So why doesn't the finger of death work on the top antenna seam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CashDude, Jul 17, 2010.

1. CashDude macrumors regular

I know the bottom right "seam" is not actually one; it's just there for looks. However the top seam connects the two antennas, just like the bottom left "death grip" seam.

Why doesn't the problem occur when I bridge the antennas at the top seam? I don't lose any bars at all, but when I touch the bottom one, I go all the way to no service.

Also, is it true that the FCC makes manufacturers put the antennas at the bottom of phones, or is that just a myth created by Apple haters?

It seems to me that if Apple could slightly modify the logic board and/or antenna connections to make the "death grip" occur at the top seam, rather than the bottom, then this problem could be fixed.

No one touches the top of the phone while holding it.

No fanboy comments. No Apple bashing. Keep it mature in here.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The right antennae is just for looks? Proof?
    Whenever I touch the top antennae in landscape it shuts off wifi.

3. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

From what (little) I understand, the placement of the antenna is basically dictated by the setup (ei: dummy head with sensor inside it, phone stuck to ear, make calls) of the FCC radiation tests. It's not that it is required to be at the bottom or sides, just that it will be easier to pass their test if you do.

4. CashDude thread starter macrumors regular

One antenna goes from the death grip seam, up to the headphone jack. The other one goes from the death grip seam, through the dock connector, all the way up the right side, and to above the front camera. I thought everyone knew this.

I'm not aware of any death grip phones having problems with wi-fi, only 3G and cellular service. Yours may be defective.

5. Blaenk macrumors member

The sideband isn't all one antenna...

The sideband consists of various antennas: 3g, wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc. Most are separated using the seams, though the seam on the right is just for looks, to keep it symmetrical. Just google and look for an image of the antenna, during the wwdc, jobs showed a slide with the antenna and the various parts of it and what part was for what. The one on the left is for 3g which is why when you do that, it screws with the signal.

6. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

The one on the right is not just for looks. That's the Wifi antenna. :apple:

7. Matthew. macrumors regular

Not true, the surrounding metal band forms the antennas, and the black lines separate these antennas. You can see in the photo below that the top and left side lines separate the two antennas, and that the right side line doesn't appear to serve any function.

[​IMG]

8. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

+1 on this. I had the wifi issue as well as weak reception both wifi and cellular. I received a replacement 2 days ago and Wifi is great now and I have to admit, cellular is better, much better. I think I just got a bad one period.

Had I received this one on launch day, I would be one of the guys here asking what is everyone complaining about.

troutspinner