Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I really was hoping to get the iPhone 4 in couple months, but now, I see all the threads about reception issues from holding it "wrong", broken glass from just breathing on it wrong, and sensor issues.
Is the iPhone 4 the tech equivalent of New Coke?

It would seem to me that I should just go with the 3GS, right? Or are there people out there that are perfectly happy with their phones and have no issues to speak of? And if people have issues, are they actually that bad, or are the numerous threads I'm reading here tinged with a bit of hyperbole?

Honestly, I flipping torn here.

tianh

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
Really?

Even if the iphone 4 is infested with problems, paying 100 dollars more for 8 gigbytes more storage, a way better battery is enough of reason to get the iphone 4. Thats not to mention all the other functions

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
You should play with the iPhone 4 YOURSELF instead of making decisions based on total random stranger's opinions. Also, over 2 million iPhones have been sold. How many of those 2 million users are posting here? Less than 1%. That's nothing, that's less than nothing.

Do your research and decide for yourself, you always get a better perspective.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
It just seems really bad because all you're reading is complaints. Not many people go to forums to say how great their phone is. A few people running in to issues out of the over 1.7 million that have been sold. Best way to decide to experience it yourself.

JayDude132

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
This is because you're reading macrumors and everything gets blown way out of proportion. The screens are very tough, i dont know why anyone would say they arent. If anyone did they are a troll.

It would be a dumb idea to get a 3GS and not a 4. And as you know, holding the 3GS wrong also results in dropped signal, along with many many other phones on the market. DO NOT GET A 3GS, GET A 4!

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
If I was given the choice I would go for the iPhone 4, an apple bumper fixed my 'deathgrip' issues btw, the battery life is amazing and the screen is just downright gorgeous. I am also looking forward to making the most of the LED flash and 720p video. Also by choosing the 4 you can guarantee compatibility with the upcoming iPhone 4 only apps which will no doubt be very, very tempting.

Your choice though, no pressure!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It would seem to me that I should just go with the 3GS, right? Or are there people out there that are perfectly happy with their phones and have no issues to speak of?

I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 4, and have no issues. No antenna problem. My proximity sensor works. My glass hasn't cracked.

I think the lines speak for themselves: we're still seeing lines of people to BUY the iPhone 4, and yet no huge lines to RETURN it. It seems to me WAY more people are keeping their phones than not. There's gotta be a reason for that.

On the other hand, you could buy a 3GS. But you'll be limited to 8GB storage (unless you're buying used), the lower res screen, lesser RAM. Definitely not something you wanna blow your upgrade eligibility on.

My suggestion is, when you're ready, get the iPhone 4, and order it from the Apple store. That'll give you 30 days to try it with no restocking fee. If it ends up giving you trouble (which I doubt... whatever the problems are, Apple should have them fixed by then or they're in deep trouble), take it back and exchange it. If THAT one gives you trouble, return it and get something else.

And if people have issues, are they actually that bad, or are the numerous threads I'm reading here tinged with a bit of hyperbole?

When is MacRumors NOT tinged with hyperbole, overhype, exaggeration, and all-around people with OCD and too much time on their hands?

It's a phone. It's not that important.

On the other hand, DON'T buy the iPhone 4 if:

- You buy an Apple product, then immediately remove it from the package in-store and scrutinize every square millimeter for the slightest imperfections... then go home and scrutinize it again...and again... and again.... and again.... and then when you accidentally dent, nick or scratch it, you want to see if Apple will exchange it for you and get very angry if they won't.

- You have a tendency to drop things

- You have really sweaty palms.

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'll sell you my 3GS off contract ;)

but yea don't get the 3GS (unless you want mine otherwise the following is untrue ;)) The screen is 200x better on the 4, battery last way longer, you have to try to replicate the antenna issue. I don't have any other issues with mine.

malbright

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
My iPhone 4 is perfect, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Apple has wonderful customer support so even if you have a problem you can return your phone for a new one. For me, it's a quantum leap from the 3G and 3GS, so I highly recommend it. Don't waste your money on a dying piece of kit.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
YES, get the 3GS. SERIOUSLY, do what i telll you. I know what im talking about. *Confirmed*

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I tried to come up with some witty reference to 7up Gold or Clear Pepsi.. but I failed.

btw, get the 4, I love mine.

nihalz

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
i am also leaning towards getting a 3gs as well especially since only god knows when the iphone 4 will be released in canada

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I really was hoping to get the iPhone 4 in couple months, but now, I see all the threads about reception issues from holding it "wrong", broken glass from just breathing on it wrong, and sensor issues.
Is the iPhone 4 the tech equivalent of New Coke?

It would seem to me that I should just go with the 3GS, right? Or are there people out there that are perfectly happy with their phones and have no issues to speak of? And if people have issues, are they actually that bad, or are the numerous threads I'm reading here tinged with a bit of hyperbole?

the new coke had proximity sensor issues?

but, cool story bro :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.