So who has a dark band on the bottom of your new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kronie, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

So after giving up the new iMacs after two replacements about six months ago for yellow screens......I thought I would try again.

The good news is that the white is very uniform with no yellowing. The bad news is that it has this dark band across the bottom of the screen just above the dock.

So I am basically in the same spot I was six months ago. Replace the unit for a new one, replace the screen, or just live with it.

Maybe I am being too anal but for $2,500, I shouldn't have to live with anything but a perfect screen.

[​IMG]

2. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

I really don't understand people that keep posting these sorts of threads.

If you're not satisfied, the answer is very simple. Take it back to Apple and either ask for a replacement, or if you're within the appropriate timeframe, ask for a refund.

The only way Apple (aside from their own volition) will improve build quality & QA performance is through customer feedback via returns/repairs/refunds.

3. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Seriously, What is wrong with Apple Quality Control!!? Is Apple going down hill?

My story:
    2009 - Got 20" iMac 2.66GHZ - 1 dead pixel
    2009 - Got 21.5" iMac - 3 dead pixels, yellow tint, 1 stuck pixel.
    2010 - Got replacement 21.5" iMac, 4 dead pixels, yellow tint.

I just noticed the dead pixels today =/.. Honestly unacceptable, maybe its just my luck, but what is going on ?? I don't even wanna bother taking it back.. If it was local then a different story, and Its been over 14days in my case.. I just noticed them today, I wish I had a while back.. I'm still under 30days, but I don't think they will take it back..

I've bought quite a few monitors (non apple) in the past, about over 6, and I have only encountered a dead pixel in one of those 6..

4. Pachang macrumors regular

Everyone.

5. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Really? You dont understand why people post threads like this? I guess I could spell it out to you but I doubt you would get it....

6. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

I do actually understand it, I'd want to complain and whine about the problem online because that will completely solve the problem and make Apple listen, instead of actually making a decision for myself and spending some time contacting Apple (store or phone or whatever) to sort the problem out. Then I'd feel compelled to vent my spleen to a community that will listen to me and sympathise with my plight.

But I also realise not everyone can do anything for themselves without asking five people for their opinions and then making a decision based on what other people say.

At anyrate, good luck with Apple, I hope it gets sorted for you and you end up with a machine that you enjoy using.

7. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

What? Umm maybe to inform fellow consumers about any current problems with their Macs. To help the consumer make informed decisions and to help keep them abreast about probable problems and possible solutions.

8. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

See I prove my point....sounds like you completely understand it...... and thank you for your meaningful input to the conversation.

9. dexthageek macrumors 6502

..No

10. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

My '08 24" iMac has the exact same 'band' at the bottom; it's somewhat annoying, but I tend to ignore it.

11. lilTanker macrumors newbie

I do and I got a fantastically irritating story to go with it too!

I called apple, went through the hardware check and other little things to try and clear the problem. They decided to replace it

Got sent a replacement... It has the same problem

Got sent a new replacement... It has the same problem again!

So now I'm taking it to an apple genius bar and they are going to replace the screen because well, I don't want another bloody mac shipped out to me I want a working iMac!

Suffice to say I'm pissed at apple right now and the low standard of quality control.

12. mojo50 macrumors newbie

iMac display

No problems here. New Imac purchased 2 weeks ago. 21 inch though, not sure if that is why, but my display is perfect. (And I'm picky!)

13. MacHamster68, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

people just place these threads because they are annoyed about having to return and return iMacs because of a what seems to be a lazy bunch of QC people at the Apple factory

i am still waiting to hear from Apple that they seeked advice from dell how to build that panel inside the iMac without those side effects , cant be that hard if dell can do it why not apple
    so i am waiting to order my iMac from colorware

in white with a less glossy display without all those issues , as i know i will never get a Matte display option ever again no matter how much i would be willing to pay for that option,
    but it must be possible to make that thing less glossy without having to wrap it in some sort of cling film :(