So Whats Coming at the Paris Expo

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
159
0
I was wondering if anyone heard anything. Mabye the iPhone or some new iApp. Do you think an apple digital camera that would be cool. Final Cut Pro 4 Mabye. IBMs new prossecer. has anybody heard anything.
 

saint

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
161
1
Sydney
I would like to see an Apple digital camera with FireWire and an internal 5GB hard drive. Not sure if it will happen though, especially with the way the economy is at the moment.
I think the iPhone is very unlikely. Apple has a partnership with Sony Ericsson, and they let them advertise the upcoming P800 at MWNY. I think there is more to come from this partnership, but not an Apple branded phone.

But Steve has 1 or 2 hours to fill with his keynote, he has to talk about or introduce something. He can't waste the whole time with more previews of Jaguar, because everyone will already have it by then. Maybe he will just try to convince more people to subscribe to .Mac (I still hate that name).
 

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
1,164
0
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by saint
I would like to see an Apple digital camera with FireWire and an internal 5GB hard drive.
A 5GB Hard Drive is WAY overkill for a still digital camera and too small for a video camera. Digital stills from a 2.1MP camera take up 1MB or less. Being able to store 5000 photos is unnecessary. An internal drive such as a Microdrive only helps when you are shooting at over 5MP in uncompressed TIFF mode, or when you will be away from a computer for a long period of time. Apple is not touting life without a computer with their Digital Hub concept. Firewire, while nice on professional cameras that take 10-15MB photos, is not necessary on a consumer camera.

I would like an Apple camera, though. We must remember, however, that Apple did make a camera... and a PDA.

Never made a cell phone, though.:D
 

snoopy

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2002
61
0
Portland, OR
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny


A 5GB Hard Drive is WAY overkill for a still digital camera and too small for a video camera. Digital stills from a 2.1MP camera take up 1MB or less. Being able to store 5000 photos is unnecessary. ...

I disagree. 5000 photos would be really nice. It could take care of your whole vacation. You may take many more photos too, without running out of space. Delete 90 percent of them when you get back home.
 

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
1,009
0
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny


Firewire, while nice on professional cameras that take 10-15MB photos, is not necessary on a consumer camera.
Yeah, Firewire is also overkill on an MP3 player, because nobody would ever need more that 100 songs in their pocket....

Now, if you chaps will excuse me, I have to change songs on my iPod...
 

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Re: NEW POWERBOOK

Originally posted by hippy
There 'WILL' be a new powerbook soon, just look at the apple site, every product except for the powerBook and iBook have been updated to ship with osX10.2 but apparently the PB and iB still ship with 10.1

weird ?????
Oh contrare my friend. I've had a friend have their new pb shipped with 10.2...besides, after 8/24, all powerbooks will have 10.2 included no matter what...i'd be stupid if they didn't

Sept is a tad too soon for an update to either laptops;)...then again, january is a tad too late...hrm:D
 

hippy

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2002
17
0
powerbook

hmmm I still think they have something up their sleeve, I really need to replace my pismo, and it just doesnt make sense not to update those sections of the apple website.
 

multifinder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
37
0
I'll second that--there's a big gap in Apple's line between the iBook and TiBook that a widescreen iBook would fill perfectly.

I really hope Apple updates the iBook soon--I'm looking to replace my 400MHz iMac, but I want the iBook up to at least 800MHz before I can justify spending the money. Macosrumors.com said iBooks with 933MHz and widescreens were coming "January to March" but that seems WAY too long between updates--May '02 to March '03 is just ridiculous. I think if Apple's smart they'll give the iBook at least a speed bump, if not a bigger or higher-res screen, between now and November...
 

ericb88

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
60
0
Mid range labtop, with 667mhz G4 (powerbook will have been updated) or 1ghz sahara, 32mb video and 13.1inch widescreen for about 1899. Ill take 2.
 

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
637
0
NYC
I'd be satisfied with a 800Mhz G3, 32MB VRAM, and 256MB RAM standard in the iBook for a temporary update at the Apple Expo.
 

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
2,853
0
behind you
Steve talks for an hour and a half about the Apple Stores...their gonna innovate out of this economic slump.....YAY! the 1.25 FINALLY is shipping(maybe).

Everyone is happy....Oh....let add some new services to .Mac since nobody wants it....


And one more thing....$100 added to all systems...:rolleyes:

seriously though......it'll be a Software fest...I doubt any hardware
 

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
159
0
Originally posted by JSRockit
I'd be satisfied with a 800Mhz G3, 32MB VRAM, and 256MB RAM standard in the iBook for a temporary update at the Apple Expo.
The iBook really need more VRAM 32 should be good like a Radeon Moblity or Nvida cards would be really cool
 

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
692
0
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by Nipsy


Yeah, Firewire is also overkill on an MP3 player, because nobody would ever need more that 100 songs in their pocket....

Now, if you chaps will excuse me, I have to change songs on my iPod...

What????:confused: Speak for yourself buddy!!! My five Gig iPod is at capacity;) And I take long trips, so I listen to every song!!!:p
 

snoopy

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2002
61
0
Portland, OR
Will Steve Jobs introduce the G5 in Paris? I've been thinking he would introduce it on October 15, after IBM presents the chip at the Microprocessor Forum, but it could happen in Paris. Certainly we should hear soon. After the October 15 forum, the cat is out of the bag. Everyone will realize that this is the new G5 for Apple. Steve has to say something, or PowerMac sale will grind to a halt, as folks begin to wait for a G5 PowerMac to appear. What would he say? It may be an early look at a workstation grade G5 Mac, meant to run things like Shake and Maya. Customers will then know that G4 PowerMacs are hear to stay much longer. The only ones who wait for the G5 will be those willing to pay a lot more for its outrageous performance.
 

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
637
0
NYC
Believe me...I'd like more than 32MB VRAM, but it isn't going to happen. The TiBook only has 32...and that would have to upped to 64MB VRAM before the iBook would get 32.

My specs for the medium range book idea.

13.1 WideScreen
Ext Optical Drive (SuperDrive)
.90" Thin
1Ghz G4
iBook style case
 

andyinindy

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2002
5
0
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by tjwett


laptop. the word is laptop. ;)
I'm glad that someone set him straight. But wait a moment... what if he works in some kind of Lab... and he needs a computer that could sit atop the others.... a lab top? Heh. Sorry.

I am praying for hardware in Paris. Actually, it seems like a distinct possibility considering the lack of HW at MYNY. I see Powerbooks being updated. I'd LOVE to see the new IBM/Nvidia/Motorola/Intel G5.... or the iPhone, a PDA, or a digicam. Maybe some sort of robot delivery drone... "get me a beer!"... Or perhaps a bluetooth enabled, voice activated iToaster... "lightly toast bagel, check email".

Ugh. I hate speculation. No use in it, really. I have no money to buy any of these cool gadgets, so what's the point?
:(
 

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
375
0
Originally posted by xrhajj
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Nipsy


Yeah, Firewire is also overkill on an MP3 player, because nobody would ever need more that 100 songs in their pocket....

Now, if you chaps will excuse me, I have to change songs on my iPod...
------------------------------------------------------------------------


What???? Speak for yourself buddy!!! My five Gig iPod is at capacity And I take long trips, so I listen to every song!!!
its called sarcasm :rolleyes:
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
Jobs could just announce a video/still camera addition that would plug into the firewire port of the ipod, giving us the full deal as far as capacity and stuff goes. That would be pretty cool.
 

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
1,709
0
Originally posted by snoopy


I disagree. 5000 photos would be really nice. It could take care of your whole vacation. You may take many more photos too, without running out of space. Delete 90 percent of them when you get back home.
do you even own a digital camera? Managing photos is NOT like managing mp3s. Even if you had firewire to download all these photos fast into your Mac, you still have to open them up and do some minimal level of processing on them. It would take days, weeks to go through that many images (5000 images = 156 rolls of film). It's just not practical on a daily basis.

I own a 4 mp camera with a 256mb flash card and I've yet to shoot the full capacity (about 120 picts at highest rez jpeg) on any one outing.

Now, if you're throwing VIDEO into the mix, it's a different story.
 

jaguar451

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2002
38
0
Originally posted by dongmin


do you even own a digital camera? Managing photos is NOT like managing mp3s. Even if you had firewire to download all these photos fast into your Mac, you still have to open them up and do some minimal level of processing on them. It would take days, weeks to go through that many images (5000 images = 156 rolls of film). It's just not practical on a daily basis.

I own a 4 mp camera with a 256mb flash card and I've yet to shoot the full capacity (about 120 picts at highest rez jpeg) on any one outing.

Now, if you're throwing VIDEO into the mix, it's a different story.
I could imagine a longish vacation where one doesn't have a laptop where this would be usable.... And hey, downloading that 256MB would go a lot faster, too.... And many (most now?) cameras do do video clips.....