So. You wanna ban assault rifles eh?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Sep 4, 2012.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

Stats:

Handguns 6,009
    Knives or cutting instruments 1,704
    Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.) 745
    Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.) 540
    Rifles 358
    Shotguns 373
    Other guns 96

So there is often a perception of the assault rifle (civilian version, obviously) as a super scary deadly weapon that is responsible for many murders.

But the reality, is that assault rifles, comparatively, are rarely used in murder.

Also, take note of the category rifle, which includes all rifles, not just assault rifles. So the # of assault rifles used in murder is probably much less, but is definitely less.

More people are murdered by fists and blunt objects than rifles, including assault rifles.

So, why does the assault rifle receive such negative attention and rally cries for banishment?

Ignorance and portrayal in movies. It's that simple.

2. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Nah, now I just want to ban handguns.

(EDIT: that was mostly a joke. I'm pretty on-the-fence about gun control.)

3. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

I'm hoping to keep the discussion limited to assault rifles. If we talk about all guns then it just turns into the same crap over and over again whereas the goal of this thread is to enlighten individuals about the reality of assault weapons.

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Assault Rifles are pretty hard to move around in public.

People go crazy enough as it is if your Umbrella looks like a sword.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would be curious to see what the numbers are for massacre style killings and what weapons are most used. I would bet the crime of passion murders that are most common are not assault weapons. But the murders that make the biggest splash in the news are.

6. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Yeah I don't know where to find those. I'm sure they do exist somewhere.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I was about to say, it's a lot harder to sneak up on someone with an assault rifle than with your fists... not that I have any experience doing it

I think there might be some truth behind the action films' use of weapon for everything scary and violent. However, I think the name for the weapons, ASSAULT rifle, has a lot to do with that vision as well. There is definitely a public perception of the weapon as a scary one.

Maybe if they just changed the name less deaths than fists rifle then people would get over it. :D

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I would think the biggest bang for the buck (pun very much intended) wouldn't be a gun at all - it would be a bomb.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ya. I know. Counting deaths by weapon and only using "since 2010" is kind of stupid if you look at the whole picture.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Aye agree.. using these sort of numbers as justification for having a type of weapon is daft.

14. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

No because we're only talking about murders and banning assault rifles. Nuclear weapons and such are outside the scope of the discussion and isn't really meaningful. Private citizens can't own nuclear weapons anyway.

There are stats from other years as well.

----------

Well it's not being used as a justification for having a type of weapon. It's to point out that just because a weapon "looks scary (eeeek1!!1!)" doesn't mean anything.

More people are killed by hammers and crap than assault rifles.

15. elistan macrumors 6502a

I don't know if I'd necesarily agree with the ignorance and movies bit, but I would have answered it's because of the same reason why plane crashes get so much more attention than the numerous each day automobile wrecks and fatalities.

16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Umm, no joke.

Gunbrella Man!

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't think its that simple. There are other factors. Don't forget people's emotions: when they hear about one guy killing another guy with a handgun; its a tragedy and a crime but really, it happens. If it was during a robbery or a crime of passion, they can easily say there were always be those things and there is nothing we can really do about it. And if I live in a safe neighborhood, this will never happen to me. But they hear about a dozen people being shot at once and they get crazy. How is anyone safe? I go to the movies, this can happen to me! If only they didn't have such a lethal weapon! Etc etc.

18. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Right, which plays into the ignorance and media portrayal. A once in a million thing happens, then there are call to arms to ban a weapon that kills less people than hammers! haha

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Read too quickly and thought you wrote "hamsters".

20. q64ceo macrumors regular

People want to blame something when someone does something crazy, not understanding that crazy people do crazy things because they are crazy. No terrorist used a gun on 9/11; it was all a bunch of box cutters that they used to take over the planes. The problem is is that people are always looking to blame instead of looking to find the underlying problems. By banning firearms all you really are doing is ****ing over every law-abiding citizen to attempt to resolve a problem that is no way related to gun ownership.

The largest attacks by far on civilian populations are by men like Timothy McVeigh, the OK City bomber. He killed 150+ with a truckbomb. Sideshow Bob with his Batman shooting could only wish to get numbers as high as that.

21. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Yea Side Show Bob (Bat boy) used the most incorrect weapon he could find i.e. the scariest. If Bat boy had actually wanted to kill all the folks in the movie theater would have used something with more penetrating power and less terrifying. Scared people hide making it hard to kill them unafraid people go on the offensive therefore easier to kill because they're exposed. I think bat boy's intent was to make a splash, which he did well.

22. .Andy, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is there anyone in particular this thread is directed towards or is it just a rehash of what is covered in the multiple gun threads lately?

edit: And 1 needless death is too many. 358 of your fellow countryman is a horrific figure. I imagine you'd be happy to tell all those families that the deaths of their loved ones is insignificant?

23. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

"Assault rifles" as many politicians call them have been targeted primarily because they "look scary". While they have the potential to cause more chaos in the commission of a crime, they are rarely used due to mobility and often more stringent licensing and even ammo tracking. Handguns are usually the culprit when it comes to firearms deaths in the commission of crimes.

Now one thing the stats do not show are accidents. There are quite a few accidents with long guns every year.

1 death is horrible. However, there are lives that are also saved because of firearms. Indeed there are major issues with gun laws within the US, but guns are also frequently used successfully in self defense...the latter which is rarely mentioned here. Those 358 losses of life are terrible, but it is conceivable that this figure could be higher if law-abiding citizens did not have a firearm to defend themselves.

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp
    Note the above is likely very inflated but the point is that firearms are also used in self-defense, which makes this a muddy area.

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

And the award for Best Strawman Argument goes to [drum roll]...