So, Where is iVoice? (VoIP)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BergerFan, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

What I'm surprised at, is why hasn't Apple unveiled iVoice(or something similar) yet?
    Everything is in place, for iOS-to-iOS voice-only VoIP calls - FaceTime, without the 'face', if you will.

Carriers might moan, but with the iPhone on almost every carrier, how much influence would they ultimately have anyway?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is the carriers who instruct what apps for phone use come on your device.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Apple can, and has, sold apps on the appstore though.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple needs the carriers to be on board to some extent.

iMessage uses such a tiny amount of data that carriers can't really control its use. Even if you have a tiny data allowance each message uses a very small amount of data to send/receive, so you wont really use much of that plan.

A voice call uses much more data than that and has an indeterminable duration. A 500MB data plan wouldn't stretch as far if you were doing VoIP using it.

If carriers disliked the idea, they could charge a lot more for data usage or reduce data allowances - negating any benefits of the system.

I think that's why Facetime still doesn't work over 3G - that's a purely artificial limitation due to Apple's relationship with carriers all over the world.

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

so aside from the carrier aspect... why isn't there one that is "wifi only" like facetime?

I turned my old galaxy S into a dedicated VOIP phone to use for work and it's great (so far). would like the same functionality from my iPhone.

6. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you use Skype and talk free over Voip to other Skype users? (I think you have to pay if you call an actual number)

7. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

It would aggravate consumer demand.

Nobody uses Facetime except a very small portion of people, but you can bet that a Wifi only calling feature would be used by EVERYBODY and make EVERY person think "why doesn't this work on 3G?" and blame the carriers for this limitation, as they should.

In other words, Apple is doing the carriers a favor by not introducing iCall for Wifi.

----------

Yes, but to make this a native feature for iPhones, iPods, iPads would REALLY be a lot easier than using Skype. (that stupid app is so slow)

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Their is (kind of). I do this often.

Initiate a call via FaceTime
    Let the other person connect
    Once FaceTime has started, press the Home button to turn off hour camera and you can now talk via wifi either as a speaker phone, with headphones or a Bluetooth headset.

It's not an ideal solution, but it works.

This also means that if Apple wanted to create a VoIP (even over wifi), the technology is there.

9. cynics macrumors G3

No way to use google voice on an iPhone?

I use my tablet for a VoIP phone via google voice. It's nice to talk and send txt over 3G/4G. You can get a local number or port your current number, free calling VoIP, texting via data, and voicemail.

10. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Interesting...especially due to the fact that Google Voice isn't VoIP.

11. Acejam2k macrumors regular

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

What do you use for that? Using Google Voice directly or using an app like Talkatone or something else?

13. lordofthereef, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The only way I can see Apple needing carrier permission (possibly) is to use VOiP over 3G/4G. They should be able to do it just fine over wifi. If not, we wouldn't have apps like skype and such. They could even incorporate it into an iMessage type thing where it uses voip over wifi to make calls between iPhone users. Honestly, I just don't know that the demand is there, at least with the users in the states. I know I have more rollover than I know what to do with. Most of the calling we do is either covered in free nights and weekends or the in-network use, and I know that's the same for others as well.

14. cynics macrumors G3

You are correct I'm sorry. On my tablet I use google voice in combination with an app called "groove ip" to do VoIP. Gv is more for getting it a phone number. My bad.