So what should i get?? LCD HDTV or LCD Monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alam, Oct 4, 2008.

?

LCD HDTV or LCD Monitor

Poll closed Nov 4, 2008.
  1. LCD HDTV

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. LCD Monitor

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  1. alam macrumors regular

alam

hello everyone :apple:

i decided to get the mac pro this week :cool:

so i'm confused between the Samsung LCD HDTV LN32A650 or get a regular 30-inch monitor :confused:

and i've heard that some people had problems with connecting there mac pros to an LCD HDTV, is there solutions??

and what cables do i need for connecting my mac pro to an lcd hdtv?

i want to use my mac pro for gaming, movies and music, so what is the best sloution for my mac pro? :D

thanks

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

There could be an issue with aspect-ratios, as monitors don't always follow TV ratios.

Personally - I use a monitor (in my case as 24"), as it has a higher resolution than a 1080p display. (the 24" is 1920 x 1200). A 30" monitor will almost certainly have MUCH higher resolution than a 30" 1080P TV.

If you want to be playing HD video on the monitor (Blu-Ray), be sure that it's HDCP compliant.

3. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well thanks for the advice but if i choose an a LCD HDTV Sholdn't i get a higher resolution, i mean above 1900x1200 maybe 2500xsomthing, right because it's bigger :confused: or i can get it only with a monitor?

and what is "HDCP compliant"?

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

1080p gives you 1920x1080 (16:9 ratio)
    23"-27" monitor will give you 1920x1200 (16:10 ratio)
    30" monitor will give you 2560x1600

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdcp

5. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

so the best resolution is the monitor, and i need to make sure when i buy an a monitor i get hdcp right?
    but what about the picture quality and gaming preformance? which looks better and cooler the monitor or the lcd hdtv:cool:?

6. smogsy macrumors 6502a

monitor will be better for everything as pixels are smaller = sharper picture my monitor beats my $1600 TV easily

but my monitor is high qaulity

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Many TV's have overscan (and can't be adjusted) so you will lose from 2% to 5% of the picture edges. This is unexpectable for computer use.

8. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

crap, today i was at the electronic shop and the 30-inch is very expensive 1300$ :eek:

i have a thrown display 19-inch still in a good shape :eek:
    if you were in my position what would you do?
    1_ use the thrown 19-inch display until the prices of the 30-inch decrease?
    2_ get an LCD HDTV in a cheaper price?

i'm really confused now because of the prices and the resolution :mad:

i have two problems which i'm stuck in a no way out:-
    1_ LCD HDTV doesn't have a good resolution, but it's cheap.
    2_ 30-inch Monitor is better in resolution, but very expensive.

so tell me which choice you do?

9. grue macrumors 65816

This is not the case on Samsung displays.

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Here is the short of HDCP. If you buy a non-HDCP compliant monitor, and attempt to play back a copy-protected HD movie - it won't work. It's to prevent people copying HD movies (via recording, ect...) YES, it sucks, and yes I'm opposed to it. BUT, if you want to be watching Blu-Ray movies on a monitor in HD, it needs HDCP.

As for your conflict - you get what you pay for. Rather than a 30", consider a 24"? I have a Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP (24") monitor. I paid $419 US with free shipping. (you just have to wait and find sales / coupon codes - which are everywhere on the web) It's got more inputs than most people need, and it has picture in picture / picture by picture - so I can be using it as a monitor AND watch tv/movies at the same time. I don't like Dell, but I do like this monitor. And for some reason, it's STILL cheaper than most 24" LCD tvs I'm seeing in stores - which confuses me, as they're lower resolution, and usually lower quality panels. Anyhow, good luck with your choice.

11. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well all i have 1100$ left, i don't know where i can find a monitor 30-inch with money :confused:

i guess i will take my old display and wait for the sales prices to go down :rolleyes:, then i might have a chance :mad:

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

13. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

this is a great idea, i don't have problem for shipment to saudi arabia because i have an account at aramex for shipment stuff from u.s to to my country :cool:

i'm gonna think about it but i'm also gonna wait for the release of the new apple displays, my apple reseller told that there are going to be some drops on the monitors, so i guess thats another idea too, because it's really nice to have apple products instead of mixture between products (dell, apple, hp....etc) to feel more inerd :p

anyway thanks guy for helping me with your great ideas again :D, it's really good to know alot about the product before getting it, because i want don't to regret the day i bought it :eek: