So who here really thinks they'll announce the new 15" MacBook Pro on 4/24?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smiller4128, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

A lot of people seem to be confident that Apple will release at least a 15" MacBook Pro on 4/24 which is the day after Intel publicly announces the ivy bridge tips. I'm really hoping for it but I'm thinking Apple will hold off until they can release Mountain Lion alongside everything. What do you guys think?

2. soulniz macrumors member

I think they'll announce it on the 23rd or 24th and then launch it the 29th. At least everything seems to indicate that they do.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm not going to bet on an exact date, but it's close now. I think the 17" may well be officially "Retired" at the same time.

Mine is pretty new, and I'm hanging on to it, weight and all! SSD's to enhance the new range and a 15" screen just makes sense....I think my Pro may be a keeper this time!

4. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Im very cautiously hopeful, theres alot that indicate a possibility, but the indications are speculation, people have stated that they have not matched OS and hardware releases before so no need to start now. Plus, if they release now they can sell the OS to people and make more money that way. But hey, atm, Im thinking if they delay to June, that means I can save the last remaining money for the purchase instead of making a plan for it which will cost me 20-40 dollars more... small potatoes but thinking that way helps easy the pain. :p

5. hafr macrumors 68030

I'm thinking MBA in May and MBP in July/August.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My MBP is my first in my update cycle to be replaced, but it's not until early next year....If I stick to it. Should the 17" be removed, it's going to be even more expensive for me, as I will keep the 17". I know it's not exactly the most portable of Macs, my MBA makes it feel like I'm carrying a house, but if Apple stop making them, I will keep it, use as a secondary desktop with my iMac, and buy top end of the new 15" range when it's announced.

7. New Apple macrumors regular

i think that is not important to know that it will happen on 24th or 31th or 3th(next month)

i mean we are not gonna die the next day so or i buy it or i miss it
    1-2-4 weeks, time goes fast

8. beowulf70 macrumors regular

beowulf70

I hope it is that date. I need to buy ASAP...

9. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I dont think the 17" is going anywhere, yet. My current Mbp is my first ever Mac, and theres simply no way in hell im going to choose something other than a Mac again, Im simply to pleased and happy with it. However, performancewise its a low-end 13" and when I bought it my economy couldnt handle more than that, If I had been more aware of things Id probably have gone for a 15" right away, when I could afford it, but Im not going 13" again, even if its QC and a discrete GPU (which i sincerely doubt) Im decided on a 15" Its just a pity that Ill have to settle for a low-end instead of a high-end but hey thats life. With a little luck the resolution is at least 1680x1050 (that will probably suffice for me, I dont really need retina) And they will hopefully ruin upgradability, after all, its a Pro machine not an Air machine and I just cant see Apple merching both lines into 1, its great to have 2 variations that have such different qualities. But thats what I hope, I dont know what to expect and Im honestly more pessimistic now than before I joined this forum to keep myself updated. I do believe though that you will be able to pick 17" on your next update. I have nothing to back that up though, other than a rather large gut feeling. :)
    If the optimists get it right with big upgrades and retina and everything, the 17" will quite a hardcore machine, except for, as you said, its portability. :)

----------

Need as in you hate waiting or need as in youre screwed if you dont get a laptop soon? Hehe.

10. roofz macrumors regular

11. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I need a new MacBook really bad...all I've got is my iPad at the moment. I'm on the edge of buying a 17" right now but figure I can probably wait until Tuesday and see if anything happens...otherwise it's like the new MacBook will come out in June/July sometime

12. beowulf70 macrumors regular

beowulf70

Screwed, by Apple. Yes, I would like to keep my email address... (as he writes this on an 8 year old PowerBook G4) :rolleyes:

Plus, I am a little impatient... this is going to be one sweet piece of kit...

13. Liquinn Suspended

My worry is there's not any rumours really circulating at the moment. I really want to buy a 15" now but I would be gutted if they got updated next week.

14. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

You just linked to a post FILLED with rumors in the redesign thread. What exactly qualifies as a rumor in your eyes? Apple announcing it? Because you know, thats not really a rumor per say.

15. beowulf70 macrumors regular

beowulf70

.."not any rumours really circulating".....? Have you read any Forums here!?

Check out the Buyers Guide ...what does it say?

(at least you can spell rumours) ;)

16. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Apple Refurb in Europe showing many MBP's!

I was very surprised:eek: to see around 30 listings for MacBookPros on the Apple Italy refurb and Apple UK refurb corner. This is really around five times the normal display of items - could well be an indicator!

lots of 2.3/2.4/2.5GHz Core i7's

17. Liquinn Suspended

There's 18 refurbished 15" MBPs for sale on the UK apple refurb section, that's a hell of a lot.

Maybe you're right hehe :):apple:

18. hafr macrumors 68030

Yeah, those darn americans and their american english, huh?

----------

I love it. Some people go nuts when there are none and go "this is a SIGN!", others act like that when there are many... It's like people forget what refurbs are.

19. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

As badly as I need/want an upgrade as quickly as possible, I don't think we'll see it until late this summer. If it was going to be announced on Tuesday we'd be hearing more about it now. Fingers crossed for an April surprise though!

20. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

I thought Apple doesn't normally make any announcements on the macbooks like they do for the Iphones for ipads, do they?

21. beowulf70 macrumors regular

beowulf70

I spoke to a staff member in the Apple Store (London Regent Street) today and he said the same. Apple don't usually make an announcement for an update... But is this going to be just another update? Many of us think not and hope not.

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

correct not for the typical refresh, i do believe its a total redisgn it would be more likely to have an announcement but its hard to pretict what apple will do

23. wenstinator macrumors member

they report earnings on 4/24. i think it is unlikely they will do a product announcement on the same day.

24. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

Other way around is much more likely.

25. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Look updated MBPs & MBAs are waiting for Intel to release the ivy bridge chip sets. The chips for the 15" and 17" MBPs will be ready at the end of April. The chips for the 13" MBPs and 13" MBAs will be ready in June. They are not coming out any sooner than that.