Soccer; should it be a major sport in America?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zipur, Jun 11, 2019.

?

What’s your favorite sport to watch?

1. America NFL Football

11.6%
  2. Baseball

7.0%
  3. Basketball

7.0%
  4. Soccer

9.3%
  5. Hockey

9.3%
  6. Track & Field

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lacrosse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Racing F1 & Stock Car

4.7%
  9. Tennis

2.3%
  10. Golf

2.3%
  11. Other

25.6%
  12. Cricket

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. None

20.9%
  1. zipur, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019

zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

No flaming allowed
    I’m old school true blue American big three Football NFL, Baseball and my favorite Basketball. In school as a kid/teen I played soccer. I never felt it was an engaging sport. Sure you get a bunch of running and kicking. And it is inclusive where a tiny weak kids can be a star. But when it all boils down you get a 1-nil win; yippee!
    This is not so with other team sports. In all other team sports there is a need for extraordinary individuals. Tall, Strong, Impressive hand eye coordination. Even with single sports like golf, they are doing things only a small percentage of people can do. Now on reflection there is some soccer skills in controlling the ball and kicking it into a 8x24 net. But it doesn’t compare to the skills of a Hockey player or a basketball player for example.
    But what really gets me about soccer is that the majority of games are won due to a penalty kick!
    The entire game is played and very few scores come in the normal play.
    The game soccer requires Penalties for wins and that’s not right. Thus it should not be included as an American Major Sport.

2. raqball macrumors 68000

Huge hockey fan.. I also follow the NFL and MLB but I actually pay for NHL and AHL (minor league) hockey live TV subscriptions..

Never been into soccer, golf, or Nascar

3. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Soccer needs no skills?? WTFF?

Sure everybody can play bad soccer just like a bunch of overweight mid-40s can play some kind of american-rugby with their kids....

The fact that so many games end 1:0 is what build the suspense, watching Germany vs. Estland atm 4:0 after 30min, nice to watch 0 suspense.

Most boring team sport? Basketball, they run right -> score, they run left -> score, rinse repeat.....

4. zipur thread starter macrumors 6502a

zipur

I forgot to mention the Fake Flops they do, it should be embarrassing to throw your body do to get an advantage and possibly a.....Penalty
    Hockey has a way of correcting that.

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

*shrug* sport is war and in war all is allowed.....

But don't forget they don't wear 16" of padding like in other sports.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I guess you never played with people that can actually play good soccer. Go to play at any park in Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Russia... let's see how weak the kids are while they play. Then step it up and bring it to the competitive level. It's not the sports' fault if American schools don't invest as much in soccer which in turn causes it to be played at a lower level than what it should be.

This shows how difficult it is to actually win. That's why a single win in soccer is incredibly important.

Again, it seems that you never played soccer for real. (and unless you're goalie, "Impressive hand-eye coordination" is irrelevant.)

And think about it. The huge net... and yet the score at the highest levels is as you say often 1-0. So make up your mind.

Of course that it doesn't compare. They are different sports.

This is false. With very few exceptions, no national championship goes to the penalty kicks. This amounts for thousands and thousands of games without penalty kicks. The very first round of the World Cup has no penalty kicks. And not that many regular games end up with a penalty kick.

By the way, should you compare the weak fully padded Football player to non-padded Rugby players?

Ultimately, I love baseball.

7. Fangio macrumors 6502

You clearly haven't understood the nature of this sport. FYI, it's called football all over the world, and that was looong before a nation with only ~200-250 yrs of history introduced a rugby variant and gave it the same name.

Football (aka 'soccer') is among the worlds most popular sports on #1 – source. And thats reality, compared to that baseball for example is a niche sport. Iirc the MLB for example tends to call their championships 'World Championchips' :rolleyes: – just plain ridiculous.

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I belong to one of the new protected classes known as straight males who don't follow sports.

9. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Soccer is pretty lame. If it’s not eurotrash in the EU leagues, it floppers in the others. Other sports are just as bad, if not worse. NFL comes to mind.

10. raqball macrumors 68000

I don't know much about soccer as I don't follow it but I was on ESPN just now and saw this...

13-0? That's a lot of scoring.... I know that's not typical score for a soccer game but dang....

[​IMG]

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Well, in all fairness I am pretty sure that 99.9% of the population knows that it's not that all or many countries play. The name (World Championship Series) has been there since 1903 when people really thought that baseball would take over the world (esp. since it was heavily linked to the Theosophical Society) , and it simply never changed. I suggest the book "Baseball in the garden of Eden" for an early history of the sport.

12. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

It’s women’s soccer.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Rookies. Australia-Samoa ended 31-0.

14. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

This clearly would have been a very boring game for soccer fans to watch. For flag waving Americans, I'm sure it was great.

15. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Not the slightest bit interested in soccer. I only watch racing (F1 and WEC) and the NFL, but the NFL is rapidly getting unwatchable with over-officiating and constant rule changes to favor the offense.

16. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

First of all the OP doesn’t even seem to understand the concept of football (soccer for Americans) and thinks it requires no skill with the need to flop to the ground? Lol.

America has been pretty good at football in World Cups of the past but I doubt it will ever have the following it does elsewhere because it’s not a home grown sport. In South America, Europe, and Asia it’s massive, the biggest sport on earth and if the Americans aren’t interested then I say that’s absolutely fine.

It’s very much like the NFL, baseball and ice hockey where there is a healthy following across the world but they are not in the same league as football. America has a very unique set of sports and I say if they want to join the rest of the world 150 years late then great, if not then that’s great too.

18. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

It shouldn’t be a major sport in any country. Most boring sport ever. And I say that as a golf fan.

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Where is the poll’s none choice? :) I grew up clued to American football, have enjoyed baseball playoffs and championships on occasion, but at this point, I would describe myself as completely non interested in professional sports.

20. Scepticalscribe, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Soccer at its best requires a number of skills, and it is not confined to the ability to kick a ball, flop, or hand eye co-ordination.

The very best footballers don't just work on their own skills, they learn how to read a game, and can thus anticipate how others will respond, - their team mates as well as their opponents - and, at their best, they can learn to direct the game at times.

For example, the very best midfielders, the 'generals' of the game, who control the speed and direction of play, possess stunning skills of passing, shooting, running angles, dribbling, actual pace, ability to swiftly change pace, and usually have an incredible ability to control the ball (sometimes at speed, both theirs and that of the ball).

Of even greater importance, they - these midfield players - are also able to read and control the game, by use of intelligent anticipation, and can hold a three dimensional map of the pitch and the positions of the respective players on it in their head - and, - of even greater importance, can anticipate where those players will be - or should be - after a few seconds of constantly evolving play and movement.

The game is constantly evolving, and can be a fascinating reflection of cultures - cultures of countries, and cultures or regions, or towns, or cities, within those countries; early teams played as teams comprised of mostly strikers, but as midfield and defence improved greater number of players found themselves playing - or obliged to play - in those positions.

Even within the past two seasons in England, new standards of excellence (and tactical skills) have been achieved by the two top teams.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. zipur, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

zipur thread starter macrumors 6502a

zipur

I appreciate the responses and the efforts to change my mind. However I still see tons of fake flops in this World Cup match. I don’t think I will ever appreciate soccer since i’m a Basketball And Tennis fan. They are pretty high score types of games. And as for the true naming of the sport, shouldn’t it be called “Kick Ball”

Off topic: observation women’s soccer: it’s interesting to see so much diversity in Democratic countries like Canada, Australia, England, France USA. (I know they are not the only democratic countries just follow my thinking). This goes to show that immigration adds to the flavor and strength of a country.

23. pshufd macrumors 6502a

If it were a major sport, would Boston be in the championships most years?

24. raqball macrumors 68000

Watching golf is like watch grass grow... :p

25. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

They have Major League Soccer in the U.S., so it is already a major sport. I have watched a few games (not a huge fan of soccer) but the whole stadium was filled. So it must be doing alright - not to the level of the NFL, College Football, NBA, College Basketball, MLB, etc...

Also, to the OP - I selected "Other" because I love to watch College Football (you should add that as an option) not a huge fan of the NFL, though I will watch the playoffs and Super Bowl. If the Eagles have a chance, I pay more attention than I usually do!

:apple: