so - who's been waiting the LONGEST to buy a new MBP refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DUNCVILLE, Feb 14, 2010.

1. DUNCVILLE macrumors member

Thought it'd be fun to see who's been waiting longest.

For me, I went looking for an apple notebook in around October, and quickly realised that a new one was around the corner - so decided to wait. It's my first apple experience ever so i figure i may as well have the newest since i'm not in a rush.

But how about you? Anyone been waiting a crazy length of time? and if so - why?

2. showkati macrumors regular

yea I've been waiting for the core i5/i7's since 1985.

3. bananaboi macrumors member

Since January 13th.. right when the Intel promo started the speculation of core i5/i7 processors in the new MBPs. I returned my Sony Vaio F as soon as I saw this.

How could u have waited since October? I would've just bought one at the time cuz it would've been only 3-4 months old, and core2duos wouldn'tve been that bad.

I like MBPs cuz of 5 main features:
    1.) Keyboard lighting
    2.) Lightweight
    3.) Efficient battery life
    4.) Mainstream performance
    5.) LED matte screen

Find me those features on any laptop and I would order it immediately.

4. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

ROFL !

5. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

My current MBP was purchased in June 2006 and even back then I said there is no way I would upgrade until I can get a quad core at 8-16gbs of ram

so you might say I have been waiting over three years?! :D

6. Bluegiz90 macrumors member

You might be waiting longer, Arrandale is not Quad core is it? :confused:

7. spikemike macrumors newbie

The centre of the universe, Braintree, Essex, UK
    My first post here, so hello everyone.

We have a 24" imac but as we live in a small house with a newborn baby we are looking at downsizing the imac.

I used to film weddings but as that has finished we have been looking at a 13" MBP, we are patiently waiting for the new lineup of MBP before we dive in, probably been waiting around 5 months?

8. loyrun macrumors newbie

• Mid December 09- Installed bootcamp on a friends MB, became interested in Mac OS
    • Christmas 09- got a chance to mess around with my cousins MB
    • early jan 09- started going to apple store and decided I wanted a 13" MBP but decided to wait as I was in no hurry.
    • jan 26th 09- about punched a hole in the wall when I saw the ipad
    • January 28th- listed current(older) dell laptop on craigslist for way more than I expected to get to test the waters.
    • Feb 1- some idiot agreed to my price so I sold it.
    • Currently awaiting every Tuesday like Christmas. I'll wait until march 2nd and then buy one...

9. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

I just listened to Nirvanas In Utero. So, I guess, that's where I started to dream about it.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Best post ever!!:D

11. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Since about September or October I think. Possibly November

12. laurenjeanbean macrumors newbie

definitely not as long as 1985 :p but for a good 8 months or so! i'm trying so hard to be patient and not think about it but it's killing me! i'm actually "shadowing" at apple tomorrow (i live about 15 minutes away) so i'm going to ask for the heck of it :D

13. Redbookpro macrumors newbie

Me :)

Well.. maybe... I have the 426th macbook pro built. I ordered the day it was announced, then waited a month or so to get it. It's been the best computer I've ever owned.

By today's standards, it's ancient. It's not even a core 2 duo, with 2 Gigs of Ram and 2Ghz, it still performs amazingly, but I often find I have 2 Gigs of swap going on. But, I've upgraded the drive to a 360 Gig 7200 RPM and I've upgraded the wifi to 802.11n .

I think I've been waiting to upgrade this laptop since last year. When the unibody Macs came out, I was ready to buy, but it's amazing that the old MBP is still going strong.

I like to get 4 years out of each laptop, and this MBP has not let me down in that regards, I'm now at exactly four years I believe.

So... anyway.. it's time. One of the good things about this long wait is that I've set aside enough money to be able to afford the $3000 or whatever it's going to cost.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I waited from January last year, when my current laptop packed in. When the updates came out in 2009 I decided to pass cos I'd fixed this one and hoped it'd last to now. I did get a new 13 incher but it was for the gf and I get to use it occasionally. I still haven't got used to the keys having a space between them, much prefer my current keyboard. :eek:

15. Hexero macrumors regular

16. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

87' right here

17. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

Since page one of the first "Waiting for Arrandale" thread (March 2009).

18. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Since the iPad announcement. Since I sold my laptop just prior to that date, it does seem like I've been waiting since 1985. Have to use my PC erk!

19. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

20. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Mid December. Not long before I joined the forum I suppose B). Went to a mac store and remembered the buys guide so quickly checked it and decided to wait.

21. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I've been waiting for the Intel Core i7 to come to the Mac since my 4th birthday. So 29 years. Everyone laughed at me because the Mac didn't exist yet. I showed them...

22. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Since late 2008 I guess. I had just gotten an early 2008 MacBook Pro (non unibody) and I liked the look of the new ones. A year later I managed to completely wreck it and ended up getting a Windows laptop due to lack of funds, however the more I use it the more I really miss Mac OS X so now I'm trying to sell my Windows laptop while waiting for the new MBP refresh!

23. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

A couple of months since I finally figured out my Hackint0sh (BTW it was a pain in the ass, and still have problems sometimes) but at least I have a mac running on a i7 unfortunately it was not a easy process and had to do it all over again, and again, and again.

Easy process Apple just release one now that I have the money................... :p

24. awdougherty macrumors newbie

Since last summer. Promised myself that as long as my old MBP held out (going on 4 years now), I wouldn't pay Apple's prices for another Core2Duo chip.