iPhone X So Xr’s screen is only 720p...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by questionmark, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Starship67, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

I seriously can’t understand why you care. It’s not your money nor your choice. Unless there is a hidden agenda here which I highly assume there is.

2. sean000 macrumors 65832

sean000

This reminds me of the arguments over megapixels and sensor size in camera forums. :rolleyes:
    Sure there are differences and sure they can matter to some people sometimes, but are you going to consider only a single feature spec in your purchasing decision?

3. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Sure and now you have iPhones with 2 cameras 3 (soon) with 12 megapixels.
    I thought 8 was enough? Who needs more cameras and megapixels anyway the iPhone still has the best smartphone camera, not. :rolleyes:

4. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Since I can't tell the difference, why would I buy the $200 bottle?

We are talking about phones, hypothetically
    Phone A has a super duper screen at $1500
    Phone B has a good screen but not super duper at $1000

I need a phone
    I can't tell the difference in the screens
    I will buy the $1000 phone
    I don't really have an option of not buying a phone

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. milover macrumors member

But in real life you bought the iphone x which has basically the worse camera within 2017-2018 phones but it is the most expensive one. You totally understand how to buy a $200 wine with $8 quality, good job. Of course you can tell me the apple logo on a wine bottle worth $192.

6. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I bought the X because of the size, not the camera or the screen because I could tell the difference in the size

I guess I would reframe the question as, why would I spend the extra money on a Xs or Xs max when I can't tell the difference in the screen?

7. milover macrumors member

Why not just buy Redmi then? There is almost any size with around 1/10 price of X. Told you that you like to buy $8 wine with $200 price.

8. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

LOL, because I like iOS and the iPhone and so I choose to limit myself to their choices
    I like their design, style, functionality and it works with my Mac, etc.

To be honest though, I didn't upgrade because I couldn't justify paying for any of the new iPhones and was happy with what I had

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Set aside forum members who have knowledge on display resolution, do you honestly think the average consumer cares about 720 P resolution on a smart phone? Or the fact they don’t don’t even know what 720
    P is?

10. milover macrumors member

First you said only the size, now you have tons of other reasons...LOL X was the $200 wine for 2017-2018 year for sure and that is what you bought lol. It has the $8 wine quality enjoy it.

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

The camera, the camera, OMG the camera!!!

I'm so damn tired of hearing about the camera!

Not all of us need a bazillion MP camera and a 500" 8K TV squeezed into a tiny display!

Here's one of the last pics I took with MY camera. Taken so my wife could decide if I should bring it home or not.

2018-12-27 16.50.46.jpg

Now why do I NEED 720p when 90% of my camera roll is pictures like this?

12. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

All of the reasons I listed apply to all iPhones, not just the X

You are really trying to win an argument and you are doing a very poor job of it
    You are welcome to your opinion(s) but they don't apply to everyone
    Actually they don't even apply to most people

13. milover macrumors member

Stock price is a fair answer for what people vote for.
    52 weeks high $233.47
    now $152.29
    you tell me most people like iphone and believe it has good future? LOL
    Apple just decided to give big discount for iphone in China just because they have no choice, that is the only way to stop bleeding.
    What happen to a high price brand finally need to have price cut to stop bleeding? It would collapse.

14. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

We are talking about screen 6" and less. Sure you can probably spot differences but ultimately it's not gonna be a huge difference from 720p to even a 4k screen on such a small display. Apple makes a marvelous 720p screen.

15. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Nice try changing the conversation to stock price (which has nothing to do with your original question)
    Why bother even asking a question?
    Why not just state how you feel about Apple and be done with it?

16. Relentless Power, Jan 12, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Just naturally curious, why are you so driven on being negative towards the iPhone overall? (And now you’re bringing Apples stock into the thread, which is unrelated) Does that detract away from the popularity you think ‘720 P’ is a massive misstep By Apple? Really, think about it for a minute, no one really complains about a 720 P display, why? Because Apples displays are vibrant and colorful enough, where the consumer focuses on other things like Face ID, the TrueDepth Camera, etc.

17. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

I’m still struggling to see the point of this post.

18. se95dah macrumors member

se95dah

Agreed. For someone so conscious of resolution, the OPs argument looks very low-definition to me

19. BugeyeSTI, Jan 12, 2019

BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

If you call a big discount $50 then ok... You should change your username to Milhouse it suits you better.

20. milover macrumors member

Why hide your own fault for buying $200 wine with $8 quality?

21. King_SC macrumors newbie

22. littlemidge macrumors member

littlemidge

I dunno what phone the OP is using... but my Xs screen is the best screen in a phone I’ve ever had to date. :)

23. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

8 is enough. 12 is a little bit better, but it’s the least of the reasons why newer cameras are better. Basically, they increased it because the sensors got better, so why not. Also, because the market is obsessed with numbers. But in reality, if you could change the camera on an iPhone that had 8mp to 12, and change the current ones to 8 - the current ones would still be better.

Same with the screen. Sure, a 1080p screen is a little bit better than a 720p one on a phone, but at the end of the day, it’s not a big deal. There are much more important aspects of a screen: mainly contrast, but also color accuracy, wide color, True Tone, etc.

24. revmacian macrumors 6502

revmacian

The point of the thread is to show people how to use an agenda to entice others into a debate.

25. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Why not have a 240p screen with Color accuracy, true tone, great contrast and wide color? What? It's not a big deal...