So whatever happened with the whole Verizon iPad 3 able to use AT&T SIM?

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Was anything great ever achieved? I remember there was a fear that AT&T would block your data for the rest of the month because of the different device usage or IMEI number or something.

dittman

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Was anything great ever achieved? I remember there was a fear that AT&T would block your data for the rest of the month because of the different device usage or IMEI number or something.
I've been using an AT&T SIM in my Verizon iPad 3 for five months without any issues.

Comment

dittman

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Do you just take it out your phone?
No, it's an AT&T SIM on an AT&T iPad data plan. I activated it using my wife's iPad 2 IMEI using the online website.

I was worried that doing that would deactivate her data plan but it didn't.

Comment

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
No, it's an AT&T SIM on an AT&T iPad data plan. I activated it using my wife's iPad 2 IMEI using the online website.

Oh no.. No I'm talking about taking an AT&T iPhone SIM and putting them on the Verizon iPad 3.

Comment

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
I was researching this heavily before I bought my iPad... the consensus was it works up to HSPA speeds. Someone on straighttalk (att mvno) had used it for a month or two before being kicked off their network for excessive data use.

I can try it out tomorrow and report back

Comment

TB07-NJ

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL

Oh no.. No I'm talking about taking an AT&T iPhone SIM and putting them on the Verizon iPad 3.
That's what he said. He's using an AT&T SIM with an AT&T IPAD PLAN in a VERIZON IPAD. It works fine. You just can't set it up on the VZW iPad itself. You need an IPAD IMEI to register the SIM (he used his wife's IMEI) then setup the account online at AT&T and it works fine. You won't get the "dedicated" account management function on the VZW iPad to work.

Comment

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I put a blank AT&T SIM into my VeriPad (lol) and it showed "AT&T 4G" in the carrier info section, but I was not able to edit the plan through the device (which kinda sucks). You have to register the SIM online for an AT&T plan, but you also need a AT&T IEMI to register, which kind of puts a caveat.

Comment