Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i just filled out the request form for the Softimage|XSI Experience CD on Saturday and when i got home this afternoon it was there in my mailbox!! how quick is that?!!! and they sent it first class air mail!!

anyone else who is interested in 3D, you should really get the Experience CD. it's got over 70 video tutorials and covers everything from compositing to modelling and rendering. and it's free!! :D all you have to do is go to www.softimage.com and follow the links to the Experience CD request form. it only takes a few minutes to fill out the form and then you can start training yourself in Softimage|XSI!!!:D

and i thought it was good that Alias|Wavefront released Maya PLE!!

well, it is, but now i can learn Maya and Softimage|XSI :D :D :D

Solipsys

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2001
XSI for mac?

I wonder if we'll ever see SoftImage for OSX? It's out for Linux so maybe the port would be "relatively" easy. I'm still waiting for Maya Unlimited to show up for OSX... subdivision surface modelling is a major component that's missing from Maya Complete and it's the only reason I'm forced to use a PC.

Maybe MWNY?!?!

Solipsys

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2001
Ha!

Well, you got me... for "legal" reasons let's just say that I'm still using Maya Unlimited at school... which was actually Maya on Irix. Pixar donated 10 SGI Indigo machines to my school that they had used for the first Toy Story. I got hooked on Maya so once I graduated I needed to have it at home... so I put together a 1.5GHZ P4 for $600 (jeez, that really makes mac prices look outrageous). I know Arn hates talk about software piracy, but in terms of programs like Maya I believe Alias|Wavefront draws a line between large studios and personal users. The percentage of professional studios that can actually justify the price of Maya Unlimited is so small that individual artists like me simply fall under the radar of their prospective clientele... they'd rather have us learning their tools and propagating its use than exhaust their R+D resources trying to create an "unpiratable" product.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
oh, oh!

i just realised that XSI is only for PC. :eek: not a problem though, but it looks like i will be learning a lot more of Maya for now...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.