So when can I get a contract free ATT phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotlex, Sep 10, 2014.

1. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Confused over reading all this information. I'm with ATT. Moved to the family shared 10GB\unlimited talk\text plan last year. Bill dropped dramatically. Want\need a new phone. Want to pay full price on ATT. All I see is the T-Mobile option on the Apple site for pre-orders on the 12th. (Have ZERO interest in NEXT).

Keep reading about buying the T-mobile version, changing SIM etc. Not in that much of a hurry. Any estimates on when a full price ATT iPhone 6 would be available? And for that matter, why the heck are ATT and Verizon not listed right now as T-mobile is?

2. Cabby macrumors regular

Isn't this the AT&T Next program? That's how you get your new phone with a full price installment pay plan added to your bill. I'm in the same situation, I own all my phones, went to the family plan, and will simply select AT&T Next, the amount of months to pay it off, and you're done.

3. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

But that's not what I'm looking to do. (NEXT that is). I want to simply pay the full price up front, probably $750 in my case, and be done. I like my $140 per month for 3 iPhones bill. :D

4. Cabby macrumors regular

Can't you still do that, or do you HAVE to choose the NEXT program? Have you tried using the Apple Store app or AT&T website to "practice" upgrading?

5. 617aircav Suspended

You can get it on day one sold under tmobile contract free on Apple's website

6. inthecup macrumors regular

Exactly what I plan to do ... And you still have the option to pay off the phone after 30 days if you like .... Lots of misinformation out there about AT&T Next but once you understand it completely ... It's the best option with AT&T

7. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You can't buy the AT&T version full price on the website if you're eligible for an upgrade. The system will force you to use the upgrade or NEXT. You can buy the T-Moblile version at full price and just put your AT&T SIM in it - it will be unlocked. Otherwise, you would have to go into a retail store to pay full price.

Alternatively, you could just go ahead and buy it through NEXT. It's 0% interest and no extra fees. And you don't have to make monthly payments if you don't want to...just pay off the balance any time and you own it in full. The phone will be locked to AT&T initially, but they will unlock it as soon as you pay it off.

8. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Just use the ATT next plan then after two months pay off the full amount of the phone... Then it will be unlocked as well and you can keep the phone as well as use next again.

Yes, you can. After you have been billed and made two monthly installment payments, as long as your account is in good standing, you are eligible to take advantage of our Pay to Upgrade option.

To reach upgrade status, you will need to pay your remaining installments in one lump sum. For AT&T Next 12, pay a lump sum amount that equals 12 installment payments. For AT&T Next 18, pay a lump sum amount that equals 18 installment payments. When paid, you are eligible to trade in your AT&T Next smartphone.

----------

you do have to make two payments first before paying the whole thing off.

9. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for these replies. I was a bit confused over the next thing. So what all are saying is you CAN go with the NEXT thing to get the phone now on ATT, and literally just pay it off in a few months if you want too? I think I missed that somewhere, but if that is the case, makes the most sense to me. I'd rather not buy the T-Mobile phone and swap the SIM if I don't have too. I know, shouldn't be a big deal, but if it was that easy, why can't I just buy an ATT phone right off the bat full price?

Eh, again, thanks all. You have cleared things up quite a bit.

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Seems like the first page should have in big letters this:

With NEXT, you can still pay off the phone if full at the same price as buying it upfront.

I am also amazed how many people will say "I don't want to _____", but not say why - giving others a chance to help them out.

11. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

Yes, that's exactly what you can do. I was a bit confused about the Next option too but I was told, by 3 separate reps, that you can select the next option and pay the phone off in full whenever you'd like. The only other thing that the Next plan does is eliminate the bind of the 2-year contract.

12. inthecup macrumors regular

Ditto my friend !!!!

13. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL, you are probably right. There is so much info out there, a simple statement like that is what is really needed! :D

----------

Last question on this regarding NEXT. I currently have 3 iPhones. Pay 140 per month total which includes the unlimited talk\text and 10GB data. Works great and more than the family needs. (The family share thing).

I'm the only one looking to get a new phone. If I go to NEXT, just on my line, I'm assuming all stays the same except that my bill would go up a bit just for my line, to start paying for the phone? Just trying to find out if anything else would change.

Thanks again