So Why Did You Leave (Or Stay With) Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tech-Minded, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Tech-Minded macrumors regular

Was using Safari for a long time until I became fed up with one problem: after I booted up and logged into my computer, almost every time I would immediately launch Safari. But it would take five minutes to open and load the first web page (computer, not internet problem). Finally switched to Firefox. Now really happy, opens and loads in seconds.

May try Safari 5.

2. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

For me Safari loads fastest.
    Firefox - my workhorse of choice - takes the longest :rolleyes:
    (Though it's me - my work tools weigh it down :eek:)

Yet I might start using Safari more or less again, only because of the Reader (if Only they would do it like full screen in Preview - no panels, hidden menubar, etc)

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i stayed with Safari as its fast (might not be the fastest), launches very quickly and integrates with the OS very well i.e. Mail, Spotlight, dictionary bezel, spelling & substitutions, plus has the best 'Mac' feel (obviously). Safari is also now up to par with Chrome in HTML5 compatibility.

love the extensions in Safari now have native adblock with EasyList and post to Tweetie & Facebook. Chrome is a great browser and is currently my number 2, love the top tabs and automatic translation of webpages, but i feel it doesnt integrate with the OS as well as Safari. i really like the WebKit engine in both, which originated in Safari, feels so lightweight yet robust.

4. Sargiel macrumors member

I use Safari 99.9% of the the and am very happy with it's performance and features. If I need to try something with another browser I have Camino installed as a backup.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've stayed with Safari because its been the most stable for me. i would be using Chrome full time if it wasnt buggy and the interface was a bit easier on the eyes, at least its not as ugly as firefox. (UI is obviously just my personal taste).

6. Lord Vader macrumors 6502a

Lord Vader

Safari was already installed on my Mac when I bought it. I gave it a chance and now I can't see how I would be using different browser.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I like Safari because it is fast, multi touch gestures, and not crowded.

8. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Staying with Safari because
    * Reader feature
    * cmd+shift+L in other applications

9. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

syncs bookmarks with my phone....
    love the coverflow feature when browsing history...
    damn good integrated debugger (development)
    Lastly...I don't mind if Chrome loads pages a few milli seconds faster than Safari...I am gonna waste those saved milli seconds anyway...:p

10. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

I am using Firefox cos I am getting the beach ball very often with sarafi and honestly I can't find any reason to stop using FF. I am also using FF in windows and ubuntu and Firefox sync makes my life easier.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

That is probably an issue specific to your particular installation. It might be worth your while to determine why that delay is happening - I don't believe it's an issue shared by others.

To answer your question - I've always just stuck with Safari. Even if it's not always the fastest (on paper) it's plenty fast for me. I figure I will waste more time installing a new browser, configuring it, learning new keyboard shortcuts, and figuring out what it's features are, than the milliseconds another browser may or may not save me loading pages.

I have FireFox installed, sometimes even an up to date version, for those rare occasions when a website won't work with Safari (like the new Virgin Mobile website in Canada). Though I'm going to insist that Virigin Mobile discount my monthly fee until they fix their website since I can't do anything on their new website. I feel (strongly) that their "upgrade" has caused a regression in service for me since I now can not use a browser that worked before.

12. celticpride678

Safari crashed way to often for me, especially with 5 different tabs open at once, all trying to load different webpages.

Not the case with Chrome and have been using it basically ever since.

13. Tech-Minded thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting theory, I could try reinstalling it, but I've never changed the location of the application. I've just updated it regularly from the way it came preinstalled on my computer (HD->Applications->Safari). After the initial launching and home page loading, Safari would run fine and fast.

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

Try looking at HD>Library>InputManagers

Temporarily move that folder to your desktop, and reboot your system (you don't actually need to reboot the system, just restart Safari, when you move this folder, but you said your issue seems to be apparent after rebooting). If this solves the Safari problem, put the folder back and move the contents to the desktop. Then start moving the contents back and test to see which one causes the issue.

I'm just guessing, but you might try the same thing HD>Library>Internet Plugins. I don't think that will cause any lasting problems.... but make sure you have a back up just in case.

If those two aren't the problem, check over at the Apple Support Forums. They are very good there - do a search first. You are not likely the first to have this problem.

15. likeavaliant macrumors regular

I use Chrome. I like the way it handles tabs and tab closing better than Safari or Firefox. It's also customizable, quick, and integrates just fine into my operating system.

I also use Firefox and Safari at times. I don't let just one browser control my internet.

16. MecPro macrumors 6502

I am using Safari as my machine was getting too bogged down with 3rd party apps.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That doesn't even make sense. Machines don't get bogged down with 3rd party apps anymore than they do with first party.

18. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I use Safari because it displays Flash content better than Firefox and Chrome.
    Otherwise, I like the developer tools in Firefox better.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

it displays Flash in the exact same way as Firefox, and I'm sure it's not too different from Chrome (Chrome just has the plugin built in).

20. calb macrumors 6502

Quite frankly, it's the browser which behaves like I'd expect from an application on OS X. Sure I've known it to hang on me, but it's the lesser of the evils.

Chrome is ugly and doesn't handle RSS feeds like I want. Firefox is just very heavy. Opera doesn't have 1Password support. Simples.

21. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I loved Safari for it's speed, simplicity and because it was the default browser. Now that I have extensions, it is even better because now I can actually use Google Reader and make it feel like an Apple application.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly. i wish the Mozilla group would have helped push Camino over FireFox, as it is what Firefox should have been, a native Mac OS X browser from the ground up.

23. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

i tried out safari but i do not like it at all. i much prefer firefox, it is the fastest for me. safari crashes on me and loads web-pages very slowly for me. google chrome is okay but i hate the interface.

24. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I use Firefox, because it can do everything I want, the way I want. Safari can do everything I want, but not in the way I want. The same goes for Google Chrome.

25. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Safari works for every web site I go to (except one, and that's in the process of changing to Safari friendly).
    I couldn't get along without Top Sites these days!