So who will the Dems run in 2020?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Nov 29, 2016.

1. DakotaGuy, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

So I've been giving this some thought. What sort of candidate can the Democrats run in 2020 and be able to pull those working class voters back into the fold? It has to be someone that's tough and appealing to a wide group of people. Someone that is non-PC when they need to be, but sane. Someone who is progressive, but still a defender of the Bill of Rights. Pro gun. Someone without a ton of baggage.

Your normal Democrat (appeals to only liberals on the coasts) isn't the right approach. The Democrats need a 50 State candidate.

I'd like to see your suggestions, but for me it's this man... a modern Teddy Roosevelt. I'm thinking former Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer would be a great candidate to put up against Trump. I feel he could bring a lot of those working class middle of the country Democrats back. Anyhow this is my suggestion.

topics_schweitzer_395.jpg

2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Meh, I hate Schweitzer. I think Booker/Warren could do well enough in Ohio, PA and WI to seal the deal.

The idea that the US is center-right is a myth. The US polls left on most issues. They even approved of Obamacare when asked about the provisions in the ACA without the baggage connected to the term "Obamacare." Most importantly, they need a candidate that seems genuine when speaking to the needs of working class folks IMO.

3. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Why do you hate Schweitzer? Is it because he is Pro-2nd Amendment? That's usually the biggest complaint from the anti-2nd Amendment Democrats when it comes to Schweitzer. They still think that gun control and gun bans will help them win, but I'm telling you it's hurting them in the Midwest and Rust belt.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Warren could be the first Native American in the WH, no? lol

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

6. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

IMG_0167.JPG I keep hearing the liberals say the Democratic Party needs to push more left, but as we can see that push and only focusing on winning the White House has destroyed the party at the state and local level. The party is weak as ever right now.

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

8. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

It's not because they pushed left. Hillary Clinton is center-right on almost all economic issues. It's because the DNC largely ignored state house races and governorships. And it's easier to win races when you're in the opposition party. This has been pretty well documented.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

very interesting!!!

10. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well they need to try something different. Why are they so intent on sticking with Nancy Pelosi as their leader in the House? They've done nothing but lose seats with her in charge. I'm afraid they will lose even more local, State and congressional races in 2018 because they seem intent on sticking with the same leadership and ideas. It's sad because the GOP needs some strong competition.

I always thought Howard Dean had the right idea with the 50 State strategy and appealing to a larger voting demographic.

11. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Booker without Warren.

Warren will lose any moderate Democrats that Booker manages to get.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Why do you hate Native Americans?

13. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

She IS NOT a Native American. I know real Native Americans that are offended that she tried to inflate her tiny percentage of American Indian blood for personal gain.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I was joking. ;) I mean she does have high cheek bones.

15. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Clearly Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is the only viable candidate that could appeal to both sides at this point.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

My guess is one of the Castro brothers. Texas not Cuba type.

17. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Keith "ISIS" Ellison? They're guaranteed to sweep the radical Islamists and SJW demographics!

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Jason Kander from Missouri. Only because he had the best commercial of the entire election season.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Now you've gotten me curious. What was this commercial?

20. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Any Democrat who has a Republican-like view on guns, abortion, or healthcare just cannot win the primaries.

If 4 years of Trump don't bring jobs back to the Rust Belt, then Democrats will have an easier time convincing those voters because a weak job market trumps ideology. Pun not really intended.

But if Trump's economy does improve their circumstances, then those states are probably lost for a long time.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Thanks. Not sure I'd support him based on that commercial alone, but it's an interesting approach to address the issue.

23. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Is that to do with being left or being liberal? Being left wing doesn't stop you caring about working class white people , it practically requires it.

24. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Hillary again. She really deserves to be the first woman presiden

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Except the Democrats didn't talk to them, Trump did and he ended up winning because of it. The left has become too caught up in pandering to the SJW'ers and making sure a 40yr old man can go piss next to a 6yr old girl in the bathroom if he feels like it.