So why the heck are people still so obsessed with people being gay?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, May 16, 2012.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

At 44 years of age, I could honestly care less who is gay or not, I have a boss that is a lesbian, Ive worked with other co-workers that are gay, and I've hung out with some of those gay co-workers outside of work. Being around homosexuals has never really bothered me (unless they are militant, but I dislike being around anyone who is militant about anything).

What I am having trouble wrapping my head around is why the heck everyone else is so concerned about who is gay, to the point that they obsess over it, I've also noticed that more often than not it is women who seem to obsess over this.

Case in point...A recent hire at work has some fairly effeminate mannerisms, and many of the women I work with have a running bet that he is gay...pointing out his style of dress as evidence, and I think one of them is actually pointing to the fact that she tried hooking him up with one of her friends and he declined the invitation as further evidence that he's gay...

Keep in mind these are all professionally employed, college educated people (some with graduate degrees), age ranges from 25-38.

Why do so many spend so much effort on this type of nonsense?

2. hafr macrumors 68030

What you're describing isn't unique when it comes to being gay, it's just your average gossip. Some people are just interested in other peoples' business, that's all.

3. MorphingDragon, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Because a lot of people are shallow and gossip is serious business you know. Put on top of that is that LGBT is still considered abnormal by a lot of people.

I live in a Bubble at University and I still find it incredibly hard and stressful to stand up to people like this. To keep them from trying to use Bisexuality as a way to define me, instead of being a small fragment of me. I hope you went up to those hens and told them to stop being wankers.

Your co-worker may be Metrosexual, which seems to allude a lot of people as a possibility.

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I've stopped caring about these things as long as it's not children or animals. Or dead people (which from a moral standpoint isn't really wrong, it just doensn't seem right in my head).

Learning that someone was gay has never affected my perception of them.

Yes, we crazy Europeans. However, I'm glad this is changing in the US for every year. I think Obama's recent move on the issue will get the ball rolling now.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

In what way are they using bisexuality to define you?

I do that sometimes, but when I say gay Jake, I mean it in the same way as when I say welsh Dave. It's just a way to separate that person from another person with the same name.

6. Happybunny, May 16, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

As being Gay was legal since 1811 here.

It has ceased to be an issue here, gays have full rights here, marriage was granted in 2001.

I am a heterosexual, but I've never in all my 64 years had any problems with any one else's sex life.

Again us crazy Europeans.

7. hafr macrumors 68030

But there is still office gossip if someone might be homosexual even in the Netherlands though, which is what he was talking about.

8. MorphingDragon, May 16, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

That is not what I mean.

What I do mean, is when you try to generalize everything about Dave and Jake according to these aspects of their life and try shoehorn them into pop culture stereotypes. Do you call Jake a Flaming Queen and then when he's behaving "Normally" say he's in denial and just acting straight? Do you call Dave a boring Presbyterian and when he does something outgoing say he's just rebelling against his faith? That is using an aspect of some-ones life as a way to define them.

That is what this type of Gossip does, and it quickly devolves into a form of passive bullying. It should not be tolerated by anyone. I had a running bet against my sexuality before, and as much as I tried to convince myself otherwise it ****ing hurt.

9. hafr macrumors 68030

Ah. No, I don't. Mainly because I'm not retarded, which you would have to be to act that way.

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Exactly, I don't know why some gay people insist on talking about their sexual orientation all the time. I simply do not care.

11. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

While I do agree some people can be on the annoying side, they may be talking about their sexuality so actively because they're trying to come to terms with something in their mind. Try indulging them in their conversation and you may find out something you never knew about them before.

However I will say only do this for friends, family and people you interact with regularly though.

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I. Just. Don't. Care.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

"Couldn't care less"

I think that some people inherently are obsessed with things they can't control and/or don't understand. Whether it's sexual orientation, a way of life you live, the person you choose to love, etc. I think it is human nature but the problem here is not just that people are obsessed so much as how often publicized that obsession really is. Bottom line is there is a great number of people who don't care and don't find any reason to show support for or against. Unfortunately, that number doesn't seem to outweigh the bible thumping crutch leaning church goers who have decided that one thing is right or wrong based on teachings.

As for me, I don't care. It's not my style of living but if I were into lady bits more than man meat I would love not to be judged negatively for that.

14. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Look. I. Can. Use. Lots. Of. Periods. Too. It. Really. Doesn't. Help. As. Much. As. You. Might. Think.

I don't care about one's sexuality either. But the funny thing about dealing with other human beings is that stuff that might not matter to you at all might be the only thing occupying the other persons mind for whatever reason.

You deserve a cake or a sugary treat of your choice.

15. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I'm not a psychologist. Go talk to someone else. When I have something on my mind and I talk to someone about it, "I don't really care" is an acceptable response. I will go bother someone else with it and not hold any grudges.

16. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

That is however your personality. But you are also a friend, a work mate, an acquaintance, a family member... The world is not populated by mental clones of you. People will want to talk to about about things, you won't always be able to avoid it.

Now in typical fashion of me we're now technically off topic.

17. hafr macrumors 68030

Not really, this is very much on topic. It's a perfect reply to the question being posed in the OP: because people want to talk about things :)

18. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

KnightWRX was complaining that Gay people wanted to talk to him about their sexuality. Reread the OP.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly, I don't know why some straight people insist on talking about their sexual orientation all the time. I simply do not care.

They prattle on about their wives or husbands, who's pregnant, who's getting married next month and on and on. :rolleyes:

Step outside your box for a minute.

20. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

..you can't be serious? When someone mentions their daughter being pregnant you automatically assume their straight? What about the lesbian who is About to have a baby with her girlfriend? (not literally her girlfriends albeit, but whoever donated their sperm). Also gay marriage is legal in six states, so when one mentions marriage, it could be gay or straight marriage.

Just my 0.02.

21. leekohler, May 16, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't assume anything. I'm usually already in the know that said daughter is married to a man. Co-workers always talk about this stuff. When they mention these things they usually make it clear what, and about whom they're talking. Straight people never give this a second thought, but the minute we mention our lives, it's suddenly "flaunting our lifestyle" or some other nonsense.

22. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Sarcasm seems to allude you. He'd make a good Kiwi, being a smart alec in an argument.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I even threw the rolly eyes in there. :)

24. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Needs to be more obvious:
    [​IMG]

25. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

No offense to anyone, but homosexuals tend to push their sexual orientation more so than others.