social stigmas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jul 6, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

i remember seeing a tv show on the brief recent history of the beard (and its widening acceptance in corporate america)

what other things are considered stigmas by a lot of american, or british society? or the society where you live (i lived in us and england)

here are a few that carried some stigma at times in my life

men with an earring, or men with two (depending on which decade)
    men with too much jewelry or gaudy jewelry
    women with underarm hair
    tattoos
    motorcycles
    mullets
    body piercing
    etc...

note: i may or may not like these things personally, but at times in my life, certain things on the list got negative responses from the larger general public (i used to wear an earring but when two became more common, i took mine out...also i sometimes wear gaudy jewelry)

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It's worth noting that the last bearded U.S. president was Lincoln, I think. Or someone else at the end of the 19th century. In any case, it's been well over 100 years.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've certainly dealt with some stigmas placed upon me due to my appearance.

since i have peircings, stretched ears, and visible tattoos i have to deal with all the crap that goes along with it.

the most annoying is perhaps the stretched ears and the comments i get about not being african. never really understood that. ear stretching is common in a lot of other areas, perhaps even more so than africa. :confused:

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Heh - if I see a guy sporting only a mustache (no beard), I figure he's either a motorcycle cop, or an airline pilot. :)

I'd love to be able to have a goatee, as I cut my hair extremely short (I'm, erm...getting thin on top), but my job won't allow it. Not that there's necessarily a stigma against it (there might be), but a goatee makes it harder for my oxygen mask to seal properly.

6. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I wouldn't have my job if I had a visible tattoo or a piercing. That's the number one reason that keeps me from getting a tattoo, apart form my irrational fear of needles, of course :eek:. I personally find women's armpit hair unappealing, but I wouldn't judge anyone who chose not to trim it.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You should just tell them you are African - and that they are too. After all, if you trace human ancestry back far enough, it takes us back to region around Kenya and Tanzania

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

When I dress for flash, I go completely haberdashered; camel-hair topcoat, pocket handkerchief w/matching tie, gloves, silk scarf, brilliantly polished shoes, diamond stickpin, french cuffs w/diamond cufflinks, and lastly a dress hat (usually a fedora). Hats used to be an absolute part of a gentlemen's attire. But, John F. Kennedy did not like hats (probably because of his fine head of hair). Anyway, hats quickly went out of style, even though I think they look sharp.

I reserve dressing this way, except on special occasions, maybe 6-8 times a year, in the Fall-Winter months. I get kidded a lot that I look like I need a violin case for my Tommy Gun, to give it the total effect. Men seldom deck themselves out much anymore. It really is not very practical. Still, I like doing it and am not interested in 'approval'. Being eccentric does have its advantages.

9. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

that is so cool that you are eccentric

i dress conservatively, but i do have a flashy, rapstar-type, high school ring

the class rings for men come in at least three styles of let's say, small signet ring, medium signet or stone, and full bore superbowl type ring with tons of writing on it and everything minus your atm pin number...and it's the superbowl ring i wear

at my age, middle age and don't ask, very few people wear stuff that gaudy

what rings i see men wear in my conservative, mostly waspy town, may be a small signet ring like i used to see on the west end of london, but even rarely then

my wife thinks the ring looks ridiculous

my girlfriend before that thought it looked low class

and sometimes people give me a look, in the button down environment where i live, as if i had, stretched ears with piercings, but was also 60 years old

i do know this man who is from this largely white and retired, upper middle class neighborhood, son of a celebrity, who wants a rack (diamond studded retainer type thing)...and outside of vanilla ice, he is the only blond haired man who will sport one that i can think of

i love it when somebody changes convention in every socio economic group and changes things up

we are human and were not all designed to be exactly alike

kudos to you...and to indiana jones and his earrings!

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I don't believe they are necessary any longer, now that Gays have come out. :p

I buzz my head every 2 weeks (or when it gets annoying). And I think I might do a beard this Winter.