So what would your ideal immigration policy look like?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Let's try to have a civil discussion. Let them all in or throw them all out are not valid solutions.

So I will go first:

1) Stop illegal immigration. This has to be first. Whether it is a wall, a fence, increased patrols or locking up repeat offenders, I don't care. Just something needs to be done. Anyone who comes in after a set date is not eligible for citizenship - ever.

2) Provide a process to allow those who are already here to remain here legally, but they have to register and pay taxes. This is not citizenship, but more like a green card. Those who obey the law and do what they are supposed to do can apply for citizenship, but behind those who are already doing it legally. Commit a felony, you're out of line and going home.

3) Deport criminal aliens. If they return, they get a free cell in a federal penitentiary.

4) Workable guest worker program. They don't even have to ever go back to their country, but we need to know who they are and where they are and who they are working for.

5) Stop the Sanctuary City nonsense. There will be no need for them anyway.

Next????

2. unlinked macrumors 6502a

What does that mean in practice? I think US legal immigration is limited to a couple of hundred thousand a year and I imagine it is already vastly oversubscribed.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

"Illegal Immigration" is simply too broad a term to easily, or neatly, address.

What is illegal immigration? A tourist who over-stays his legal visit time by a week or two? Someone who comes in on a tourist visa, but then does a little freelance work while they are here? Someone who legally crosses the Mexican border on a tourist visa, and then does a few months in seasonal agricultural work, and then returns to Mexico for the winter months? What about theperson with a US citizen child or parent, who comes to take care of them?

You can build the biggest, nastiest wall in the world, and you wouldn't begin to address any of the scenarios that I've outlined here.

4. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Spoiler alert. Your question about lawful immigration is reasonable and appropriate, therefore, no liberal will answer it.

5. Snoopy4, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

1. Lock it down and begin a transition period.
    2. End birthright citizenship, one parent must be a citizen.
    3. Each illegal must self identify within 120 days, identify the country of origin and seek a passport. They have 1 year to obtain one or its bye bye.
    4. Each illegal is issued a Visa that must be renewed as standard.
    5. Dreamers get an ID from the Fed and cannot become citizens until they reach the age of 26.
    6. During the transition, you have no rights other than those of a visitor.
    7. You can not vote for a period of 10 years after you become a full citizen as penalty.
    8. You cannot ever bring your family.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2017 ---
    LOL. The idea is to stop illegal immigration. If he's leaving for the winter, then see ya!
    As it should be.

6. Zenithal Suspended

7. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

But but but FEELINGS!

8. Zenithal Suspended

Snowflakes, the bunch of 'em.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

1. Amend the constitution to require at least one parent to be a legal permanent resident or a citizen for a child to get citizenship at birth (Exceptions could be made when a child would otherwise be stateless).
    2. Either greatly increase the number of seasonal workers allowed into the country for agriculture or completely remove caps for seasonal agricultural workers from Latin America (An EU style freedom of movement agreement for North America would be a good option)
    3. Grant a path to citizenship for people already in the country by a certain date who have committed no crimes other than entering the country illegally (Ideally this would be by the date that the policy is announced so we don't get a rush of people trying to get in at the last minute).
    4. Introduce a system to actually track if visa holders leave when they are supposed to (possibly put restrictions on visas for people from country's whose citizen's routinely overstay visas).

10. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Enforce existing immigration laws, and impose more severe penalties on employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Only change I'd make is to #3 and that is if they re-enter after they've been previously incarcerated for any violent crime we execute them.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You should move to North Korea. You'd probably like it there.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I just don't want to keep paying to incarcerate these people. Maybe if we start taking money off the top from the country of origin that we likely send aid to.

14. Rhonindk, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Agree. It is however going to be a bit of a challenge to revamp the produce end of things....
    Now that is a great thought!

15. niploteksi macrumors regular

Do you all think there is a difference between economic and political refugees?

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Why are so many current living US americans against immigration? It is so hypocritical given the history of the country.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No ones against legal immigration. People are talking about illegal immigration. In particular those who commit crimes and are given sanctuary in select cities by one political party in this country.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

given that we're a country based on immigrants since inception - I don't really care who comes in. If they can compete in the marketplace/social space of the US - then more power to them. I sometimes think Americans can be a little lazy unless provoked...As for criminal behavior - hell, we do pretty good home-grown. I've never really understood the modern immigration policy vs Ellis Island...The idea of America was for immigrants to shake off the shackles of their old countries and make a fresh start with hard work and ingenuity in a vast and potentially hopeful new one. The fact that the US has kinda screwed itself through Govt policy (or lack thereof), and hasn't kept pace with tech advancements is not any immigrants fault...I feel these days immigrants are just a convenient scapegoat to a larger and more complicated set of problems here in America...

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

20. smallcoffee, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

1. A points based system similar to other countries (as mentioned by Trump) hat rewards areas in which we have critical need. Just as I can't just immigrate to Switzerland or New Zealand, we should treat our citizenship as a national resource.
    2. Overhaul the H1-b Visa program to require companies to pay workers under this program the equivalent of $200,000, adjusted for cost of living. This will go a long way towards stopping the abuse of H1-b Visa holders, and will also ensure that those who are using the system are not abusing it. The only reason somebody should using this system is when there is a tiny minority of people in the US who can do a certain job. It should not be used, as it currently is, to depress the wages of otherwise middle class jobs.
    3. Stem the flow of immigrants from Mexico, regardless of their country of origin. This is a compound problem which requires some thought. A society cannot afford to consistently absorb the flow of new people without some sort of controlled, well-thought policy. While my heart goes out to those who wish to escape poverty, it is not fair to those who are attempting to enter the US legally, nor does it make sense in the long term. People living in those countries need to work to make them a better place. If all the good people pack up and leave, what will those countries have left? Somebody must build/rebuild these countries.
    4. Allow recently graduated undergraduate foreign nationals a 2 year work visa that allows them to work, unemcombered and without monetary sponsorship, for any company in the United States. Upon the passing of the two years, companies can opt to pay those people the H1-b visa salary, or those people can return home with the skills they have learned here, or apply for points-based entry to the United States. Similarly a 3 year program for master's students and a 5 year program for Ph.D students.
    5. Any immigrant who is found here illegally and who has not committed a serious crime, may stay, provided they begin paying taxes backdated to the age of 18 (with a payment plan if necessary) and provides they hold a job that makes $50,000/annually adjusted for cost of living. I don't want to see people abused for wages, and it importing cheap labor is not a goal of our immigration policy. These people have the opportunity to find a high-paying job within 1 year, otherwise they will be required to leave the country.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2017 ---
    Times change. We're not eternally bound to things we did in the past