Society and Dinner Dates.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

This article reports that very few people now have dinner dates unless they are in a committed relationship. They claim that the high prices of eating out, online dating where you can meet a lot of people in a short time, and social media have contributed to the demise of the dinner date. Surprisingly, the article didn't blame it on Trump :).

Do you believe that people use dinner dates to meet others or is the dinner date obsolete ?

2. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I think it depends. I've dealt with some cheap dudes in the past who wouldn't take me to dinner but my fiancé is an absolute gentleman.

I don't think they're obsolete but they are definitely going out of style. Men aren't bothered to properly woo a woman anymore and many women have lowered their standards.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

No clue, been married too long. But I see nothing wrong with a dinner date. You get to find out more about the person than most other type dates, don't you? If it's not a dinner date, what is a more popular way of dating a new person?

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Dinner date is one of the most important types of interactions when first meeting. You learn a ton about a person by seeing how they respond to questions, facial expressions, speaking manner...

Even what they eat, how they eat, and how they hold a fork can be pretty telling without saying a word.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

While I'm relatively old (mid-40s) and have been out of the dating pool for nearly 10 years (thank god), I am perplexed at this trend. Having dinner out is fun, and coupled with a little wine, spurs conversation...which should be perfect meeting new people. That said, in an era where people look at their phones more than their company - I guess this shouldn't be too surprising...

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Money vs time is a factor. If you're cycling through dates and it's dinner each time that's going to be expensive. If the date sucks, you have to wait for your food to get there and you have to eat it before leaving. Coffee is quicker and cheaper. Don't like the date, down your venti, low fat, whipped mocha macchiato and pop smoke outta there.

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Dinner date ups your chances of getting laid dramatically, or it sinks you pretty quick. That's half the fun.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So does a night at the bar, worst case you end up with a coyote ugly.

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I can't agree as much. Coffee and bars are tools, but nothing wins 'em over like A game over dinner. And you don't have to worry about SJW regret rape charges the next week because everyone was sober.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I've been out of the game for a while, I never even thought of that.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't like to talk to new people enough to make it through a whole dinner with someone.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well if you do decide to go out on a dinner date, remember: eating any amount of cheese before a date is too much cheese.

14. DrewDaHilp1, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016

DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Hehe. I heard about that on the radio.

ETA: Oh man I didn't even see that was Tucker, I love his I can't believe you're that stupid look.

[​IMG]

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The dinner date - a proper dinner date - will never be obsolete; for once, I find myself in agreement with @Technarchy; you learn so much about someone from how they conduct themselves at dinner, and at the table, from their conversation - how their mind works - indeed, if their mind works, - wine, wit, are they well read, knowledgeable about music, literature, politics, history, culture, - how they handle cutlery, crockery, how they treat serving staff, - this is all very interesting and useful to know - and so on.

Oh, yes,

And, @Plutonius, the introduction of Mr Trump to the topic is an irrelevance.

Actually, I am such a fan of dinner dates - that I even see friends for dinner, and sometimes family, and not only the classic, 'dinner dates'. I also used to host dinner parties fairly frequently.

Even in my student days, I went on dinner dates, (bills usually - but not always - split, by the way) and loved fine dining.

Actually, fine dining is something I place a lot of store by, - I like studying the food cultures of countries I work in - especially when I am working abroad.

17. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Men just probably aren't as interested in paying for everything as they were in Victorian times.

18. RedOrchestra Suspended

Been married a long time BUT still get a thrill out of dining out on date nights (which are twice a month.)

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

"To meet others" is a key part of your question. The meeting occurs (in most cases) before the dinner date.

So in that case, people don't usually commit to dinner dates with someone they haven't met.

Or did I misunderstand the question?

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I took it as first meet/get to know type date.
    Meet someone on internet chat it up a bit, ask out, meet in person, make sure they aren't Ted Bundy or his female equivalent.

21. citizenzen, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2016 ---
    I'd work up toward dinner with coffee, a stroll in a park, a drink at a bar ... some place public so the SJW couldn't hit me with fake rape charges.

Fool me once ...

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Dinner dates with someone you totally don't know are extremely awkward in my opinion, I'd do dinner on a third or fourth date. If the person had a lot to talk about maybe it would be okay.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Don't go to the expensive place , Chuy's no.9 soft chicken taco and tostada $8 or go dutch, I mean you gotta eat. :)

24. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Channeling your inner millennial?

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I get what you are saying but then the woman is going to tell all her friends how cheap you were. "OMG Becky, he asked if it was okay if we went dutch."
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2016 ---
    Nah I'm more of a Pumpkin Spice Latte kinda guy.

26. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So what, no need to hide your cheapness and spring it on her after you are married. ;)