPad is in use. The Kindle does one thing well, the iPad does everything well enough for my uses.

25. iphonepiephone thread starter macrumors regular

The iPad does e-books... sorry, "iBooks" :rolleyes: badly. E-ink is the way forward, eye strain and backlighting isn't. For the rest of its' functions, iPad is great. My friend said earlier: "Oh, I don't need a kindle - I have the Android Kindle app"... as if he'd just invented the app himself. Had to sigh.

PS: I don't need to eat any more - I bought an app that does it for me.