So what kind of fps are you guys getting in Crysis using 8800gt in Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ok I'm getting my nvidia 8800gt card tomarrow and just curious what kind of fps you guys are getting in mid-high or even just all high settings? I know that crysis is really demanding card and high would run not too well but whats best settings in 1920x1200 on the nvidia 8800gt under windows vista?

Also I'm thinking about installing windows vista 64bit, does it make a difference 64bit or 32bit??

2. MartinelliMinim macrumors newbie

Most would be 20 fps.

Most would be 20 fps. I just got two evga 8800 gt superclocked video cards. I flashed the bios so it would work both in windows and mac. And it was a success! But now i am attempting to SLI the two cards together so i ordered the cable on ebay. Hopefully it works. But then again rumors are saying that tomorrow the 9800 is coming out. If so i will be sure to get that card then try and run crysis.

3. Spud1 macrumors member

Running with all settings on very high, at 1280x1024 I get around 30fps in Crysis.

Stock Macpro with the 8800GT (2x2.8ghz Quads, 2GB ram). I get some stuttering when going into new areas, or when theres loads of koreans around in a village etc (especially in the big fight scene near the start, with the tanks) - but thats down to the lack of ram..got some more on the way so things should improve :)

Turning things down to just High gives a bigger boost and pretty much stops the stuttering..but it just looks so damn good on very high :D

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I just got my nvidia 8800gt card a few days back and I've been playing crysis with all settings on high and no AA @ 1920x1050 (or was it 1080 forgot). Seems like it runs at around 20-30 fps (not bad and still a pleasure to play).

Man the graphics are crazy detailed!!

5. Pili macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

get around 40fps with mid-high settings at 1920x1200 with the latest drivers.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your attempt will be in utter vain. It doesn't work.

In the event that you can modify some software to get it to work, POST IT HERE AND PROVE ME WRONG. I'd love to do it.

7. warheart macrumors newbie

crysis

If u run it at 1280 x 720 or close to that aspect ratio (which is xbox360 rez for a comparison). I have everything set to high and no AA. my FPS runs between 30 & 48 FPS. I am using the official Nvidai drivers not the ones provided by apple. I have also software OC'ed my 8800 using Rivatuner only by 50MHz. I did not OC the memory.

8. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

The Mac Pro uses an Intel Chipset, whilst SLi requires certain nVidia chipsets, so it won't work i'm afraid.

9. mac2maverick macrumors regular

mac2maverick

Crysis on 2008 MP single 2.8 quad 2GB 8800GT

I have a single 2.8 core and only 2 GB or ram and it works great on high but stutters on very high. Anti-aliasing really bogs things down so I keep it turned off. Graphics are amazing! I'm only using the 32-bit home basic version of vista but I've ordered the 64-bit. Dell 1920X1200

I've heard that the using 2 8800GT's doesn't work yet but that the ATI's work connected in this way.

How are you guys reading the fps? I'm new to this gaming thing and don't even know what anti-aliasing is.

10. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Hmm.. fps isnt so bad for crysis on the mac pro. nvidia 8800gt card is pretty good but more than good enough for what I need my mac pro for anyways! Gaming is the last thing I do on the mac pro :D

11. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Reviews on barefeats.com seem to indicate that the 8800 doesn't do as well on non-gaming apps. Is that still true? I think their definition of "pro apps" is stuff that uses Core Image...

http://barefeats.com/harper10.html

12. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yes, for now the ati HD 2600xt is better for pro apps than the nvidia 8800gt.

13. mac2maverick macrumors regular

mac2maverick

What the heck are you doing that you need 16 GB's of Ram??? Holy @#% !

14. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

What the heck are you doing that you need 16 GB's of Ram??? Holy @#% !

Believe it or not, most of the MacPro owners are serious users, not Gamers, and web surfers.
    I have 8GB ram & have maxed it out often doing 3D, Compositing, Music Production, Compressing video, amongst other things. Even when not maxing the ram out having swap ram ready to load makes everything quicker.
    I cant wait till 4GB ram modules come down in price, so I can max my machine to 32GB. It will get used, if not all the time, then for swap ram.
    In my business too much is never enough.