So what's so special about iPhone 5??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dorfdad, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

I have bought every stinking iPhone on Day one from the fist to the 4S but for some reason I am not a all hyped about the new iPhone 5 and will probably wait this time, as I haven't really seems or heard anything that screams gotta have so far.

Now that can change when we see the reveal, but so far Im getting the vibe that it's a slightly bigger screen and taller case in the same current design (look), probably a speed boost and a slight camera upgrade over the 4S.

All things considered a decent upgrade over a 3 or 4 user but nothing worth paying the premium to get out of your current contact on the 4S with unless I am wrong?

Does anyone have any (I know where in rumor town) but does anyone have something to get me excited about the 5???

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

That makes you in the vast minority on this board.

3. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

LTE? Hopefully Apple has something else up their sleeve, because I agree there isn't much to pull people from a 4S right now aside from the LTE.

4. plymman macrumors member

You're not alone. There's been quite a big thread on the hype of the iPhone 5 over the last few days.

Personally, I'm with you. I love Apple, have an iPad, MacBook and iMac. I've also had a 2g, 3GS and iPhone 4. If the leaks are proved right then I certainly won't be buying another iPhone. I'm sure the speed bumps etc.. Will make a difference but at it's heart the OS is still the same one from 2007. Maybe I just need a change, maybe I've just got a bit bored or maybe I just want something bigger but I doubt I'll be laying my hands on an iPhone 5 anytime soon.

5. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Honestly I hear the argument here, but the reason imo that people stay with apple and the iPhone is because they want a quality phone that won't be replaced by something "bigger and better" in a couple months.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

7. snow blind macrumors regular

Same. As a first gen iPhone day one owner... I'll keep my 4 until Apple does something worthwhile again. Progress has been "meh" since the 3GS - 4.

8. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

- LTE
    - 4" screen
    - Redesigned thin unibody design

These things make this the biggest iPhone update ever, even more than the iPhone 4 update.

9. Tom2893 macrumors 6502

Tom2893

maybe the hype would be better if steve was still alive

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Tim and Scott are going to tell us it's the best iPhone yet. So I believe them. ;)

11. snow blind macrumors regular

I disagree. If I had to bet i'd put money on popular culture and Apple's "image". Apple can do no wrong... they're mentioned almost every day on the news, on online publications and market updates. Apple doesn't need to innovate... they can continue to cost and profit. I'm not saying they will... but it looks like with the 5 they might.

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Not bigger than the 4. With the 4, we got an entire new design with the antenna, a front facing camera with FaceTime, and the Retina display. None of the 5's features revealed so far are as exciting as any of those, IMO.

13. snow blind macrumors regular

From a design/component and materials spec standpoint i disagree. Look at the component list, arrangement and construction of the 3-4th gen. This one is just elongated with minor 4th gen based stylistic changes.

14. THEAnonymous macrumors member

Doesn't sound particularly "special" (as OP was asking), especially considering people have already had the first two options available to them in other phones for quite a while...and the third item, based on the pics, isn't too jawdropping either.

15. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

you'll want one once the Cook sells it to you on Wednesday

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Not according to this cat:

Is there a way to make ^ my sig?

17. Purant macrumors 6502

I agree. If what we've seen so far from leaks and betas of IOS6, is all that iPhone 5 has to offer I don't really see myself upgrading, and I'm still on an iPhone 4.

And why are people so excited about LTE? What are they doing now that requires that much faster speeds? Don't get me wrong, it's cool and all and obviously the way forward, but I just can't get myself excited about it.

18. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

iphone is pretty mature at this point. not sure what people are expecting.

19. xploit macrumors regular

agreed!

I agree! I have had every iphone and due to some accidents have also had a samsung focus, a nokia N9 and most recently the htc one x. The widows phone was fresh but got incredibly boring soon after. The nokia N9 was great and if I had not destroyed its elegant screen I would still have it. This brings me to the HTC One X that I got last Saturday as a replacement for the nokia knowing I could return it after the iphone announcement.

The One X is very very nice. It might be a little too big but what it has is very very impressive. The notifications are nice.. the LTE though is a must! I am waiting for something wow from apple and I have a hard time believing that they would attempt something this lacking after so much time and advancement from the other systems out there.

I am holding out for a hero! Seriously it could very well be that they have an entirely new model that has been kept under tight security. It has been said that Jobs was working on this new iPhone up until his death and what has been leaked so far seems to be very lackluster. I guess time will tell.

In the end if it is in fact exactly what we have been shown I might stay with the One X but really I secretly believe that there has to be more.

X-

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Going from the 3g/s to the 4 was a big difference. Going from the 4/4s to the 5 means they used different material on the back, gave it an erection, and threw an LTE chip in there. The hardware changes along with the software changes in iOS 6 will probably leave many feeling "meh". Nothing earth shattering to be expected.

21. plymman macrumors member

Exactly. 3GS to 4 was a major overhaul, this is just another step forward. Because the 4 to 4s was an incremental step (don't get me wrong, 1080p recording and big performance gains was still a very good update) I was expecting some bigger changes from this release, especially considering how stable Android has become and how much progress other smartphone displays have made compared to the ground breaking launch of iPhone 4's retina screens.

22. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

With the 4, FaceTime and the Retina display weren't known about until it's announcement. On the 4S, we saw the microphone icon on the keyboard, but didn't know how integrated it would be (or anything about Siri) until it's announcement.

There are a few reasons to already be excited, but, if Apple follows history, there will be a few tricks they're still hiding from us that will change everything.

Both getting ones hopes up already or saying that they're not interested is extremely premature...especially when the big reveal is only a week away.

----------

...and without anything announced or confirmed yet, you know this how?

23. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Good Joke.

Agreed, the uni-body design doesn't do much for me because it makes the back of the phone look ugly IMO.

I was never too fond of the back of my original iPhone either.

+1