Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knackroller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Hi guys, with the recent high scoring games in the European Championships, what are the best games in your opinion?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
High scoring games are all well and good now and again, but they don't automatically mean an entertaining game. I didn't see the Germany match myself (I was watching the England game) but I can imagine they just dominated San Marino, who in turn offered no resistance – you might as well just watch a training ground match. On the other hand, I've seen some very entertaining matches that have ended up either as goalless draws or 1-0 wins – two evenly matched teams battling to get the better of one another and all that.

That said, watching Hull trounce Tranmere Rovers 6-1 a couple of years ago was entertaining. It's only fair to point out though that Tranmere had two goalkeepers taken off injured and had to spend most of the game with an outfield player in goal, but even so seeing the faces of the Tranmere fans as goal after goal went in was a delight. :D

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
knackroller said:
Hi guys, with the recent high scoring games in the European Championships, what are the best games in your opinion?
I don't know much about the high scoring games, but if you are willing to consider women's soccer/football, you will find a lot of blowouts by the major powers. Now, the best games are the competitive matches - be it a well played 1-0/2-1 or high scoring 7-5 affair.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Best game I ever saw live was Millwall vs. Stockport, which finished up 4-3 to County after an Alun Armstrong goal in the 93rd minute. It was real end-to-end stuff right the way through the match.

Best game on TV had to be England vs. Holland in Euro '96, funnily enough the same year as the match above. If only England could play like that every game :(

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
dynamicv said:
Best game on TV had to be England vs. Holland in Euro '96, funnily enough the same year as the match above. If only England could play like that every game :(
If we're talking England then I'd also say our 5-1 drubbing of Germany in 2001. Liverpool's recent Champions League triumph of a couple of years ago also made for great TV - at least, the second-half onwards did.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Jaffa Cake said:
High scoring games are all well and good now and again, but they don't automatically mean an entertaining game. I didn't see the Germany match myself (I was watching the England game) but I can imagine they just dominated San Marino, who in turn offered no resistance – you might as well just watch a training ground match. On the other hand, I've seen some very entertaining matches that have ended up either as goalless draws or 1-0 wins – two evenly matched teams battling to get the better of one another and all that.

That said, watching Hull trounce Tranmere Rovers 6-1 a couple of years ago was entertaining. It's only fair to point out though that Tranmere had two goalkeepers taken off injured and had to spend most of the game with an outfield player in goal, but even so seeing the faces of the Tranmere fans as goal after goal went in was a delight. :D

Hull 7 - 1 Crewe was a far better game and Crewe had their first team goalkeeper throughout the game.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
The top three games in my mind are:

1. England 5 - 1 Germany, 2001
  2. Liverpool 3 - 3 AC Milan (Liverpool Win On Penalties), UEFA Champs. League Final 2005
  3. Liverpool 7 - 1 Birmingham City, FA Cup, 2005

Those were top games...

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Best game, was Wycombe versus Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final. Wycombe did not deserve to loose as it was so close and should have been a draw.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
The Game in istanbul is probably the best game I've ever seen, in any competition.

Actually, Liverpool have a good case for best games in every competition.

FA Cup Final - 3-3 win on pens with a last minute wonder strike.
European Cup - 3-3 win on pens, amazing comeback, amazing save, dudek doing "the grobbelaar"
Premier League - newcastle 4-3

But from a neutral point of view, the European cup final was just about as good as it gets. I would challenge anyone to actually name a more exciting game.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
BakedBeans said:
Anyone that watched that games knows that isn't true
But i do support Wycombe so... it was a good run though. I believe the highest scoreline was 36-0 aswell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.