Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
My new Watch is on the delivery truck. So it occurred to me that after all this time waiting I really didn't know what I was going to do with it once I had it paired with my iPhone. I do know I won't be loading it up with loads of apps until I really find out which ones I really need. But are there are a few "must have" apps, I should install? What about work out apps? I plan on using the Watch to keep track of distances walked when I do my morning walks. Should I install a third party app for this or is the installed Workout app okay? My initial thougts are to just turn on notifications for mail and text messages, but are there any other notifications I should consider? What about Settings, any I should change from the installed setting? Any advice on things you did with the Watch after you got it paired would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Took photos of my unboxing and posted them everywhere, sent them to everyone, even if not interested.:p

----------

I don't think I've ever sent a heart beat. I don't know anyone else with a watch. Can I send it to myself to see what it feels like?

If you add your own contact data to "Friends" in the Apple Watch app on the iPhone you can.

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Get rid of anything you don't need. Limit your glances to stuff you use duly. The best uses/apps are ones that have simple interactions. I glance at incoming message and email. The canned messages responses are very useful. I use timers every day. You can glance at your map and navigate home from wherever you are. Hey Siri is great when it works. It's responding better after the update but it hangs sometimes when trying to send a Message after dictation.

The modular watch face is my favorite simply because there so much info. Having your net scheduled thing displayed is just great.

Simple glances and quick interactions are where the Watch can shine.

Sfau03

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
Turn on Prominent Haptic. Put your iPhone in your pocket. Resist the learned habits of looking at your phone frequently and spend a couple days trying to access what you need via the watch. After a couple days, if you are like me, you will be using your phone far fewer times throughout the day, and getting the details you want / need from the watch.

Oh. And if you don't exercise much yet, pay attention to the fitness features. They will nag you into doing what you know you should anyway, and provide another justification to your mind on why you spent money on this thing.

Congrats and enjoy it. Its a personal device and what it does/doesn't do for you is also personal and will vary widely from person to person.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The first thing I did in the store was customize some different watch faces. Then I checked out the weather, which is an app I will probably use a lot. Then I flipped through some glances to get a feel for how that works. Then I tried out the photos app which was smoother than I thought it would be.

Does anyone know if you can sync the latest photos from a shared photo stream to your watch? Or does it have to be 200 picked from an album or whatever?

The thing I will probably try first when I get mine in person is using the remote camera shutter, the Apple TV remote, and make a phone call/send some messages to see how that feels.

Is it possible to turn down the call volume separate from the watch system volume? I think if I held the watch like six inches from my mouth a lower volume would probably be able to be registered by me but not most people around me if I'm shopping and need to ask my wife a question or whatever.

Sfau03

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
The latest update IMHO got the volume increased to the point that it is now "usable" as a speaker phone.. That being said, I still don't see many people using that part of the phone often... Just like any speakerphone it can/is distracting and disturbing for others around you. YMMV, and it is cool to use, but i doubt many of us will use it much in day to day activities.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I initially had it set to automatically install apps, just to see what was available from my phone. I wanted to see which ones might be useful in ways that made them compelling enough for the wrist. I easily deleted over half. It seems that a lot of developers just don't "get it" and the watch versions of their apps were a joke.

Some of the first things I did (aside from taking a lot of photo and video of the unboxing) was:
tested every single app to see if they were worth keeping; modified/added/deleted glances; tweaked some watch faces (I now switch between Modular and Solar depending on the occassion - work vs. rest); later that evening I received an important call while cooking dinner - was awesome to be able to just take it on the watch!

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
I don't think I've ever sent a heart beat. I don't know anyone else with a watch. Can I send it to myself to see what it feels like?

My wife and I share iTunes login. She doesn't use any of the iCloud stuff so, it has not been a big issue so far, although I would really love to be able to have multiple logins on a single iTunes account or something, but any way if i send her a doodle or heartbeat I receive it on my watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.