Social media notices the starkly white Democratic debate field.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Oct 14, 2015.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

Daily caller article takes note of a disappointed Twitter brigade pointing out the party’s failure to field a candidate pool that matches the diversity of its voters.

That's tough to wrangle out of. I do not know why someone would have at least sought to feature a faux Dolenzal type to masquerade as black, or faux Indian wannabes like Ward Churchill, among others.

For Pete’s sake, even getting a suntan would have helped a wee bit, no? They do come in a spray can nowadays.

What priceless commentary:
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/13/twitter-cant-get-over-how-white-the-dem-debate-is/

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If only the Democrats could be as diverse as the Republicans. Would it have been so hard to have a clown, like Trump, on stage?

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

When I need cogent, intelligent debate analysis, I always go to The Daily Caller and Twitter. ;)

For the record, on the inside Marco Rubio, Bobby Jindal and Ben Carson are whiter than Bernie Sanders' hair.

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

They're all just a bunch of token minorities wiling to embrace all the negative ethnical stereotype views most Republicans have about minorities.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Sources?

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

7. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Racist Dems want to keep minorities on the plantation of endless state dependence. It's a brilliant (but absolute scummy) plot they cooked up starting with the War on Poverty (tm). They get the votes and stay in power for decade after decade after decade after decade (e.g. Detroilet and Baltimore) meanwhile promising more freebies (thanks to the few taxpayers they have left) but nothing actually gets better on these poor state dependent souls. Brilliant plan, eh?

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The process to get into the primaries is well established and open to anybody willing to go through it.

If there wasn't an African-American on stage last night, it's because nobody felt ready to commit themselves to that process, and not because the party prevented them.

No. It's wing-nut, partisan conspiracy theory, beneath the dignity of discussion and used by those who should be fitted with tinfoil hats, eh?

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My first reaction was, you're no @FieldingMellish.

9 out of the 10 poorest states are red states.
    Republican-leaning states get more in federal dollars than they pay in taxes.
    97 percent of the 100 poorest counties in America are in red states.

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Lol. Who's playing the race card now?

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The irony of Republicans - who've spent most of the past eight years calling into question the very citizenship of our first African-American President - carping about a lack of diversity in the Democratic debate, is simply stunning.

When 9 out of ten African-Americans, and better than 75% of Latino Americans start regularly voting Republican, then its time to worry. Or the Congressional Black Caucus, which numbers 42 Democratic Representatives, and one Senator - to a single Republican, starts looking a little redder - then its time to get concerned.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

LOL, lets conveniently forget that they elected an African American as POTUS the last 2 time around. Please, avert your eyes from the White House. ;) God you guys are the ones that are priceless., no wait... desperate. :):)

13. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

The thing is, you can't be an older or whiter old man than the Bern. He appears to have broken through as a white old man not stigmatized for being a white old man.

Envision Bern in a Pilgrim outfit and tell me he'd not make a convincing visage on The History Channel.

He needn't change a thing. Just don the outfit and he's ready for the camera.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bwah-ha-ha! That's the kind of crazy spin you hear from Uncle Rush. :p

You might want to get out of the basement and actually talk to some Dems.

15. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

That's because the Democrats minorities aren't token minorities like Republicans.

The GOP propping up non-politicians like Cain and Carson is just them saying "LOOK!, We're totally not racist! We have a black guy that agrees with us!"

Obama won the nomination because he was the best Democrat, not because he was a black Democrat. Same with Hillary right now, she's the best Democrat. And it's not because she's a woman.

Notice how most of the minority Republicans are all on the national stage. Most black politicians are Democrats, but the majority of them are not in the national picture. The only black Republican I can think of who doesn't get a lot of attention is Mia Love.

Southern (conservative, ahem) Democrats used to be racist so therefore all Democrats in 2015 are racist.

It's the only thing Republicans have to lean back on. "B-b-but Democrats were the racist party!!!"

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet he would be younger than one Ronald Wilson Reagan at inauguration time. You may want to check your statement.

BL.

17. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Fusion host Jorge Ramos: "When I was watching the debate, what I was thinking was the Democratic Party lacked diversity,” “I didn’t see a Latino, or an African American, or an Asian on that stage.”

White Dem Debbie Wasserman Schultz, proficiently evasive, went right into pre-planned response mode and talked about our first black president, effectively dodging the question.

So, forever after, lily white rich Dem candidates of the future will harken back to Obama. Is that a token excuse?

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

How many non-whites were there in the 2008 Republican nominations for POTUS? 2004? 2000? 1996? 1992? 1988? 1984? 1980?

Lessee..

Reagan and Rockefeller in 1980.
    Reagan/Bush in 1984.
    Bush in 1988.
    Bush in 1992.
    Dole in 1996.
    Bush and McCain in 2000.
    Bush/Cheney in 2004.
    McCain in 2008.

In short: The reds had NO diversity for 32 years in their races for POTUS. Herman Cain was one of the first to show up that wasn't white, in 2012.

The Blues? Jackson in 1984. Jackson again in 1988. Jackson again in 1992. I believe even Sharpton ran between 1992 and 2000.

you have no room to talk about diversity or lack thereof in one party without mentioning the other. But I do congratulate you. You are descending further than @waloshin and are entering the ranks of @IntheNet and @Full of Win. They didn't last long with your platform, either.

BL.

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I wouldn't expect a racist to understand this but it isn't about the color of the candidate's skin, its about the policies that the candidate supports and whether or not those policies would benefit minorities. That is why minorities vote for the Democratic party.

The Republicans can prop up all of the token minority candidates they want but until Republican policies actually benefit minorities, they won't be getting much, if any, of the minority vote.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Didn't someone say something roughly 52 years ago about not being judged by the colour of their skin but the content of their character?

Wow.. what a huge step backwards some people in this forum have taken.

BL.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's a bad argument. While Cain, Fiorina, Rubio, Jindal, etc. all hit certain demographic checkboxes, they're certainly not token minorities brought up just to prove something about the GOP. Both parties are experience demographic shifts because the country is changing. (Hence, the frenzied babble of Huckabee and Trump.)

Jindal is a governor. Rubio is a U.S. senator. Florina drove a multinational company into the ground.

I think they're ideologically compromised, but it's unfair to call any of these candidates token.

People are weirdly focused on the race of candidates as if checking a demographic checkbox is the only thing that matters in elections. It's become clear that while the GOP has accepted that pandering to a racially-diverse audience is an important bit of political kabuki, while Democrats appear more interested in proposing policies that might actually help Latinos, African-Americans, etc. (The Asian vote, once securely in the GOP tent has shifted to the DNC.)

While a recent GOP event looked like the dinner hour at a retirement home, it was clear that Sanders' thick New Yawk accent and spritz of white hair isn't keeping away a diverse set of voters, both young and old, white, black and Hispanic.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I honestly would have called Ben Carson, token, thinking he'd struggle for much, if any, support for his candidacy. Fiorina, IMO, was more of a legitimate candidate, if only because I could see her in a Vice Presidential role. But Carson's popularity—and therefore, legitimacy—took me by surprise.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Liberals don't accept that type of behavior. Look at Howard Dean, he basically lost for being a little excited. LOL
    Kind of ironic who gets called the conservatives.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda