so whats the next rumor?? when are we SUPPOSED to get what we were promised

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Sep 16, 2008.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I just scanned through the threads and didnt see any new rumors! I love these rumors, and was wondering whats next?? I know we are supposed to get getting push at SOME point, and HOPEFULLY a few other nice features, but when?

Do you think they will release it later than thought (after sept.) for the possible x-mas rush? I have no clue. i usually rely on you guys for the rumors.

I just wanna know when i can hope for push to arrive..

2. Linuss macrumors regular

I don't ever remember being promised anything other then a phone that has an iPod function in it.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Damn good answer. We won't get push until they fix it. Obviously, it wasn't working correctly; why else would they remove a highly promoted feature?

4. camarobh macrumors 6502

We have push now, I think you are referring to background notification.

5. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

did he not say PUSH available in September? i do remember an actual MONTH.. i know that it was pushed back and i know there is still some time left in sept. but we all expected it with the release of 2.1

Also, push is only available on other servers that have push, not third party apps.. so push only works with gmail and yahoo and mobile me, correct?? that is hardly the push that was explained in the keynote back in June.

I know we dont get it until its finished.. DUH.. i wasnt asking "why dont we have it now?" i was asking where are the rumors? wheres the insider info as to when it is actually going to be released??

6. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Yeah Jobs promised Push with 2.1 in September.....and he hasnt even said why he pulled it, id at least like to know why we dont have it and when we will, cuz there is 13 days left in september

7. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Actually that's true

I m very happy with Apple for making 2.1 very stable. It is perhaps the best iphone firmware that Apple has done.

I hope now they can build on that and make the iphone an even better user experience.

I would like to see:

push (app) notification
    turn by turn capability (in maps or in a third party app)
    a native chat client from apple (iphone ichat)- but something pretty sensational, not just more of the same.
    Back to my Mac capabilities on the phone (native)
    iTunes streaming on the phone (native)
    iDisk access on the phone (native)

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because we've not heard anything new.

Release what later than thought? Apple hasn't said anything. They haven't promised anything.

9. Archie- macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Sounds like a promise to me. I think Apple promised much more than a phone with an iPod for a long time now.

10. wizard macrumors 68040

I'd like to know myself!

While the nano announcement was pretty much with in my expectations, that is a basic MP3 player, I failed to see anything earth shaking. Certainly nothing to tie with the hype that Apple themselves have been promoting. In fact in man ways the second generation Touch looks like a step backwards due to the dropping of a flash site. The other problem is the capacity gap for IPods.

All in all the only thing I can think is that they are saving something impressive for the Holiday shoppers. At least for the iPod lineup. Frankly the design trade offs that Apple made on Touch leads be to believe they are a bit out of touch.

The only other thing that I can see that might be related to the hype Apple has been promoting is that they where talking about Macs at the time and the real innovation is on those devices. That would also mean those devices are late, probably due to Intel. Of course we can dream about Apple being late with a super secret chip set but I don't think that is the case.

In any case I think one has the right to feel taken in this case.

Dave

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. We all know what a mess 2.0 was. I'd rather Apple delay a feature and get it working right than throw out another buggy release so that everyone can complain about it for months, threaten to go to other phones without ever really meaning to get another phone, lawsuit threats, petitions, pointless "fix my iphone blogs," etc. Yeah, sounds exactly like what I want.

This thread is the perfect example of how there are people who will complain no matter what.

If you're really that concerned, I hear that Apple is hiring iPhone developers. Maybe you can apply. I'm sure with your awesome knowledge of iPhone development, you can whip the whole team into shape, since this seems to be such a piece of cake for you, and you clearly have this awesome knowledge and are so in touch with what everyone wants. Maybe you can even give us cut & paste, right?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

if people are going to keep using "september" as the promise (yes it was the promise) then said people have to understand that it is the friggin 17th right now!

Wait until its october before you question why its not out yet.

13. pj rage macrumors 6502

I don't think he said 2.1, just said September. I wonder if that's been pushed back or not?

14. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Wow.

So after paying $400 for a premium device that is supposed to beat all other phones, it is too much to ask for Steve Jobs and/or Apple to at least not make promises or claims that his development team can't cash? Or when they do, to at least let us know why?

I am helping to pay the man's salary.

Personally, I think he OWES me an explanation. Dang skippy he does.

But if we expect that, then we are just complaining to complain?

Whatever.

And while we might not have been "promised" anything more than a phone with an iPod in it (What a joke that is), Apple and Steve Jobs damn sure have been pitching this thing as something that can compete with the Blackberry and all other PDA phones. Well, I have owned the other two and I didn't have to turn off every feature on them just to have the batter last longer than one day.

But, I still love what this phone COULD be, which is why I hang on to it, and will continue to hang on to it.

15. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Looks like a statement. Not a promise. Nothing binding them to that date.

Personally, if it had a better camera, video recording capabilities maybe, flash maybe, and some more exciting apps coming to the app store, I'd be grinning from ear to ear. As it is, I still own the best all round smartphone on the market, so I'm not too worried :)

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Steve Jobs is paid one dollar per year. You're not helping enough for him to care. :p

17. pj rage macrumors 6502

I agree that it would be nice to be "kept in the loop" by apple, but the anger of your post seems like it might fit better at 12am October 1st. It may be unlikely that we'll see another firmware update by then, but it's still two weeks away, so I suppose it's possible. No sense getting too mad until they actually break their "promise."

But, from my point of view, I'm just happy to have a stable running iphone for the first time (did not have a first gen iphone). I doubt apple anticipated such ridiculous problems with the phone when they made their September claim. Hell, if the OS that shipped on the iphone in July was 2.1, and mobile me didn't have such trouble, we may have seen push notifications in August. Now, it might end up being October, or later, but we should at least wait until we're out of September before bashing them about not getting it out in September.

18. cere macrumors 6502

I don't know if push notifications was pulled because it wasn't working or because they needed to refocus their resources on getting 2.1 properly polished and out the door. There were a number of issues that they had to get resolved, which probably were not fully anticipated. I for one prefer that they worked on getting fixes (major) out before they release push. Push might have been working perfectly in their testing and it would still be prudent to hold off on releasing it if they had to redirect their developers and support to the 2.1 efforts.

This is similar to when Leopard was delayed (was it leopard?) so that they could move developers to the original iPhone project to make sure it got out properly and on time. So Push is delayed. Not a huge loss. Better that it get delayed and 2.1 got out early, than 2.1 being released early and potentially new issues come up with the Push release.

19. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Didn't say which September though ;)

20. alFR macrumors 68020

You appear to be confusing push email, contacts and calendar (already available, although as you note it only works with Microsoft Exchange, MobileMe and some 3rd-party email services) with the push notification service for background apps referred to by Archie, which was indeed originally slated for a September release.

21. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Come on, you guys should all know by now that you can never expect Steve Jobs to come through on his claims. It's been happening repeatedly for a while now, from 3ghz G5s in a year to Leopard being repeatedly delayed. They either have some serious management issues over on these teams that need to get worked out or Steve just makes things up while he's on stage. I mean - even now I'm waiting for the 16gb ipods that were supposed to show up in the store over the weekend or early this week and have yet to appear anywhere.

22. AMcBroom81 macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

He is paid $1 per year Plus his bounus of 10 Million dollars :D

J/K

Then again he might.

23. Cander macrumors 6502

In September = Promised to be in 2.1?

Is my logic bad and I am just missing the connection?

Some other things I must have missed the memo on:

When did an announced date start to mean 12:01 that day?
    When did an announced month start to mean the 1st day of the month?

Signed,
    Confused with internet logic.

24. Archie- macrumors regular

So thats why Steve does not talk in full sentences!

25. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I can't agree with that as my anger stems from a lot more than just push notifications that I think were promised to me this month. I really don't care about the push notifications all that much to be honest.

My anger stems more from the attitude of some people on this and other forums and them trying to tell iPhone users that we should basically just "suck it up" or get a new phone.

It is not just about this one issue of push notifications.

You know what?

When I pay $50 for a phone, $100 for a phone or even $200 for a phone (The Curve I had on July 10th for instance), fine, maybe I suck it up.

But when I upgrade early and pay $400 for a phone because of how it is advertised, and then it doesn't come close, then I shouldn't have to just "suck it up" and Apple should not make me "just suck it up."

But if they are going to make me just suck it up, they could at least tell me why.

I don't see where I am being unreasonable at all to be quite frank.

But like I said, I love the concept of this phone and I love what I think this phone could be capable of, so I will continue to take the ride.