So whatever happened to "4G" in the menubar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by louis0nfire, Nov 4, 2011.

1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

I live in New York and I've never seen 4G appear. What's the deal?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no "4G" icon because there is no 4G.

3. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

If there's no AT&T 4G coverage in NYC then where in America do they have it?

4. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

He meant on the phone. The iPhone doesn't support 4G yet.

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

There were talks that AT&T was trying work with Apple to put that in for customers who are in range and using their HSPA+ technology.

No one really knows what ever came out with it, or if they will ever implement it

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The iPhone 4S does not support LTE 4G, so it does't matter who has it where, the iPhone can't use it.

It does support a faster version of 3G that AT&T wants to call 4G. They asked Apple to show '4G' in the menu when the iPhone 4S connects to the faster version of 3G, but Apple didn't do it.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Some places like Austin, Chicago…

Anyways, not in NYC yet.

Besides that, the iPhone 4S does not support 4G LTE.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

According to AT&T, its classified as a "4G" device. There hasn't been any updates yet, so its still could be updated in the future.

Attached Files:

9. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

I think it's still being tale about between the two companies. I mean, why wouldn't apple do it? An H+ or 3G+ icon would be nice IMO. AT&T has really fast hspa+ speeds and I definitely get them on my 4S, usually 7-9mbps down and 1-2 up

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Saw a commercial for AT&T today for the Impluse 4G. At the end of it, in the fine print portion, it stated that 4G was supported by their HSPA+ network.

It's probably more enticing to the public to say "4G" for a new product since the average person would be more likely to get it. Really misleading to market a product that isn't really a 4G. Yes, it is faster than 3G, but not as fast 4G. They should come up with some sort of indicator if they continue marketing this speed since it's not 3G or 4G

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Technically I believe HSPA+ is classified as 4G so they can and are using that term.
    It would be nice to have an H+ or 3G+ like some other devices do at the moment.

12. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

I'm sure they are working with apple. if they are going to implement it expect it within a few updates. my guess would be before or on 5.1.

13. Will69 macrumors regular

An engineer at work told me that because "+" uses two channels to get its extra speed, that 80% of towers have the feature disabled, to avoid exhausting their capacity.

Most people think that AT&T has faster speeds; and I assume if you're right next to a tower, it's true. But take a step left or right and you find yourself in a gap, then all the data alphabet soup is meaningless.

I can only say this about my particular area. But the fact that consumer research has found that after evaluating 23 cities, AT&T comes out worst by far is no surprise at all.

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Hopefully. It would be nice to have some indicator that you've latched on a the faster HSPA+ network. For my purposes, it matters a lot since I tether and the faster the better and knowing where a fast connection is (maps don't account for every single thing), will help me rid of my hotspot device. The device (by Clearwire) isn't that fast anyway. So, that would be a nice way to save some money.

15. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

My AT&T rep said it's happening. Whether or not to believe is up to you. :cool:

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

He's right but the question is when. This year, next year, or maybe the year after that. I suppose he also told you that Apple was going to release an iPhone 5 around a year from now.

17. xraytech macrumors 68020

The 4s does not support 4G

18. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

It supports HSPA+ which is technically 4G according to the ITU