iPhone X So Xr’s screen is only 720p...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by questionmark, Sep 12, 2018.

1. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Do you really think that screen is 2009 tech just because of the resolution? I’m sorry, then you don’t understand advancements in screen tech.

2. JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

The screen isn't 720p anyway so this whole thread seems be based on fake news. :)

3. agente46 macrumors regular

I’m still using my 2009 Panasonic 720p plasma tv in my living room... and I bet you can’t even tell it’s from 2009 or that it’s 720p

4. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

However, when I put my XR(which I had for 2 weeks) and Huawei P20 which has 1080P display, Huawei’a 1080P is instantly better. Text does looks better. 720P display is a joke for phone that cost 750 dollars.

I remotely care about this TrueTune display. It just made my iPhone XR’s like a yellow mess. And yes, I cannot even watch full 1080P content on that 720P display. I remotely care how much advancement for this iPhone XR display, if it can’t deliver same experience as my 1080P screen. For god’s sake, OnePlus offers 4K OLED display for much lower price. And people are still wondering why iPhone’s sale are down?

--- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    How far away from you 720P TV may I ask and how far are you away from your display. Cellphone screen and TV are not comparable.

5. aevan, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Because a 240p screen is too low. That’s like trying to counter the fact that difference between 8-bit and 10-bit color is not that noticeable to an average users by asking - “what about 256 colors?” Yes, resolution does matter up to a certain pixel density. After that, the benefits are minor.

Or, to use a camera example - a good 10 megapixel camera is better than a bad 12 megapixel camera, but a 2 megapixel camera is just too low either way. Ok?

There are diminishing returns above 300ppi. A good 300ppi screen with high contrast is better than a lower quality one with 400ppi.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    If that Huawei screen is instantly better, it’s better because it has better contrast and colors, not because it has a 1080p screen. I’m not making this up, ask any screen enthusiast, they will tell you that contrast is by far the most important spec of current screens, then maximum brightness and color accuracy.... resolution is way less important past a certain value.

You guys are literally arguing against the accepted opinion of the entire A/V community, video professionls, etc. Why? You don’t have to like iPhone XR. You don’t have to like its screen. But you’re all just wrong about the resolution. It really does mean very little beyond 300ppi.

And this is nothing new, I might add. Spec numbers that mean little in practical terms were the marketing strategy of Android manufacturers because they are easier to compare and understand than things like “accuracy”. This is, after all, the reason why Intel and AMD still insist on Ghz numbers even though they mean much less than thermal efficiency or multithreading in modern processors - they are just easier to understand.

6. JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

What phone are you talking about with a 720p display? It certainly isn't the Xr which has about half million more pixels than 720p. On a tiny screen. It's 828p and closer to 1080p than 720p. And tru tone can be turned off if you don't like it so I don't even know how that's an issue.

7. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

Yes. iPhone XR. It is technically not 720P display. It certainly no 1080P

8. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Then again you are just countering the fact that 240p is too low by saying 720p is high enough.

9. JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

If Apple was somehow able to lie and tell people it was 1080p, all the naysayers would be talking about how great the screen was. Guaranteed.

10. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Technically, I’m countering the 240p thing by saying 300ppi is enough, but yes, you’re correct. That’s what I’m saying. Resolution is important, up to a certain density. After that, there are diminishing returns.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Nobody compared 720 P to 1080 P, so your post is not an accurate representation of anything. It’s 828 P by the way for the XR.

12. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Looks like 2 threads got merged and sorta jumbled things up a bit
    Carry on

13. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

14. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

So why did you get a XR if you're so disappointed with the display?

15. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Sure, if it's enough why improve it? Especially on a gadget that costs up to $1000?
    The XS Max battery lasts a day with moderate usage, if it's enough why make it bigger? Am I right?
    No it it's enough you can clearly see the pixels and if you say you can't then you're in denial trying to justify a sneaky marketing trick to increase profit and reduce cost in the most rich company in the world.

16. purged, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

purged macrumors regular

17. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Bottom line is it's your money. There are so many different choices at different price points, so if 720p isn't enough then get an older one, or a newer one with 1080p. There have been plenty of people here that said you will not notice, while there has also been some that said they noticed. So it's probably on an individual basis. IMO is you're already thinking about specs before you're buying don't even bother with the XR, because you'll never be satisfied and always have that "it's not 1080p" in your subconscious. For the run of the mill people who don't do a lot of video watching, picture taking, editing, the XR is probably just fine.

18. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

Ahhh... the Huawei P20. A good friend of mine has one of these and we spent some time looking/chatting about it. A few things that we noticed:

* Lots of people bang on about the camera but to us the camera over processes every photo. Pictures look like oil paintings.

* It’s unintuitive to navigate. Eg the home button is used for just about everything. You never know where you are.

* Hideous lag, especially on web pages.

* Terrible inconsistencies with font and menu sizes. Some think iOS has gone downhill in these areas. Wait until you see this.

* The screen is oversaturated. Nice resolution but it looks cartoonish.

Of course these were just our observations. but yeah, the screen has good resolution and the phone is shiny shiny.

19. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

I can agree with some of your points until... "* It’s unintuitive to navigate. Eg the home button is used for just about everything. You never know where you are."
    iPhone home button? Hello?

20. sean000 macrumors 65832

sean000

The iPhone X was not the worst camera in 2017-2018 phones, and technically the Pixel2 was only slightly better for some types of photos (mostly HDR). In fact, the optical tele on the X made it better than the Pixel for telephoto shots. I take DXOMark with a grain of salt, but they rated the X a 97 for photo quality and the Pixel 2 a 98 (the Note 8 was 94). In the end it’s a bit of a wash though, because a smartphone is more than just a camera or just a display. If you really want photo quality that is significantly better, buy into a dedicated camera system. The price of entry is even less than the iPhone XR. Or buy and Android phone if you want a higher resolution display. Most people who buy iPhones would much rather have an iPhone, and they wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in display resolution or photo quality between most late model smartphones. Sure you can buy an iPhone and be bitter that Apple doesn’t give you more on the specs that are important to you for your money, but that’s kind of always been Apple’s way. You can vote with your pocketbook about whether or not their devices are greater than the sum of their parts and worth the price.

21. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

Sorry, my bad. I meant the fingerprint reader that kind of acts as a home button.

22. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

To be fair you get so much more initially at a really competitive price point. A college aged person, whose working a job making 15 an hour is going to be more inclined to get the 500 dollar Android one, vs the 750 dollar XR. Amazing that Huawei can still have a profit return on something like that, which means if Apple want's to remain competitive perhaps they should lower their prices a little.

23. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

I agree. Was trying to point out that just because the screen resolution is higher doesn’t make it a better phone for everyone. The P20 would annoy the hell out of me, but it’s good for others. It depends on what you are after. Having a choice is a good thing.

24. JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

Nah, at some point they'd probably start whining that it wasn't 2k or 4k and 1080p would suddenly be 'blurry'.:)

25. cnev3 macrumors 6502

This guy does an excellent job at discussing the XR and the screen, but it may be a little too technical for some. It describes how the display is better in ways more than just resolution and pixel density.