So will Apple ever offer us the full web in a tablet device like the others do?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ApplesAOranges, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

And yes, I´m talking about the infamous "F word". :)

It seems that all the other tablets are starting to offer the full web experience. F is now much better and efficient and looks like it´s never going away, at least for a very long time. The hardware is also much more powerful now.

Will Apple swallow their pride? Ever? iPad 2? Maybe 3?

Or do we who would like a full web in a tablet device have to start looking elsewhere? Or maybe just get a MBA then?

2. 0815 macrumors 68000

Has nothing to do with pride. F is a piece of S.

Look at the test that were done on the Air - Adobe admitted problems and did some minor fixes to save their A** - but bottom line is: F still stinks.

And honestly: I didn't miss it a single day an any of my iOS devices (and it is blocked on my iMac)

3. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Steve will never back down on Flash, I've seen how badly it performs on my friends MBP, my old laptop had near identical specs to his and the same flash video that used about 9% of my processor consumed about 80% of his..

If it's that bad on all Macs, and the iOS is based off OS X, it won't work.

4. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Same here, i installed "click to flash" on my iMac and of course it is not on the iPad and so far i do not miss flash.

Not sure what the big deal is about not having it.

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I do start to get annoyed when "This video is not optimised for playback on iPhone/iPad" flashes up for the 15th time in a row on the YouTube app on my iPad, or when a video i want to see is on another video site that still uses flash videos, and I have to get up and fire on the laptop, or try to use the very buggy Skyfire browser.

6. ApplesAOranges thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm... maybe you guys are right... or wrong. :p

I ran many times into many problems when I´m browsing the web with my iPhone 4. It´s quite annoying. And I really wouldn´t like to have that kind of experience on a 10" tablet device. Now don´t get me wrong, I think it´s ok for the iPhone, after all it´s 3,5" and goes to my pocket... :) But for a 10" tablet.... I don´t know...

The MBA is also tempting, but touch interface is just cool! :D

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Well TBH i do most of my YouTube watching through our AppleTV. I have not ran into that issue on there. Might just be the types of stuff i am looking at.

8. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Apple is convinced that Flash is a dead format... Just like Blu-Ray (even Sony is abandoning the format now!)

Flash had an extremely successful run of more then 10 years! It was the most popular cross-platform plugin thanks to all those animations and games way back in the day, everybody knew; install flash and you get games, music and video! It became the standard organically because it was the best for a long time.

The truth is; we can do SO much better now and Apple isn't wasting their time (or battery life) on a processor intensive, archaic technology when so much progress has been made. Their highly popular mobile devices have encouraged many of the popular sites and services to move on as well.

I do a LOT of surfing on my iPhone 4 and while coming across a Flash video used to be common and frustrating... now I'm having trouble thinking of the last time I couldn't see something I wanted to.

9. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Really? That just seems so unlikely to me, they fought so hard to make it win the format wars, and Blu-Rays starting to really pickup, why would they abandon the format they pushed onto their PS3?

I'm sorry but can you provide any sources for this? Its just like hearing Apple is abandoning digital downlads.

10. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

What is your source on this?

11. 0815 macrumors 68000

are Android's able to play back real media format?

Flash for video is so pointless.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I have a PC and I love Flash :)

Over the entire history of owning PC's both purchased and my own assembly from chosen parts, I have never had and problems with Flash.

It was not till around a year ago, when I started reading Mac Forums about the new Apple tablet that was coming that I even knew anyone on the planet had any issue with Flash whatsoever.

I saw it used everywhere, enjoyed the richness it brought to old boring static web sites and assumed everyone on any machine was enjoying it also.

I even tried Ubuntu a few years back and Flash played back fine on that.

It was, and is a non issue for me, and I gues for tens of millions of other people. You have a new machine, you go to a Flash website for the 1st time on your new machine, you click a button to download and install Flash, which you do and you never even think about it every again.

It just works.

I expect there are tens of millions of people out there who are like what I was like a year ago, and don't even know what the problem is, as for most people with computers there just is no problem.

As for power soaking. I have played back 1080p video from YouTube in the new format and also the exact same 1080p clip in, what Mac users sadly say is horrid flash, and the Flash version used considerably less CPU power to play back than the HTML5 version of the same video.

So, for me. how can I say anything other than, in my experience on all my machines I love Flash, as there is nothing else I can say.

If Apple had worked closely with Adobe from Day 1, instead of having childish battles with them. I'm sure the excellent Apple and Adobe programmers could of made Flash run even better on a Mac than it does on a PC.

The whole this is like watching a bunch of children and is sad. :(
    It's only the consumers that suffer in the end.

13. 0815 macrumors 68000

I should also mention that IE on my Vista box in the office kept crashing by just browsing the web. I uninstalled flash and all was good ever since (maybe some not related, but probably yes).

Flash had it's time, had it's need, had it's purpose - but the world has moved on the Adobe didn't keep up.

14. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

No suffering here, just as happy without it as you are with it.

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The problem is, for us Mac users, it just doesn't work. Adobe has had years to correct the issue, and all we have gotten is one version after another that doesn't work.

What would leave anyone to believe Flash would be any more stable on iOS?

I've had enough of Flash crashing Safari on my Mac, I certainly don't need it crashing on my iPhone or iPad.

16. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Im in the same position, my Mac friend always bitches about how Flash is done, and it's dead and the Internet needs to move on for Apple. To which i reply why should 95% of the computer Market change a perfectly fine working technology, because it runs lousy on 5% of the Market thanks to Steve not working with Adobe. HTML isn't even ready yet. Nowhere near, its not an agreed standard yet. My processor actually works a little harder on apples HTML video playback then the same trailer in 1080p flash. The only advantage I can think is that Flash can be a security hole.

17. 1969cj5 macrumors member

It seems the longer the iPad goes without flash the less I miss it. More and more the web it becoming "optimized for iPad"

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I guess you only mean video clips in this respect.

Which was not what Flash was really for in the 1st place, it just happened to also do video.

19. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Apple won't put flash on the iPad because:

- Flash games can be optimised for touch, and it'll compete with the app store.
    - Free online moves, (no, not the "T word" but streaming video sites, that "allow" moves to be uploaded to them.) Compete with iTunes.
    - Flash has access to your microphone, cameras and other stuff.

It's the same reason that Apple doesn't allow things to be download from Safari: "ipa" files, "mp3" files, "mp4" files etc.

20. russ99 macrumors member

I think everyone's losing sight of the original issue here.

Apple wanted a Flash player created for their OS.

Flash wanted the same buggy PC-based code on all devices, whether it ran well or not.

This really wasn't about something Steve wants or doesn't want to allow or some kind of attempt to stifle competition, it's about software that runs well on Apple hardware, as Apple has always thought an important part of what they do.

I'm hoping that Adobe realizes that Flash will eventually go the way of things like RealPlayer and create Flash-like tools to create rich media in HTML5 that will work the same on all platforms, and stop forcing 15 year old PC browser plug-in code on all of us.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't see Apple changing their minds about Flash.

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Regarding this, I just think that's Apple drip-feeding us features, so they can say that they're adding it, to get an ovation down the line.
    There's plenty of browser apps in the App Store that allow file downloads and an app called Filer, even allows .rar file usage.

23. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

^this.

Flash threatens Apple's ability to skim profits from everything served on an i-device. Even if (when) it runs more efficiently than HTML Canvas and JavaScript, they will still try to marginalize it (because that serves their bottom line)

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Flash you.

I guess Flash threads beat Verizon iPhone threads. :rolleyes:

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I use mainly Windows, and while I have no problems with flash being used to play videos or show some interactive graphics, I've always hated websites that use flash for navigation. You know, the ones where you enter the website, you stare at the "loading" circle for 30 seconds while all the flash elements load, and then you get to look at fancy pictures and navigation menus with fancy special effects but with fonts that are too small to read, often with dark text on dark background... and you can't change any of that, because it is all hard-coded into flash.

So if Apple's anti-flash stance helps get rid of such websites, I'm rooting for Apple.