Sold a good 9800gx2 on eBay and now the guy says it's not working

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nizmoz, Jul 2, 2011.

1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

What should I do on this? This card worked fine for years in my machine and it was packed good in original packing. He told me it had the correct lights on it for working but he isn't getting any display from it. He tried to sli it with another card and then by itself. Now he is upset it doesn't work. Now it's not my fault he screwed up my card which is highly possible. But him saying he has a blue and yellow light on tells me it's working. Not sure what else to tell him as I said sold as is and no refunds.

I am afraid he might slam my perfect 11 year eBay profile of 100% with bad feedback and hit paypal with a refund.

2. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

If you are worried about the feedback, just take it back. Not much you can do. A risk of selling on eBay.

3. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Not going to take it back for something he most likely damaged. I even said no returns on the eBay auction.

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Is there a way that he can prove it's faulty while running in his machine? With a video, perhaps?

Just an idea - not sure if that's viable or if it can be faked.

5. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

No idea as he isn't very responsive to emails. I sent him some troubleshoot documents and showed him some pics of the LEDs. Said the ones he told me that are on means its working. My guess is he plugged it into the wrong dvi port or something. Either way he is doing something wrong.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

It doesnt matter if you sold it as no returns if you stated in the auction that it was working then you have to provide a working card...
    what sucks is you dont know if it was defective before hand or if he broke it when he got it, and theres really no way to prove that either way...

the way to get around that is to put unested as-is then you would be safe..but might not get as many buyers...its just a decision you have to make..

he remembered to plug in the external power connector if it has one right?

7. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

It was tested because I pulled it out of my machine and shipped it the next day. It was a working card period.

I asked him if he plugged in both the external power connectors and he hasn't responded to any of my emails asking him all these questions. So no idea.

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Not if the buyer is an idiot or a fraud and damaged it himself.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

On every 4 different ATI card I have used during boot up the same image is sent to all monitors regardless of what the setting are in windows. I think the my record was I had my TV and 2 monitors all on during boot up displaying the BIOS. Now as soon as windows fully booted up it dropped back to the standard 2 monitors.

I also know on 2 different internal graphic laptops I have used it would do the same thing during boot up. It did not matter if things were plug in or not during boot up the image was sent to all monitors but as soon as OS drivers would load it would drop back to what ever I had set up in the OS.

I would assume that is fairly standard for all graphic card and Nvidia would do the same thing as above. I just have never been around a computer running an Nvidia card and multiple monitors so I would not know.

Now that being said if the card is not plugged into an extrernal power supply if it needs more power I know for a fact that it will not display jack. I forgot to plug back in my X800 on my desktop and during the BIOS screen nothing would display and it was because the card did not have enough power.

10. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

11. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Well my Nvidia card at work and this one has never done that on both my monitors. You had to make sure you plugged it into the correct one or you wouldn't see a display.

12. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

a 9800GX2 requires a 6 pin AND an 8 pin PCI-E power cable.
    I sold my XFX 2 weeks ago, and the buyer couldnt get it working with 2x6pin and had to get an adaptor (8 pin's are rare these days)

To bad you didn't upload your 3dmark results the same day you shipped the card, that would have made your case (even) better.

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

eBay will almost always side with the buyer. Even to the point of a paypal refund.

14. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

This. The best thing you can do is ask him to ship the card back to you. That way if it's just his idiocy in not getting it to work, you'll have the working card back. If he broke it or is frauding you, there's not much you can do. I've been screwed by scammers on ebay so many times, I don't sell there anymore, period. They do absolutely nothing to protect sellers.

15. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

There's a (sadly) not uncommon scam scenario which goes like this.

Buyer has faulty product X.
    Buyer buys same product X on ebay.
    Buyer says product X bought on ebay doesn't work.
    Seller says, OK, return product X.
    Buyer returns faulty product X and keeps working product X bought on ebay.
    Seller is none the wiser, unless they were wise enough to keep photographic evidence of serial numbers, etc.

Not saying this is what has happened here, but I always get suspicious when I read stories like yours.

16. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Well whatever route you take, I wish you good luck. eBay has turned their backs to sellers with their asinine policy changes over the years. We can no longer give replies to negative feedback, paypal holds our funds for review if buyers dont leave feedback, and much more. My suggestion is to use Amazon next time.