So what's this green and purple vertical stripes and not rebooting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MiRoNYC, Sep 1, 2009.

1. MiRoNYC macrumors newbie

So, while surfing the internet (I was reading an article on CNN and scrolling down to continue reading), the screen color changed to tinges of green and purple. The entire thing froze...no keys, no mouse, not even force quit...nothing. I had no choice but to do a hard shut down by holding down the power button until the laptop just shut off (Macbook Pro). In the middle of rebooting, (at the grey screen with the apple logo on it, I got the familiar circular dial that ticks around as it loads) a screen wipe similar to the effect of some screen savers went from the top of the screen to the bottom turning the screen from grey into green and purple vertical stripes. It also said "you need to restart your computer" and proceeded to tell me how to do so in four different languages. Upon doing so, the same thing happened...several times. I tried booting it into safe mode by holding down the shift key until the grey apple background appeared and it seemed to be working as the loading was taking forever. Alas, the same thing happened. I took the battery out and held down the power button for 10 seconds, put the battery back in only to suffer the same effect. The next genius bar reservation isn't until Friday. Any ideas or advice? :mad:

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

What model MBP do you have? I think your problem has to do with your video card. If it has the 8600GT, you should be able to get it replaced if you got it less than 3 years ago. If it's not your video card, it just might be your HD.

3. MiRoNYC thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro
    Model #A1226
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2GB/256MB VRAM/160GB 5400rpm

Not sure what video card it has since I can't look in the computer. Did model #A1226 come with 8600GT standard?

4. thehacker123 macrumors newbie

That MacBook Pro does have a GT 8600, sounds like it went bad to me...

5. MiRoNYC thread starter macrumors newbie

I really hope it was the video card and not the HDD. Just before the laptop froze, the screen had this pixelated green look to it and the page I was looking at was barely visible behind it. It SOUNDS like a video card issue and if the video card failed, it would prohibit the OS from even booting, no?

I'm talking HDD clone RIGHT NOW, just in case...anyone know how much the apple store would charge for that?

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

It could prevent the OS from booting and cause a kernel panic as the OS attempts to communicate with the GPU and errors out when it happens.

7. thehacker123 macrumors newbie

8. MiRoNYC thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI, it was indeed the video card. HDD is fine. Apple is replacing for free. Three - four business days. Thanks to those who responded.

9. kealiiballao macrumors newbie

Purple and Green Stripe Problem

So... last August my macbook pro had the same exact problem as listed above. I took it to the repair people here on my Island ( the nearest Apple store is 100 miles away) they keep insisting the problem was caused by my kingston ram that I installed about 1 year prior. Well.. before the purple and green screen, the video would black out while I could still hear the audio, there were no visuals. Sounds like its a similar problem. the Repair people said it was the ram.. but the problem continued... I'll find out in a week.