Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeasar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Norn Iron
€100 cheaper if you buy it locked, which Im happy enough to do the unlocking back home.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Wow, €709 = 1,121.89 USD.

That's some serious layout for an "unlocked" phone. I do wonder if it would be as simple as inserting a SIM for it to work here, or if the phone somehow blocks AT&T (or other non-French or non-European) network access?

psendeavor

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2005
Wow, €709 = 1,121.89 USD.

That's some serious layout for an "unlocked" phone. I do wonder if it would be as simple as inserting a SIM for it to work here, or if the phone somehow blocks AT&T (or other non-French or non-European) network access?
Yes, at least as it is as 'unlocked' as the Belgian iPhone (615€, works out of the box with all three major Belgian providers, and apparently with providers in other European countries as well).

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
I am surprised we have not heard any reports of people trying these unlocked foreign phones with US providers yet. Although it should certainly work the skeptic in me wonders if they have done something to cripple them. With all the hubbub about trying to unlock the 3G it seems an easier route would be to just get one from Europe, that way you have an official phone with no hacks and can then install new firmware updates as needed without worrying about the potential for it getting locked again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.