So ... Where is the AHCA?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rhonindk, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

President Donald Trump told Republican senators lunching at the White House on Tuesday the House-passed health care reform bill he celebrated earlier this year was "mean."

Trump made clear multiple times that he was pleased that the Senate negotiations appeared to be moving away from where the House version of the repeal and replace effort ended up, according to three sources familiar with the meeting.

Trump told the lawmakers that the House bill didn't go far enough in protecting individuals in the marketplace -- and appeared to use that as his rationale for why he has ambiguously called twice for the Senate to "add more money" to the bill.

Interesting...

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The AHCA is in a room with 13 senators, trying on some dresses.

It will be beautiful, absolutely beautiful when it emerges. :)

3. IronWaffle, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I thought it was a piece of toilet paper dangling from Paul Ryan's right loafer as he hustles to avoid questions about the Twit-in-chief.

Thanks for posting the article. Glad to see Trump might actually be paying attention to this bill with an eye towards "the greater good."

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Don't forget the lipstick. That always improves things immeasurably.

5. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

They should pull in Melania for some fashion tips. :D
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    Listened to Schumer roll out threats. So tiring. When is he and others going to get off their collective asses and work with instead of threatening doom and gloom.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

They could probably do a whole lot worse than get Melania to pitch it. But, shades of another First Lady getting involved in health care cast long shadows and assorted ghosts roam the hallways, so she's better off finding something else she wants to work on.

As for Schumer and the Democrats, they certainly might have something to offer but I don't think they've been invited to help on the "repeal" side of the GOP effort, and their ideas for the "replacement" don't very likely jibe with a huge tax cut to be paid for by ripping into Medicaid funding.

I'm toying with the idea of reminding you that the Republicans' idea of helping America with the ACA was to decorate the bill with assorted poison pill amendments, and then lean in with lobbyists drafting the thing to help prevent the bill from looking like anything really serviceable right out of the box. Hence my belief the GOP deserves this opportunity to try to fix a program America does not want repealed and deserved a beetter version of to begin with. Uh oh, too late, I toyed with that idea so long it ended up in my post.
    At least the Speaker is trying to save Trump from himself by suggesting that it's best to let Mueller do his job. As opposed to inviting impeachment by getting someone in the AG's office to fire him (which process imo might well look like the Saturday night massacre of Nixon's Watergate scandal). Weird to me that assorted surrogates still seem to be pushing the "Trump might fire Mueller scenario" --and proposing various "reasons" why he never should have been appointed to begin with-- as if making an effort to pre-sully Mueller's work as special counsel. Another really stupid move, altough not surprising.

Yes @Rhonindk thank you, that is an interesting piece. One wonders if Trump plan to help them out and suggest where to get the extra money that he wants added to the funding. A smaller tax cut? If they add something and don't take something else out, it only pushes the very conservative House members closer to the door.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

9. samcraig macrumors P6

The ACHA is practicing executive privilege and cannot discuss what's inside it

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No no...no executive privilege. It's just "not appropriate".

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Maybe we will get lucky and he will go back to his previous support for single payer and drag the rest of the Republicans along with him.

12. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Am I the only one who hates Ryan's sad-smile routine? I wonder what they served for lunch at the White House. Poached salmon with dill sauce would be appropriate.
    He's easily influenced with enough voices in his ear. A weakness, but one that could be exploited for good.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Work on what? What bill do you think Schumer could come up with that would even make it out of a Republican-controlled committee? The "work" you seem to expect from Schumer is to transform himself into a conservative.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

When Democrats aren't even being shown what the Republicans are working on, what do you expect them to do? How can Democrats contribute anything to something they have not seen? Claire McCaskill was actually begging them last week to allow her to add amendments just as Dems had allowed Republicans to add amendments to things before. Did you miss that? I posted it in the thread about them hiding their plan while everyone was watching Comey hearing. Here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...te-prepares-to-pass-healthcare.2050516/page-2

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Paul Ryan looks like he want to break Trumps nose in that photo.

16. Rhonindk, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Chuckle - true. She is better of staying away ;)

With the ACA, Republicans, AHCA, Democrats ... all true. Still, one of Schumer's early "rants" and referenced by Pelosi was the claim they would not help with the AHCA in any fashion.
    This is a later one saying ACA repair or nothing http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/schumer-seizes-trump-teams-offer-work-dems/
    Looking for earlier "speech". Found this. http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/314317-schumer-puts-gop-on-notice-over-obamacare-repeal

--- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    If you read the details ...
    The party was for actually passing AHCA something. AHCA anything.
    The "mean" was for not going far enough to protect the recipients.
    Sounds like Pelosi's complaint about the ACA.
    You know, I suspect if Congress could collectively come up with a workable SP plan he would.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You don't celebrate something and then complain about it mere weeks later. Actually to be more accurate, celebrate something not even done and then complain about what you did. It's....well there are no words for such actions other than unbelievable.

It's like playing a football game, celebrating at halftime as if you won, and then complaining in the 3rd quarter that you were too rough and mean and inadequate in some way in the first half.

If the first effort really was mean or bad in some way, then the president should have insisted on something else then. Not thrown a beer party. :rolleyes:

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

it's in a box. They're sending a GOP staffer named Pandora to open it before the July 4th recess.

19. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Spend enough time with your in-laws then.

20. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Why not? He insisted on "A". The House passed it. They celebrated. On further review it was not quite "A". He extolled the Senate to do "A" or more.
    Why do you see that as so wrong? It's normal.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Shhh, it's a secret until it's passed.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Oh my god...it is so not normal that it's not even funny. There aren't beer parties in the rose garden for something only one chamber has passed.

And what is with this "upon further review" nonsense? Everyone knew how crappy it was at the time of debate and passage. Well, everyone except Trump apparently.

"Who knew?" Everyone.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yup. Even without understanding all the details, when they ram it through without waiting for the CBO score, you know it's going to hurt.

Except trump. He's the only one who didn't have a clue. :rolleyes:

24. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Armchair quarterbacking a bit?
    We all knew from the onset that this would be a living document that would evolve as it moved through the Senate. That it didn't't have everything when leaving the House. That it needed further work.
    You act like it was set in stone when leaving the House.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Stop making excuses and stop trying to revise history. The "meanness" was set in stone.

An analogy: Let's say you are in the kitchen and make a really crappy burger. You know it's crappy at the time. It's inedible even. Yet you decide to brag about your accomplishment anyway saying how much better your burger is than the last chef who made one in that kitchen.

Then a few weeks later you say that your burger was in fact crappy in some way. Does that make any sense? I say no. I think it sounds insane actually.