So what would you reccommend in my situation? Not quite sure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digitalduck, Jun 8, 2010.

1. digitalduck macrumors regular

Ok,

So my 3gs is up for upgrade in 2010, meaning I will pre-order i4

Last week Memorial day we added a new line for my wife and made it a 3gs... this was before we knew definitively that the i4 was going to be available in June and we wanted to make the ETF cutoff fee by 6/31 and data plan change plus she wanted one so now it stands as:

A. my line will preorder
    B. wife’s old line, dormant but cheaper to leave open then pay a 125 etf since only has 9 months left. it (upgrade data of 3/2011)

C. Wife’s new 3gs line...

So once I get i4 and use it for a couple days, I figured if my wife wanted one then I told her we would have to take her new 3gs back (within 30 days) and pay the extra $50 to get i4… seems easy enough however:

- If we do that then she’ll have ot get one of the “new” data plans…but that should be fine for her…not me..
    - Maybe I can talk att into letting me get an early upgrade on her existing line (b) and then return the new line..that would be great..

ideas? Thanks!!

2. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

3. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

It's a little difficult to figure out your intent from this post. Could you maybe rephrase it in a different way?

Despite the title of the thread, it doesn't seem like you're asking for feedback -- instead just sort of stating what you will do :p. What info are you looking for?

4. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Good point, thanks...

I was wondering if I should take her phone back since its within the 30 days and get her the new i4 or just have her wait until she either has it a few months and then can sell it forthe i4 or keep it because she has the unlimited data now but wouldnt if she takes it back and gets he i4..

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

the unlimited data plan ($30) still has a cap of 5 GB, the new plan is now $25 for 2GB. How much data are you and your wife consuming?

I consider myself a heavy user (i don't tether to any other device) and I use up about 400-450mb a month.

6. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Me = alot

Wife = new to iphone and asks me for everything so she only uses the stuff I put on there I guess, so i guess it would just be facetime, but I could see her liking that....however, i would love to drop her down to the $15 plan..

I still think its a good idea to get it for her now, even thinking of it as an investment for later...you're going to have to sell it again sometime..

7. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

I would take a look at her data usage for that first month and get a sense of how much she has used. Unless she's doing some hardcore downloading, illegal tethering etc., I can't imagine her usage would be that high. If that is the case, then the unlimited (5gb) cap doesn't seem necessary.

But the main consideration should be what functionality does she want? You state that you think she'll use the "facetime" thing -- but to be honest, I can't imagine many people at all using that once the initial thrill has gone. Remember that "facetime" is wifi only, so that wouldn't affect the data plan at all -- but think about what other data-hogging functions she might use while on 3G. Will she be downloading movies or uploading clips to youtube while on the go? Does she travel a lot and find herself needing a connection where no wifi is available?

You say your usage is a lot, but how much exactly is a lot? I used my iphone a lot as well but rarely went over 300mb's in a month.

It's still a little tricky to figure out what you're asking, but it seems to me that the primary objective is to find out whether or not she wants the options that the new phone offers, or if she is satisfied with what she has. Unless her first month of usage shows higher than say 2gb's, I wouldn't use the "unlimited" option as the deciding factor.

Good luck!

8. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Return your wife's under the 30 Day agreement, get a refund, then pre-order a new one for you and a new one for your wife.

You confused a lot of us with the way you stated this, but you will not pay an ETF if you are under 30 days, however you might lose $36 activation fee.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not true, there is not data cap on the iPhone unlimited data plan. (There is for the tethering plans, but not the iPhone plan. This has been throughly debated and agreed upon.)

If you do an exchange of the 3Gs for the iPhone 4, you will pay a restocking fee. BUT, since it's an exchange, you do not sign a new contract and there is no reason to change your data plan. Your wife is now firmly grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. You have nothing to worry about.