So why or why not do you think the ipad 3 could come as early as fall

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Thekolton, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Thekolton macrumors newbie

So in this post just post your opinion about why or why not you think the ipad 3 could come as early as this fall:apple:

2. anonymous6237, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011

anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

[​IMG]

3. PCClone macrumors 6502a

My opinion is this thread should be closed by the mods.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

2011: 2011 is the year of iPad 2. -Steve Jobs-

I don't know. Does it say iPad 3 on there?

5. yegon macrumors 68020

As much as it flies against the whole point of MacRumors, this rumour needs to be killed off.

Completely.

Utterly.

6. Coukos34, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011

Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Lol, awesome post. Seriously though, I'm sock of hearing this crap. Mods please close this thread...please

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple just spent a lot of $$ redesigning the iPad. I doubt very much that they would replace it 6 months later.

8. Thekolton thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont think it will just because i dont see apple releasing so soon but the rumor was there so just wonted to see everyones opinion :)

9. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Apart from a retina display I don't know what Apple could really add:

Redesign - check
    dual core - check
    new GPU - check
    thinner - check
    more ram - pending
    gyroscope - check
    cameras - check

I guess multi core ARM chips could become available and maybe even the PowerVR series 6 technology, but I'm guessing these enhancements will accompany the new display.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The only weird thing is that the current iPad schedule is very bad for the holiday season. There are a lot of people who got iPads at Christmas and are now watching the new one come out two months later. If they keep this up enough people will probably catch on and hold off during the holiday season which is an important sales time for Apple.

Putting out *some* kind of new version in September would ensure that holiday sales remain high. Even if it's an iPad Pro or the available in more colors or something like that. Maybe a retina screen with no other spec bumps, then a spec bump at the normal time?

Even though a fall refresh seems really unlikely now, you can't deny the fact that a September release schedule might be a better option for Apple than the current one.

11. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Normally I'd say no chance for a fall release. The one possible reason is the double resolution display. This has a strong time value. If it comes out in 2013 it's catching up to the competition. If it comes out in 2012 it is pretty cool. If it comes out this year it completely nukes the competition. I have no idea what Apple will do, just pointing out that there could be strong motivation for this one feature to come out as soon as possible.

They don't have to call it iPad 3. It could be called iPad 2 Pro, or iPad 2 Plus. It would be exactly like iPad 2 but with the double resolution screen and sell for a premium of several hundred dollars.

For people who are OK with the current resolution they can save money and buy the iPad 2. For anyone in the sciences, engineering, medicine or related disciplines the Pro version will be a must have item.

12. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

It won't happen because this whole rumour is based on nothing. It started with a post from John Gruber who expressed his opinion that it would make sense for Apple to align the iPad schedule for Autumn releases to strengthen the holiday quarter. However, he took great strides to inform people that this was just a personal opinion, and that it was not based on rumours, or whispers or inside information.

Then, some guy at Techcrunch read his posts and said "Uh, yeah ... me, too! I heard that!" That was all it took.

Think about how many rumours based on supposed sources come true each year. Very few. So how many do you think come true based on one man's thought that this would be a good idea. None!

When Apple said this was the year of iPad 2, I think they meant to squash this rumour indirectly.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

Attached Files:

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I doubt that we'd see a new iPad in September.

The only exception might be a memory bump.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

There have been so many threads about this already. Apple isnt going to do 2 iPads in one year.

16. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Because Apple doesn't do 6 month product cycles.

17. omyard macrumors regular

Everyone said the iPad 2 was coming in time for Christmas last year for this very reason. Yet here we are in March and unless people now celebrate Christmas in March the iPad 2 missed the Christmas window.

18. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Apple would not do this, because they would lose credibility to their own customers.

Apple didn't refresh iPad hardware for Christmas, but they rev'd iOS to 4.2 to make it (in many ways) a completely new device.

19. sgood7401 macrumors newbie

sgood7401

why post this?

This person should be kicked off macrumors. Who cares?