So when I get my new iMac, What should i spend my £65/$100 on?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smoge, Jun 16, 2011.

1. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

This will be my fist mac and not sure what to spend it on.

Any good mac apps you could recommend,

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Dont spend it if you dont need to spend $100. Pages/Microsoft Word are good apps if you're in college (I am) and need to write papers. FaceTime is $.99 but may be free with Lion. I also use iprocrastinate which is free for macs but $.99 for iPhones.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have bought both Reeder and Sparrow from the Mac app store and am loving both. Sparrow is an alternate mail client that I think is much better and easier to use that the native apple mail app, but it looks like in Lion the new mail will look a whole lot like Sparrow. Reeder is an RSS reader that allows you to read all of your favorite news sites all in one application. I was a long time user of NetNewsWire, and have recently switched over to Reeder just because I loved the interface and it made reading articles on websites such as Gizmodo or Engadget that much better. I would definitely recommend both.

4. cr2 macrumors regular

Aperture might be worth considering.

Hello,

I recently got my first Mac, love it. Aperture is great if you are into photos. iPhoto is good but it has limitations. I have to tell you that Aperture is a steal at $79 if you need it for photo management. I was lucky and paid only $40 as I got iTunes cards on craigslist :)

You will be surprised that Mac is self sufficient out of the box.

If you want to then you may want to upgrade the memory and harddisk (faster).

Cheers!

5. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

If he just bought a new Mac facetime HD comes with it.

6. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

yeah thats what I meant.. it may come with it. Also I love to use Mixtab, its an app that contains all news about selected topics.