So who's excited about being able to run Steam games in the very near future?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ozziegn, May 2, 2010.

1. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I'm tickled pink that I will soon be able to play Steam games like Half Life 2 on my 27" iMac w/o having to use Bootcamp.

who else is planning on doing this?

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Me. I just want to see how well it runs compared to my Windows box.

3. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I don't know about your machine but my 27" iMac should run the game pretty easily. at least I hope it does...

4. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, it should run it nicely. I just don't see myself using my Tiny bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse when I have a G11 and G5 hooked up to my desktop. :p The PC is like 6 years old though... So that's the real issue. Good thing HL2 is like 6 years old!

5. Mike777 macrumors member

Don't you guys think we should have had this from the start years ago? I kinda feel that this is Apple's fault. They could have thrown a cookie and a bone at Valve a long time ago to encourage porting and so forth.

I guess steve never figured games being important up until recent:p

6. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Cant wait to be honest, hope this leads to bigger and better things. Who know, the iMac might become Apples number 1 gaming machine in the future. The 4850 in the quad imacs is very decent for a mac. :cool:

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has always seemed to have a disdain for games on the mac, which is why it seems so odd that they're so easily embracing it on the iPhone.

8. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N70-3 Ireland-Opera: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Not much of a pc game player...but had a thought..

What with steam coming out soon...and the whole gamecenter API for idevices., maybe we'll see the system evolve to macs and be an equivalent to Microsoft live and it's pc/xbox/mobile combo.

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

Steam is just a content delivery platform. Games still have to be ported to OSX. We can only hope that with the advent of Steam on the Mac developers will start doing that.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I will. But I'm not overly excited to play six years old games AGAIN that I've already played a couple of times on Windows and on the Xbox 360.

Actually, it's too little too late. The Mac never was a gaming platform and never will be one. Even PC gaming is on a demise -- consoles and mobile devices are where the action is. If you want to play current top titles, forget the Mac and the PC and buy an Xbox 360.

11. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You want see a difference because Valve's game engine is two or three generations old. It's not very demanding. If Crysis 2 were available for Macs, then you would have a real benchmark.

12. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

PC gaming has a larger install base than all three major consoles combined, its not on the demise at all. NPD doesn't track digital distribution so doom and gloom articles about PC gaming are very misleading. People have been saying PC gaming is dying for over 20 years now and yet its stronger than ever.

And buy a 360? lol, I am not a glutton for punishment, I don't typically reward a product with such a high failure rate by ignoring that fact and purchasing it. I would sooner have a PS3 than a 360 anyday of the week and I do, besides all of the best games on the 360 are better on Windows anyway.

13. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I agree. I only gamed on PC after trying Xbox. So much better.

I'll give Steam a try if and only if I can use my Steam games that I purchased on the PC. They'll be available right??

14. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Eh?

Having worked in a Game store last year while at university - ugh - I can confirm PC gaming is dying. Even a cursory glance at most non-platform specific games mags would confirm.

I'd love to see an objective source for the statement I quoted in bold.

15. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

What are you talking about? You act as if valve does not release new games. You won'y be playing 6 year old games. Left 4 dead 2 is less than a year old. And there will also be Portal 2. Then Halflife 2 Episode 3.
    So no, you won't only be playing 6 year old games.
    Plus, this really opens up the doors for other developers. They can see (hopefully) the success of mac gaming. Plus the success of the steam distribution on a mac.

Although this is true that the Source engine is not as powerful or pretty as Crysis, the valve engine does see updates. It is not the same as the original Source engine which Half life 2, and Counter strike source run. It has been given a decent upgrade for Half life- Epsiode 2 and the other orange box games.

Does your (short) time at a game store really show any thing? You say while at university, so I assume during the school year. This could be the cause of sales decline.
    But really, did you factor in online sales? If any thing retail game stores are dying, not PC gaming.
    Why go out to a store and buy a game when I can (usually) save a few bucks + the hassle and download it through an online distribution system (like steam).
    You wan't proof? look at hardware sales. Gaming computers sales are rising, video cards are not on any sales decline (The only thing to really max out video cards for regular consumers are games..).

PC Gaming is not going any where. Changing, but not going any where.

If you want proof, just type in google there are many articles and sales figures.

16. Theappmachine macrumors member

Theappmachine

17. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Have you seen sales of CoD MW2? Console game sales are vastly outnumbering PC sales.

This site has estimated PC sales on day one... http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/12/15/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-sales-on-pc-disappointing/
    About 240k copies...

Wikipedia has the console sales in the first 24hrs... About 4.7 MILLION.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Warfare_2#Sales_and_Revenue

I don't think it's dying. But your stats don't really mean much. There are more and more people getting into gaming as of late. Younger generations becoming old enough. Older generations trying their luck. It's more acceptable now. So while gaming computer sales are rising... Console sales are soaring.

What I'd draw from this is that PC gaming isn't going anywhere. Console gaming has been getting most of the attention of developers lately though. Hopefully StarCraft II, Diablo III, and Steam for Mac will bring a bit more focus back to the Keyboard and Mouse. :)

18. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I agree that console gaming is taking the lead. My point was mainly that PC Games are not going any where. PC gaming has (almost) always had a smaller community.