So whatever happened with the whole Verizon iPad 3 able to use AT&T SIM?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnny Steps, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Was anything great ever achieved? I remember there was a fear that AT&T would block your data for the rest of the month because of the different device usage or IMEI number or something.

2. dittman macrumors member

I've been using an AT&T SIM in my Verizon iPad 3 for five months without any issues.

3. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Do you just take it out your phone?

4. dittman macrumors member

No, it's an AT&T SIM on an AT&T iPad data plan. I activated it using my wife's iPad 2 IMEI using the online website.

I was worried that doing that would deactivate her data plan but it didn't.

5. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Oh no.. No I'm talking about taking an AT&T iPhone SIM and putting them on the Verizon iPad 3.

6. jaysen macrumors 6502

I was researching this heavily before I bought my iPad... the consensus was it works up to HSPA speeds. Someone on straighttalk (att mvno) had used it for a month or two before being kicked off their network for excessive data use.

I can try it out tomorrow and report back

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

That's what he said. He's using an AT&T SIM with an AT&T IPAD PLAN in a VERIZON IPAD. It works fine. You just can't set it up on the VZW iPad itself. You need an IPAD IMEI to register the SIM (he used his wife's IMEI) then setup the account online at AT&T and it works fine. You won't get the "dedicated" account management function on the VZW iPad to work.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I put a blank AT&T SIM into my VeriPad (lol) and it showed "AT&T 4G" in the carrier info section, but I was not able to edit the plan through the device (which kinda sucks). You have to register the SIM online for an AT&T plan, but you also need a AT&T IEMI to register, which kind of puts a caveat.