So, what would you do if you have a bonus 1-month long paid vacation?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Nov 27, 2008.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

As the title states, I would like to hear your ideas.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Personally I'd take the opportunity to do very little.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd hunt down and kill "DVDs Offer" for the spam.

Insightful. :p

"What would you recommend."
    "How about the 'soup du jour'"
    "What's that?"
    "It's....the soup of the day."
    "Mmmmmm....soup of the day. Sounds delicious. I'll have one of those."

4. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I'd eat my way around South East Asia. Start off flying to Hong Kong for a Dim Sum feast. Then some Pho in Vietnam, work my way through Thailand, Malaysia and finally Singapore, trying to hit a few beaches along the way.

Edit: I'd probably need to be earning a bit more money to do this though!

5. bier-meister macrumors regular

Chill!!
    I was in a similar position in September. Went island hopping in Hawaii and LA for 3 weeks and spent a week playing xbox!

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The bonus is the 1 month paid vacation? No moneys involved? What time of year?

I really do like cruises.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I like that, but then again, I like Asia. I'm a foodie, and Asian food is so much better than "Westernized" food from North America and Europe. And the biggest cost will be flight. Vietnam, Thailand, and Malaysia (add Laos if you want since you're already in the area) are cheap places to eat, while Singapore and Hong Kong can still be fairly cheap. For the price of a McDonald's combo meal, you can get a pretty nice bowl of fish balls and noodles, or won tons and noodles if you want to play it safer. :) Hotels in Hong Kong and Singapore are what would kill you, not food.

Personally, if I had a month, I'd do South America. A 3 or 4 month trip could cost you around $1500 if you rough it, so a 1 month trip would be cheap (and potentially lots of fun and danger).

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

But fish balls are tiny surely ? you'll need a few of them to fill you up :)

Anyway id find a nice beach somewhere hot drink a few beers have a few smokes & chill

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's hard to say. I used to work so much I was never able to take any PTO. I had to cash out every now and again because I would it the 200hr limit. When I was laid off I got a check for 170 hours which was nice since my severance screwed me out of unemployment until Dec. 12

If you have the funds I would take a nice vacation. If not I would save up to take a real trip somewhere. What I always wanted to do was travel Europe. I wanted to hit England and stay with my buddy Joey for a few days go out and have a couple pints. Then hit up Denmark, Visit friends in Germany, See the caves in Romania, visit more friends in Sweden, then finally visit family in Norway.

I always had the money, but every time I started planning I would get caught up in quarter long projects at work. Once I even got called in as I was on my way to the airport to go off to Japan. At least I was reimbursed for my failed vacation, but it was still maddening.

10. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Finally get my ass up and start making some music again. I got time and motivation, but rarely at the same occasion.

11. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

All the travel suggestions are great, but if you don't plan on traveling:

use these 30 days to make a change in your life. We all have things we'd like to change about our lifestyle, but always blame a busy work schedule, or whatever excuse we can find.

In those 30 days, you can decide to start exercising, eat healthy, etc. Chances are when your back to work, you just won't be able to stop what you already started since you've gotten used to it.

I did this with exercise and eating healthy. I had a chance not to work for 2 months, and I started swimming and doing weights daily. I've been back to work for 8 months and I can never not exercise regardless of how busy work is, I'll always find time to do some exercise and make sure I eat properly. It's a really big change in life :D

OR...

make a long list of movies and TV shows you always wanted to watch, get an 8 DVD Netflix subscription for that one month, and eat junk food. Sleep on your lazy boy, wake up, continue watching your DVDs.

Make sure the only time you get fresh air is when you go out to mail your DVDs back.

Also make sure you have some videogames to occupy you while you wait for the DVDs to be sent back to you.

You should do this for the 25 days in the month, then use the last 5 days to detoxify your body from all the junk food and soft drinks you have consumed, to clean up the mess you have made in your house, and to readjust your clock back to work time.

I also had the opportunity to do this as well :D

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Take the longest Orient Express route I could find with my girlfriend.
    Been looking at doing that for a while now.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Depends. If I had enough advance notice of this trip, I'd save my money and spend the month traveling somewhere. If I walk into work Monday and my boss suddenly says "Go take a month off" I probably wouldn't be able to afford to. At least not for the entire month, maybe a week or so. Then I'd spend the remaining time at home on my ass doing nothing :D

15. Stepper macrumors regular

+1

I would probably sleep all day...nothing better then getting payed to sleep :D

16. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I had 30 days vacation for 20+ years while I was in the military. I never used them all at one time. I can't. I get bored after about 3 days and need to work again.
    I'm weird I guess.

17. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I would say you go to Germany and travel to all the Castles in the area and surrounding countries. That is my dream vacation!

18. calculus Guest

calculus

Hang out with the one I love, read the newspaper and drink coffee.

19. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I'd take a nice long vacation from Rte 1 in San Diego, up the coast to Seattle - stopping at the small towns and coffee shops along the way.

20. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

This is like a a sabasitica before the official internal job transfer from one part of the company to another. I am in it now. Basically, the company gave me a free paid month long holiday prior to the transfer (there is no penalty to it whatsoever). So, it is basically a month long free vacation time.

21. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Right on, Malone. That's what I started doing. I live on the river side and there is the nice 10km-long cycling path right in front of my condo. I started taking the brisk walk (about 1.25 hours) listening to the audio tape (I am listening to Michael Crichton's State of Fear now) every day. Sometimes, I hop on my cycle for a few hours.

22. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

God, you guys are reading my mind. I am doing that as well now. I used to wake up at 4 a.m. in the morning (to exercise my mind by reading news and books to start off the day on the right foot). Now, I nudged it down to 8 a.m. to start the day:eek:
    I still wake up a 4 a.m. first. So, I know I can revert back to my old schedule right away.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

24. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

OMG, the Maldives are beautiful. Do you recommend any affordable and nice hotel / resort? I wanted to go to Manado / Indonesia in August this year (because I could not find the airline ticket as the flights were all booked out, I decided to go to Hong Kong instead; I know it was quite a switch). I am very interested in the Maldives indeed.