So what's the verdict, Black or White iPhone when it comes to less dings/color fades?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dizzy714, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Dizzy714 macrumors member

Firstly, is it confirmed that the black phones bezel or back do indeed discolor if it's rubbed too much and whatnot? Obviously if this is the case that's going to be a dealbreaker for me right off the bat and I won't even consider replacing my black for another black.

But anyways my black came with a ding and a scuff near the antenna so I'm replacing it. Went up to the Apple store today and obviously they were sold out, just wanted to get it on record so they don't try pulling something funny on me next time I go in there when they do have stock. So I have the option to go back in and get a dingless black, or just go with the white. I know dings/deep scratches that the phones are shipping with is all to do with production fault, but when we get into real world use, is the white iPhone going to really be the less noticeable/susceptible to little scratches an 'paint' knicks on the bezel? Seems like the anodized black will get that silver bezel to show through super easy over time of normal use. I got a few days to make my decision, hopefully some of you can help! Thanks!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Dings and nicks are a lot less noticeable on white than on black. It's the same reason that white cars look cleaner than black cars with the same amount of dust. That said, i saw black iPhone demo units that had seen a lot of use over the past 24 hours or so and they looked like they could be cleaned and sold as new.

3. Dizzy714 thread starter macrumors member

So there is some hope that the black can stand up. That's a good idea actually, checking out all the floor models on display and comparing.

4. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

The only thing I noticed on my black phone yesterday was the SIM port had a slight bit of unfinished aluminum showing. And by slight, I mean the size of a speck of dust. Other than that, no other defects.

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

In the past you only could get a replacement for the color you purchased. You might have to return it then re purchase a white.

6. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I ordered the black one from best buy. When I get it I can go to the Apple store if it has dings?

7. intervenient macrumors 6502a

While the white one is less susceptible to dings from the sounds of it, the white does really show off the grime and dust around the edges. Probably going to take it back for that reason. Bumps and bruises are character, dirt is dirt.

8. glitternarwhal macrumors member

glitternarwhal

If you're that worried about it, but don't want to put a case on it, you could try full body protectors. That's as close to a naked iPhone that you can get.

9. iHawaii macrumors member

Respectfully disagree - my 4s rarely looked grimy or dusty, and it was never in a case. I will also add that I didn't obsessively clean it either. Short of micro-inspecting it daily, I do have 20-10 uncorrected vision, so I am certain I would have noticed. Bumps and bruises are forever with regard to iPhone... grime and dust are not. My opinion, of course.

10. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I went with the white because I knew that as soon as I started seeing scratches and wear spots on the anodized aluminum it would bug me to no end. It turns out I really like the white and silver look.

11. Dizzy714 thread starter macrumors member

Have you had the white 4/4S in the past? Noticeably different when it comes to dirt? I guess I'm screwed either way when it comes to dirt showing up on a white phone. I had the white 4 with screen protectors on it and it did grunge up with dirt on the edges, way ugly. I can't see it being a problem if you would run without protectors. But in my case I'll be running protectors on the thing.

Yes and no. If you want to replace it for the same color under the warranties replacement, yes you can take it to Apple. If you want to take it to Apple for a return or full new packaging replacement, no, has to of been purchased from Apple's online store or the store itself to be able to return it for a new packaged phone within the first 30 days.

While the white one is less susceptible to dings from the sounds of it, the white does really show off the grime and dust around the edges. Probably going to take it back for that reason. Bumps and bruises are character, dirt is dirt.

12. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Too soon to tell. I don't have a white 4, but my girlfriend does, but I can't remember when I started thinking "That looks pretty gross". She doesn't use protectors, but it did manage to get in that little crease where the phone meets the screen. I'm going to give it until my 30 days, because I really like the white color, but I just can't do dirt.

13. Dizzy714 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah me neither, I'm with you on that. I'm still unsure about what color I'm going to go with. Black hides the proximity sensor, black hides the black borders an non-updated apps, black is one solid black tone when the phone is turned off. So there's many reasons it seems like to go with black, but I like how the white shines more.

14. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I really like the classy black, but I chose white. The only reason I would go for the black is because of the screen, it's hidden when locked or turned off.

I am thinking of changing the colour, sending back to Apple but my white iphone is in perfect flawless condition and I would only worry about the black being "Scuffed, dented and scratched" right out of the box.

15. imazu macrumors regular

i choose the black/slate from the start. and I have the that color right now. it's my color preference and fortunate not to have any physical damage when I opened it.:)

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

My black one is perfect and now nicely encased in Ghost Armor and a Griffin Reveal case (pink edges). I'm completely happy with my choice.