Society and Drunk Pets

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I never realized it was a problem till I read this article. Vets are treating more and more drunk pets. Some of it can be attributed to alcohol left out where the pet can get at it but much of it is now due to owners purposely getting their pets drunk for Youtube videos and such.

It's a sad commentary on our society.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

One way or another, most of youtube is a sad commentary on our society.

3. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Where there is freedom there is also the possibility of anarchy... and “worse”.

I’d put up a comment wondering why, if people report a “drunk pet” video to You Tube, it would not immediately be taken down. But then I realized one may see videos of human beings being abused or killed on the internet also, so...

Where there is freedom there is also the possibility of making money off lowest common denominator curiosities and perversions.

We joke around in here sometimes, pointing to misappropriations or other abuse of assorted freedoms, that “this is why we can’t have nice things.” But --and no joke-- drunk pet videos as a thing on You Tube are a sign of something a lot deeper than failure of human decency.

Having said that, I found hilarious the front end of that episode in The Wire when Ziggy acquired a pet duck with a suitably classy diamond necklace and took it to the bar with him: “A shot for my counselor here, Dolores...”

I must point out though that we never saw the duck actually drunk, just drinking (something), and the next time we saw the character of that duck he was portrayed as splayed out dead on the pool table. There was a message there, but what we remember was the high comedy of a duck in a bar, drinking.

It’s like humanity is in one long blackout sometimes. The only account of a blackout that sticks with me is one confided to me by a friend who came out of a blackout to find himself standing in a stranger’s living room in Montana, looking into the twin barrels of a shotgun and being invited (calmly) to leave. “I figure,” he said, “the sound of the shells clicking in must have registered in my brain somehow and I snapped out of whatever I’d just been up to.”

The equivalent of that Montana rancher doesn’t really exist on the net. We may be banned or our stuff may be taken down but someone, somewhere will have seen our caper and the front end of it may be emulated over and over again just because it's possible to do it.

The back end, where the intruder --the duck-- or the past-guidelines author of some ban-worthy post is visibly dealt consequences? Apparently that doesn’t always register in our consciousness. I suppose there’s a theoretical tapering off due to sheer attrition of perpetrators, but that trend must get measured in centuries, assuming there’s that much time left to this circus.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sadly, this is only one of many sad commentaries on our society.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

heck the existence of the commentary itself is a sad commentary on our society.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Some of it is due to - naturally, this would give rise to a different commentary on society - to the animals in question themselves developing quite a liking for - and taste for - alcohol.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

as any cat owner, my cat controls me. I can't have a drunken Master.

8. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

On the other hand we, in this forum at least, are living in a part of society that still has the right --and the means-- to make commentary about society, or about anything else, on the net. In theory at least, such freedom of expression is a valuable right. It has to be worth something to us and perhaps to other people who can access the net since we seem willing to pay for it while it persists.

Maybe the person who put up a drunk pet video will not only have remorse but grow up to become a veterinarian if he or she happened to see the article in the OP’s link.

But maybe the person who never even saw a drunk pet video will at least refrain from making one in adulthood.

Monkey no see, monkey perhaps not reinvent wheel.

But whose inventions shall we censor? Who gets to see what’s out there?

(is lack of broadband access in the 21st century a form of censorship?)

Who gets to decide what’s missing is a drunk pet video or a virtual tour of an art museum or a couple news articles of what the 400-page FCC document on “Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet” is all about?
    I just don't want us to end up where we get to see the drunk pets video but not the article from the veterinarian. I don't want to bail out from a slow download of my online paper with its announcement of a free rabies clinic next Saturday and Sunday, just because my provider is throttling everything that doesn't pay for speedy content delivery. Having a care for net neutrality can help ensure that, in my opinion.

But, now back to the drunk pets video... brought to you with careful neutrality...

9. Scepticalscribe, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, years ago, in my postgrad days, I had arranged to meet a group of friends in a pub.

The pub was one of those slightly scruffy local pubs that used to be found more frequently in those days, not into fashion or demographics, and possibly all the better for it.

Anyway, it attracted a very wide clientele; some academics who lived locally, students, tradesmen who lived and worked in the area, retirees who loved locally, locals who were unemployed, some of the local police who lived in the area, local doctors, and so on. A wide range of ages, and occupations.

The day in question, we had arrived early, and sought refuge in my favourite corner of the pub; for once, rather than being cosily curled up in the actual corner - I love walls to my rear - I was on the outside of our small group, an untouched, but freshly poured pint of beer in front of me on the low bar table.

At the (empty) counter, a guy chatted to the barman, and ordered a drink. His labrador was with him, standing beside him, off the lead. I paid them no heed.

This wasn't so unusual; that was the kind of pub where people felt free to bring dogs, as long as the dogs were well behaved. They tended to curl up under the bar tables, or sit quietly, beside a bar stool, or, stretch out quietly, at their owner's feet.

I don't believe I ever heard one of them bark, not even when I tripped over a black labrador - it had blended in so well in the dim light with a very dark carpet that I hadn't even seen it - lying stretched out beside a low bar table on a completely different occasion.

Anyway, that particular day, I was seated, contemplating my drink, my companions chatting in that easy way one has before raising the first glass of beer to your lips, when there was a movement to my side.

With impressive speed, and breath-taking braggadocio, the labrador at the counter had abandoned his owner and trotted confidently down to our table. Barely breaking stride, in one fluid motion, his front paws were on the table, and his snout was buried deep in my pint of beer.

I watched, stupefied, - actually, mesmerised - as he slurped noisily, emptying over three quarters of the pint before he lifted his head to draw breath, paws still confidently planted on the table. It was clear to me that this was not the first time that dog had had a pint of beer. Actually, I stared - I could hardly believe my eyes - at my almost empty pint glass, drained in a matter of seconds by a thirsty labrador.

Meanwhile, my companions, initially gobsmacked, were helpless with laughter.

By then, his owner had drawn level, hugely embarrassed (we had never seen the guy before) and claimed the dog, returning with it to the bar counter. The barman, smothering his grin, immediately proceeded to pour me a fresh drink without demur.

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

^^ Definitely the best "shaggy dog" story I ever heard LOL

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Fantastic!!!

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Clearly, the dog thought your beer was a Labrador, and he was retrieving it.

Or the dog was a Labeerdor retriever.

I'll see myself out.

13. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

This is how we know we're in a "safe space." In a real bar you'd have been 86'd for that one.